I need help

NEWYORK20004

i dont know why it takes days to finger comb my hair, it seems no matter how many times i try to finger comb my hair and than try to comb through it with a wide tooth comb my hair just says no. I wash and deep condition weekly, and i recently bought some indian oils and powders in hope that it would help the health and maintenance of my hair. I see other naturals that can comb and flat iron there in a few hours, but mine takes weeks. I bought a denman brush but i still cant get it through my hair, even with finger combing first followed by a wide tooth comb. All i want is to sraighten my hair so i can put it in conrows, any advice would be helpful.

I have 4a/b natural bra strap length hair
deep condition-redken all soft, henna
cleANSE-amla, shakakhi (sp)
Styling-indian oils, castor oil, palm red butter

Last edited:

NEWYORK20004

i dont co wash cause that would cause even more matts and tangles, i edited my original post with rmy regimen

Neith

Do you use a leave in or moisturizer of any kind?

I'm not familiar with the shikaki and alma, but I assume that they leave your hair soft?

How often do you henna and how do you use it? Using henna too often can make your hair hard and brittle.

Do you deep condition with or without heat and for how long?

Iluvsmuhgrass

When my hair is too much to handle, I try to detangle in 8 sections. I'm not natural though. Maybe the natural heads can chime in. It sounds like the herbs are making your hair strong but kinda hard to detangle...

NEWYORK20004

i just started using hena, ive only used it once with castor oil, amla. I do try to comb my hair in sections but it doesnt seem to work (tangles and matts not combable), i apply oil and butter as my leave in. i wear my hair in six big plates in a pony tail, when i deep condition i leave it on for an hour without heat.

Neith

i just started using hena, ive only used it once with castor oil, amla. I do try to comb my hair in sections but it doesnt seem to work (tangles and matts not combable), i apply oil and butter as my leave in. i wear my hair in six big plates in a pony tail, when i deep condition i leave it on for an hour without heat.

:scratchch

I think that maybe you're not using the products best suited to your hair. A good deep conditioner should really soften your hair up and really cut down on tangles.

If your hair is horribly tangled even after DCing, it may not be the right product for you.

Have you ever tried aubrey organics honeysuckle rose? It's a board favorite and it's worth a try imo.

Also, maybe you should start using a creamy leave in conditioner in addition to your oils and butter. It would provide further slip and moisture.

Last edited:

NEWYORK20004

ive pretty much tried evey product that was recomended by the board, and have used a creamy leave in. i guess my hair just requires alot of patience and time, im going to have to just part my hair and small sections loaded with conditioner and comb through it.
thanks neith for your suggestions, i really appreciate it

msa

Now this may not be helpful at all but...

I think detangling in really small sections may just work. I think when you first start doing it, it might be difficult and you'll still have lots of tangles but if you continue on it'll get easier and easier. I know from experience that if you leave it "for next time" it just gets worse.

If you're not opposed to it I would suggest getting one of the cheap conditioners that are moisturizing (like tresemme or suave humectant) and drench your hair in it to detangle and section and then dc. And, maybe try detangling more often until you get the tangles under control.

HTH

Platinum

You may want to cut back on the Shikaikai powder. It can be very drying. Try 2 parts Amla powder to 1 part Shikaikai powder and see if that helps.

NEWYORK20004

Now this may not be helpful at all but...

I think detangling in really small sections may just work. I think when you first start doing it, it might be difficult and you'll still have lots of tangles but if you continue on it'll get easier and easier. I know from experience that if you leave it "for next time" it just gets worse.

If you're not opposed to it I would suggest getting one of the cheap conditioners that are moisturizing (like tresemme or suave humectant) and drench your hair in it to detangle and section and then dc. And, maybe try detangling more often until you get the tangles under contro

my only issue with my hair is detangling, it takes so long and i still have shed hair. i think i wait to long and the hairs accumalte. I know a relaxer wont help because i had this same problem with relaxed hair, im going to give what you said a try and see if that works