I don't Indulge In Hair

Country gal

My co-worker is natural. Has been natural for 20 years. I am natural too. I am also a hair fanatic. Heck I belong to a hair board and can go on for days regarding hair.

My colleague rolls up her hair everynight to get it straight and pins it up. I have been experiencing with roller sets and pinning my hair up too. I did my hair as a pin up style today. I go over to her and try to get some tips on rolling the hair and stuff. She is like I don't indulge it. I don't talk about hair. I am think freak. So I say, well you are natural like me, I like to try different styles, I wanted to see how you achieve the look you get everyday and maintain. Her response was she doesn't talk about hair.

ladylibra

aaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllrighty then... :look:

what, does she not want you to know her "secrets?" i don't get it...

Napp

Ms. Nobody
:ohwell: why is she like that? She doesnt want to give out beauty tips? would she give out makeup tips? maybe she doesnt want to be vain or something.

Country gal

aaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllrighty then... :look:

what, does she not want you to know her "secrets?" i don't get it...

I called her on it a little bit. I was like well I don't think it is weird to want to know how someone achieved a style. She said I didn't say it was weird. I don
't think it is weird. I just don't indulge it. I found it pretty strange. She was more concerned about knowing about a concert I attended over the weekend. She also said she has been natural for 20 years and people know she is. :ohwell:

KPH

House Head
:nono:, i just don't understand. I guess this is why I have the number of friends and associates that I do. I find her response silly, u asked a simple question, not her social security number. GOOD GRIEF.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Sounds like she dosen't want to share her techniques...

"I don't indulge it" WTH?!! who talks like that? its hair... gosh man:rolleyes:

cmesweet

Why did she say " I've been natural for 20 years and people know I am"

Isn't that the reason why you are asking for some input?

clever

:ohwell: why is she like that? She doesnt want to give out beauty tips? would she give out makeup tips? maybe she doesnt want to be vain or something.
Get out my head!lol Either she doesn't want you to know her "special secrets" or she finds it vain to discuss such things.:rolleyes:

locabouthair

that's really weird.

She's not obligated to tell you but still. I cant stand people like that. They act all secretive over the littlest things.

is she very religious? im just thinking maybe she doesnt want to look vain.

Country gal

Huh???? She doesn't talk about hair?!? What is it a taboo subject? I don't get it.

This is why you need to come work with me. I miss my hair BF.:sad: I suck at taking the mirror pictures. I wish you could take my pic today to show off my up do.

Country gal

she finds it vain to discuss such things.:rolleyes:

You hit the hammer on the nail. I guess she feels it is trivial. I don't talk to her about hair all the time. I just wanted to ask her a simple question. I remember before she was complaining of a friend that had problems with her hair. She didn't feel like discussing hair with her friend.

Mrs.Green

Well it sounds to me that she don't want to tell her secrets cause she don't want you to grow longer or look better than her. :rolleyes:

I have a friend like that wants to know everything you are doing, but when you ask what she does to her *long beautiful BTW* hair it's OH NOTHING~ won't say what she does cause you may master the technique and outdo them. :lachen:

Some people :nono:!!

PassionFruit

She seems defensive to me... and perhaps with reason...

I have similar situation with a co-worker but I know for a fact that she was once told her hair was holding her back from getting a promotion and that the non-blacks in the office have made comments like " The Black Panther girl" and such...

in CORPORATE America ( think white America) it STILL isnt acceptable to wear braids, mush less an afro... though folks may not verbalize it

maybe the OPs co-worker is defensive for similar reason and perhaps approaching her off the clock or in another way would help break the ice

Country gal

She seems defensive to me... and perhaps with reason...

I have similar situation with a co-worker but I know for a fact that she was once told her hair was holding her back from getting a promotion and that the non-blacks in the office have made comments like " The Black Panther girl" and such...

in CORPORATE America ( think white America) it STILL isnt acceptable to wear braids, mush less an afro... though folks may not verbalize it

maybe the OPs co-worker is defensive for similar reason and perhaps approaching her off the clock or in another way would help break the ice

She is older than me and more conservative. Trust and believe I will not be mentioning hair to that heifer ever again.

tenjoy

I called her on it a little bit. I was like well I don't think it is weird to want to know how someone achieved a style. She said I didn't say it was weird. I don
't think it is weird. I just don't indulge it. I found it pretty strange. She was more concerned about knowing about a concert I attended over the weekend. She also said she has been natural for 20 years and people know she is. :ohwell:

See thats a defense..........she texlaxes :lachen::lachen:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I don't see what the big deal is. She didn't want to talk about it and said so politely if not a bit stiffly. Not everyone is hair obsessed or inclined, if you will, like we can be