I don't Indulge In Hair

Country gal

Dang! Ya'll are some super sleuths!

I kinda understand her reply..though I would have just told you the answer. If hair isn't that serious to her, a one minute answer isn't that serious either.

I hear you. Hair health is just as important to me as my overall well being. I see so many chicks investing time in money in working out, buying nice clothes but have jacked up hair. Like Round Brush website says your hair... it's just that serious.

jaiku

She sound like a jerk. I think she was trying to take a dig at you when she said I have been natural for 20 years ans people know I am. Have you been wearing your hair straight lately? It sounds like some hate from a militant nappy.

fluffylocks

Hmmmmm

I think that she may have got the impression that you didnt believe that she really was natural (because you wear your hair in its natural form most of the time right Country Gal?), and that you werent so much interested into how she got her hair straight, but more so wanted her to defend that she was natural-----and i also think that maybe she is alittle insecure about her hair (maybe insecure about having natural hair if she always wears it straight most all of the time), or there was some company around that she didnt want to discuss it infront of.

Because i cant understand not wanting to just give a simple technique, NOT actually "indulding" in the quality, length ect. of your hair, or her saying that "everyone" knows that they are natural

Like if there was an overweight person at the gym (The coworker that straightens her natural hair all the time),
and a really fit person that they've never seen overweight much(Country Gal with her natural hair that she doesnt see straightened much)
Came up to them talking about their body is looking good, what kind of techniques are they using....

First they may feel like since ther person is not overweight (Country Gal doesnt straighten her hair much), that they dont care about their technique, or really think their body (their hair) looks good and that their being taunted

Secondly they may feel insecure/inferior to somebody with a nice body (nice natural hair) and think their information is not valuable, or they may not want other people to hear that they really think their doing something if they dont believe their body (hair) looks good in the first place/really putting in a huge effort to look the way they do and their not happy with the results

Country gal

Hmmmmm

I think that she may have got the impression that you didnt believe that she really was natural (because you wear your hair in its natural form most of the time right Country Gal?), and that you werent so much interested into how she got her hair straight, but more so wanted her to defend that she was natural-----and i also think that maybe she is alittle insecure about her hair (maybe insecure about having natural hair if she always wears it straight most all of the time), or there was some company around that she didnt want to discuss it infront of.

Because i cant understand not wanting to just give a simple technique, NOT actually "indulding" in the quality, length ect. of your hair, or her saying that "everyone" knows that they are natural

Like if there was an overweight person at the gym (The coworker that straightens her natural hair all the time),
and a really fit person that they've never seen overweight much(Country Gal with her natural hair that she doesnt see straightened much)
Came up to them talking about their body is looking good, what kind of techniques are they using....

First they may feel like since ther person is not overweight (Country Gal doesnt straighten her hair much), that they dont care about their technique, or really think their body (their hair) looks good and that their being taunted

Secondly they may feel insecure/inferior to somebody with a nice body (nice natural hair) and think their information is not valuable, or they may not want other people to hear that they really think their doing something if they dont believe their body (hair) looks good in the first place/really putting in a huge effort to look the way they do and their not happy with the results

Now we have 4 ladies that don't use perms basically natural. One of my newly natural co workers sports a TWA. The older natural haired ladies blowdry their hair and then style it. I am sporting more straighter styles. I guess she couldn't be bothered with hair.

Mystic

It took me a while to get it but I am now settle in my opinion that some people are just WEIRD, and your friend is one of them. If that's how she feels, I wouldn't ask her another hair question because she would only piss me off with her silly response - "I do not indulge in hair!" Whatever.....

ChocolateSoda

I am so glad I work with mostly men and I'm the only black woman in here.

I complimented a guy on his hair cut one day and he told me he had put some gel in there (he was pretty proud). At least he was willing to share! :rofl:

Did he indulge me?

Country gal

I am so glad I work with mostly men and I'm the only black woman in here.

I complimented a guy on his hair cut one day and he told me he had put some gel in there (he was pretty proud). At least he was willing to share! :rofl:

Did he indulge me?

:grin::grin:. Yes he indulged you. I have another co-worker, relaxed and we ask each other querstions about hair. If I sport a new do she will ask me ??? I do get some hair indulgence at work.

Maynard

She kinda made me feel weird. Like why is this fool talking to me about hair at work. I agree Passion Fruit maybe it is a age thing. My aunts are around her age and they ask me questions about my hair all the time. In fact I asked my aunt how to roll my hair. She was happy to tell me.

I am cautious regarding hair topics because everyone is not pressed like me. In fact last night I was chapping away with my brother's girlfriend's cousin because she is into hair too. In fact she asked me did I have a Fotki. I was like :grin: yeah you are on a hair board. Which one? :lachen: She has been on lhcf. Typically I am really conservative regarding discussing hair because I get my fix here.

CG,

That lady is super strange. I would be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the day when she asks me a question, so I could reply

"Oh, no, I dont indulge in that..." :rolleyes:

Christa438

CG,

That lady is super strange. I would be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the day when she asks me a question, so I could reply

"Oh, no, I dont indulge in that..." :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking. We r alike: I can hold a grudge and sit back and wait for a payback opportunity which could come 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year later. :rolleyes:

Now I probably wouldn't go as far as to give out LHCF link unless I think the person is really excited or motivated about it. I have family and friends (except a few) who don't even know that LHCF exists. But if someone wants to know about a hair style or basic hair care, I don't mind giving that info.

MissMasala5

I know someone like this coworker. She is a nice person, but when someone tries to be chatty, like asking "So do you have any kids?" or "Are you married?" she shuts them down and says "I don't like to discuss my private life." I told her, hey, they are just being friendly, and her response was that when people ask those types of questions of people they barely know, they are usually trying to get info to use against them later. :perplexed ummmmmkay!

In the case of hair, yeah, I could see this person I know saying the same thing, easily. She's just anti-social in that way, and this may be the case with the coworker.

ekomba

My co-worker is natural. Has been natural for 20 years. I am natural too. I am also a hair fanatic. Heck I belong to a hair board and can go on for days regarding hair.

My colleague rolls up her hair everynight to get it straight and pins it up. I have been experiencing with roller sets and pinning my hair up too. I did my hair as a pin up style today. I go over to her and try to get some tips on rolling the hair and stuff. She is like I don't indulge it. I don't talk about hair. I am think freak. So I say, well you are natural like me, I like to try different styles, I wanted to see how you achieve the look you get everyday and maintain. Her response was she doesn't talk about hair.

wowww I hear you Country gal i dont understand her response. but i noticed too that some women mostly closest like associates, coworkers sometimes act like they ve been violated. as if its a personal question. And i'm not surprised maybe your coworker just did not want to answer.

Sometimes it s just women. They don't want you to have what they have , i dont know what it is. Because she could have shared it with you. I know one of my coworkers once, i complemented her on her weave, it was well done, and ask her the address and phone number of her stylist, she looked at me as if i had violated her, like she wanted to smack me and did not say anything and just walk away, she did not want to discuss it.

So i think Country Gal maybe she does not want you to perfect your hairstyle, have the same hair as her, truly i don't know what it is. Some people i noticed you cant even ask them what product, what stylist, what hair they use, they just dont feel like sharing. hair has become a very touchy subject and people really feel insulted like in "why u wanna know, so u can b like me?"

ShiShiPooPoo

Could she belong to some type of religion that doesn't talk about anything that they consider vain?

Trying to give some benefit but the lady sounds flat out weird.

WEIRDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOe

LivingDoll

Okay, since this thread is still alive and kickin', here's my two cents. I think that she may have gone through something in the workplace because of her hair. In the past 10-15 years there have been numerous court cases brought against employers who tried to dictate how people wore their hair (braids, locks, facial hair, etc). Also, many times people are held back from deserved promotions because their appearance goes against the staunch opinions of corporate America. Does anyone remember the episode of "Living Single" where Kyle was sold out by another brother (competing for the same promotion) over his hair? Exactly.

I'm gonna give ole gal the benefit of the doubt with this one and I'm not gonna automatically assume that she's an idiot although a more clear answer wouldn't have hurt anybody. Without going into detail about the ordeal, maybe that was the least painful answer.

But who knows? Maybe she's just an idiot...

Last edited:

PassionFruit

Okay, since this thread is still alive and kickin', here's my two cents. I think that she may have gone through something in the workplace because of her hair. In the past 10-15 years there have been numerous court cases brought against employers who tried to dictate how people wore their hair (braids, locks, facial hair, etc). Also, many times people are held back from deserved promotions because their appearance goes against the staunch opinions of corporate America. Does anyone remember the episode of "Living Single" where Kyle was sold out by another brother (competing for the same promotion) over his hair? Exactly.

I'm gonna give ole gal the benefit of the doubt with this one and I'm not gonna automatically assume that she's an idiot although a more clear answer wouldn't have hurt anybody. Without going into detail about the ordeal, maybe that was the least painful answer.

But who knows? Maybe she's just an idiot...

yep, this was similar to my guess as well...
If she is middle aged and been natural for 20 yrs, she's likely defensive because she has been either discriminated against or ridiculed in the workplace because of her hair...

Just another note to the youngins of how much things have changed yet remains the same

blasiancurlie

Wow, that seems kind of selfish! I can't imagine not talking about hair and sharing tips! I mean I would want to help out in any way I can so that a woman can avoid some of the things I had to learn on my own/deal with.