Proper way to Flat iron relaxed airdried hair

Songbirdb

I used to flat iron my hair so lovely when I used to blow dry first then flat iron. Now, it doesn't look or feel as nice and smooth. I must be doing something wrong. I let my hair air dry straight. Add my heat protectant then go to work. Now it seems like my hair sometimes sticks.... like i'll run my comb thru my hair and it'll get stuck on something. Before, when I used my hair dryer with comb attachment, then flat iron, I'd run a comb thru and it will do thru with no probs. This is a wide tooth comb ladies (my Jilbre shower comb). Is there a better way to do this for a smoother finish with air drying?

bravenewgirl87

Something is wrong with your airdrying technique.

What DC are you using? What conditioner do you rinse with? What are you shampooing with and what leave-in did you use?

Also, how much?

Songbirdb

Something is wrong with your airdrying technique.

What DC are you using? What conditioner do you rinse with? What are you shampooing with and what leave-in did you use?

Also, how much?

For Deep Condish I was using DPR-11 by Elasta Qp, my rinse condish is Sunsilk Hydra TLC, I shampoo with diluted Elasta QP Poo with pep oil and my leave in is Infusium and H-Two by Elasta QP. Now my hair is always properly detangled, but I'm guess it just doesn't dry smooth. Rollersets aren't my friends so I don't want to have to go to that, but I just don't know what to do at this point. I don't use alot of heat so I'm thinking aout just adding the blow drying thing unless you guys have some suggestions on whats going on.

back2relaxed

How far post relaxer are you? I ask b/c if I am more than 4 wks I cannot airdry and then flat iron w/good results. I have to use the blowdryer or either rollerset for a smooth finish. I am 4a/b...

HighlyFavored1

My hair is texlaxed and it does not airdry completely smooth if I just airdry it while its down. I have two suggestions, A) you can either try to smooth it before you start airdrying by lightly brushing and then tying it with a scarf or using Serenitys baseball cap method. Or you can put a little foaming wrap lotion, smoothing with a small tooth comb by just raking the comb along the hair, and tying with wrap paper. or B) After you airdry you can go through your hair with a comb or paddle comb-brush and a hand dryer. When I go through my hair for just a minute or two on low heat this really helps to smooth it out and straighten it a bit in preparation for flat ironing. I dont actually use the comb attachment though because that requires placing the dryer too close to my hair.

malibu4590

I think it's all in what products your using prior to flat ironing.

I use different products depending on how I'm going to style my hair. For example:
  • If I'm going to wet bun, I'll use Garnier Fructis products (Poo, Con)
  • If I'm wearing a weave, I'll use diluted Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (Poo and Con)
  • If I'm going to flat iron, I'll wash and condition with only Nexxus products (HydraSleek Poo, SleekTress Con, Keraphix (DC) and HeatProtexx heat protector)
The Nexxus products all have silk amino acids in it helping to add to a sleeker flat ironing experience. I air dry, of course, after DCing.

HTH!

Songbirdb

My hair is texlaxed and it does not airdry completely smooth if I just airdry it while its down. I have two suggestions, A) you can either try to smooth it before you start airdrying by lightly brushing and then tying it with a scarf or using Serenitys baseball cap method. Or you can put a little foaming wrap lotion, smoothing with a small tooth comb by just raking the comb along the hair, and tying with wrap paper. or B) After you airdry you can go through your hair with a comb or paddle comb-brush and a hand dryer. When I go through my hair for just a minute or two on low heat this really helps to smooth it out and straighten it a bit in preparation for flat ironing. I dont actually use the comb attachment though because that requires placing the dryer too close to my hair.

THanks a bunch! I will try one of these two methods. THey sound like a good idea. Does anyone know what the Serenity baseball cap method is tho?

Songbirdb

I think it's all in what products your using prior to flat ironing.

I use different products depending on how I'm going to style my hair. For example:
  • If I'm going to wet bun, I'll use Garnier Fructis products (Poo, Con)
  • If I'm wearing a weave, I'll use diluted Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (Poo and Con)
  • If I'm going to flat iron, I'll wash and condition with only Nexxus products (HydraSleek Poo, SleekTress Con, Keraphix (DC) and HeatProtexx heat protector)
The Nexxus products all have silk amino acids in it helping to add to a sleeker flat ironing experience. I air dry, of course, after DCing.

HTH!

I've been wanting to try these products. There kind of pricey but they might be a good investment. Thanks!

And thanks ladies for all the wonderful responses