i have a question

NEWYORK20004

My hair is natural, dense, tightly coiled, thick, naturally dry, course, midback, and 4b/a. whenever I straighten my hair its always very dry and never combable (let me rephrase). My hair straightens but I still cant put a comb through it. My regimen is detangle w/denman followed by fine comb while conditioner is in hair. (pantene and amla oil) Deep condition over night or under the dryer, rinse, shampoo, apply more conditioner(pantene and amla mix), braid, spritz scalp and hair with nugro leave in treatment; oil scalp every few days with megatek or oil mixture. I use sedu flat iron on 375; one thing I’ve noticed when I turn the flat iron on, it always smells like something is burning no matter what temp. I always use heat protectant (fantasia ic or knock off chi silk infusion). Ive tried the comb chase method but once my hair is in its dry state no comb is getting through it without severe breakage. Why cant I straighten my hair? Do I have the iron to high, anything less than 375 would be waste of time and I still wont be able to put a comb through my hair. Is my flat iron defective? Suggestions?

luckiestdestiny

IDK if you need a new flat iron or not, but I've found that I MUST have a good flat iron. IF yours is in need of being put out to pasture, you might just want to do that.

In addition, I di the whole amla mix thing for a while and noticed it made my hair HARDER to straighten (I'm a natural and I'm past MBL too so I KNOW what you go through). I mean, after I used amla for a while, every time I straightened it was like a JOKE. So I suggest that your leave in conditioner when you're going to straighten is NOT amla, and is more moisturizing. You might want to try a pure moisture one, since you're always strengthening your hair with amla. One good one is the avocado one from shescentit.com I also like silicon mix too, it has good slip. Lay off the megatek around that time too...I'm not saying not to use it, but layoff when you're trying to straighten your hair. You also don't want your hair coated with so much stuff, that could be why you are getting a burnt smell (possibly or your flat iron needs to be chucked) and also why combing through it is so hard. I wash, condition, deep condition, wash out while leaving some conditioner in. I also spray some lacio lacio mixed with water, and lock it in with sabino moisture block (which is also a heat protectant). When it dries I add a little more heat protectant and then flat iron in small sections chasing the comb.
HTH

luckiestdestiny

I must add that these are all thin layers. Thin layer of conditioner left in. My lacio lacio mix is one part lacio to about 10-12 parts water and shake. So it's REALLY thin coating on the hair. Same with the SMB it's a thin coating. You want your hair protected but not overly sticky, tacky.

NEWYORK20004

IDK if you need a new flat iron or not, but I've found that I MUST have a good flat iron. IF yours is in need of being put out to pasture, you might just want to do that.

In addition, I di the whole amla mix thing for a while and noticed it made my hair HARDER to straighten (I'm a natural and I'm past MBL too so I KNOW what you go through). I mean, after I used amla for a while, every time I straightened it was like a JOKE. So I suggest that your leave in conditioner when you're going to straighten is NOT amla, and is more moisturizing. You might want to try a pure moisture one, since you're always strengthening your hair with amla. One good one is the avocado one from shescentit.com I also like silicon mix too, it has good slip. Lay off the megatek around that time too...I'm not saying not to use it, but layoff when you're trying to straighten your hair. You also don't want your hair coated with so much stuff, that could be why you are getting a burnt smell (possibly or your flat iron needs to be chucked) and also why combing through it is so hard. I wash, condition, deep condition, wash out while leaving some conditioner in. I also spray some lacio lacio mixed with water, and lock it in with sabino moisture block (which is also a heat protectant). When it dries I add a little more heat protectant and then flat iron in small sections chasing the comb.
HTH

i actually dont use amla oil in my hair when im stragihtening. i follow the same regimen but after i shampoo i blow dry using the tension method, than i apply fantasia ic or silk infusion and flat iron on 375. my hair is very course and tightly coiled when its dry, idk maybe i need more products in my hair before i flat iron.

NEWYORK20004

I must add that these are all thin layers. Thin layer of conditioner left in. My lacio lacio mix is one part lacio to about 10-12 parts water and shake. So it's REALLY thin coating on the hair. Same with the SMB it's a thin coating. You want your hair protected but not overly sticky, tacky.

do you flat iron when your hair is completly dry or damp

NEWYORK20004

thanks for your help i might need to try sabino that might help to straighten my hair. what flat iron do you use

LaBelleLL

Maybe you need a better flat iron and/or you have to straighten through different methods. I have type 3c hair and to properly straighten my hair with absolutely no heat damage is to roller set, blow dry and flat iron. Yes, it's a lot of work, but perhaps this may work for you.

In terms of moisterizing, i'd suggest doing a homemade/commercial pre-poo/conditioner. This weekend, my mix was some Ausse Moist conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil, few tbs of honey; before I put the mix, I put on some Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor to add some protein. It worked really well for my and my hair was def moisturized. So, perhaps you can play around with mixes to provide the best level of moisture your hair needs.

For softness, use Silicon Mix. I used it last night and it made my hair very soft (too soft actually). My friend with your type hair (4a/b, desnse, tightly coiled, etc.) swears by S.M. and says it works extremely well for her. So, try this product.

Good luck and I hope this info will help!

NEWYORK20004

Maybe you need a better flat iron and/or you have to straighten through different methods. I have type 3c hair and to properly straighten my hair with absolutely no heat damage is to roller set, blow dry and flat iron. Yes, it's a lot of work, but perhaps this may work for you.

In terms of moisterizing, i'd suggest doing a homemade/commercial pre-poo/conditioner. This weekend, my mix was some Ausse Moist conditioner, coconut oil, olive oil, few tbs of honey; before I put the mix, I put on some Aphogee 2 min reconstrutor to add some protein. It worked really well for my and my hair was def moisturized. So, perhaps you can play around with mixes to provide the best level of moisture your hair needs.

For softness, use Silicon Mix. I used it last night and it made my hair very soft (too soft actually). My friend with your type hair (4a/b, desnse, tightly coiled, etc.) swears by S.M. and says it works extremely well for her. So, try this product.

Good luck and I hope this info will help!

thanks for your help