A Hair Rant: Please indulge me

LovinLocks

Okay, ladies, I'm going to admit a hair rant. Indulge me, 'cause I don't "go there" often. Matter of fact I've been quite quiet for months.

I did my first Piki Strip, and by golly I see no difference. Now, I know better than to think my hair doesn't grow. And, if I was confused (which I am not), the fact that there is a 2" line of demarcation of silver and black hair from where I dyed last year proves that it grows. So what gives with the length? Geez.

I started posting at LHCF end of summer '08 I believe. I would think there would be a noticeable length change at this point. I overstand about patience, blah, blah, blah, so from August 'til now I don't think constitutes impatience for wanting to see change.

I figured I'd do the Piki strip to try and see for myself. Then decided to ran and put it to the prophytes of LHCF. Now, I'm not complaining, just trying to keep things real with myself. I didn't want to say anything last year, but I've been concerned with my level of shed. I've kept an eye on other's posts about shedding in an attempt to allay fears. I realize I'm old and I've read that hair thins out as one ages. Mine certainly is thinning. I've been trying to keep that stiff upper lip, but it's wavering. I most notice it on top vs. the sides. Matter of fact the top is pert near flat (from thinning) while the sides are all bushy.

It's not working for me. I'm cutting and pasting strip from the Piki site. Let me try again. K, I'll have to do this the hard way and upload from my Fotki.

Here is me last year.
AfterWash-vi.jpg

Here is me this morning:
LengthCheck-vi.jpg

This one is wet with CD's Hair Smootie on
HairSmoothie-vi.jpg

Here's my beginning 2009 Fotki in case you need to see other views:
http://public.fotki.com/lovinlocks/her-lock-story/the-journey-to-mid-/

I guess I don't really have a hard, fast "regime". I do co-wash frequently and I use coconut oil and some of the ayurvedic stuff, i.e., Vatika Frosting, amla, olive oils. I try and make sure my ends do not get dry. I wear protective styles, oh I'd say . . . 90% of the time, probably more.

Yes, I'm whining (a little scared to tell the truth). To be honest, it's been stressful year and a half and I moved to my own apartment last week. Even the mover (who didn't know me from Adam) stated, "You look happier" as I was standing in my new, lil apt.

I didn't want to take a shot of my shedded hair 'cause I'm in denial about the amount. I am hoping perhaps I am spazzing for nothing. That maybe since I see my hair daily that I am not seeing the forest for the trees. Do you ladies see something I do not? Not trying to get my ears tickled, just trying to face facts.

Thanks for letting me rant.

LL

a%3E

Last edited:
It looks like it grew to me. The position of your arms is different in each photo, so I can't tell. I'd recommend setting your camera on something and using the timer, then pulling your hair down to see where it falls. That way you get the same shot every time for consistency and you aren't fooled into thinking your hair is not retaining length because of shrinkage.

I see progress. I know what you mean though. I did a pikistrip just a few minutes ago and made it my siggy. I don't see much from August to now but I do see the difference in the year which isn't as much as I thought it would be. I guess we're over achievers. I'm waiting to do a two year pic but it'll probably look just like my January pic! LOL!

Ok the bottom photo shows me that most of your hair stops between 4.5 and 5. The top is hard to determine b/c of the position of your arms, I think you should do what Mwedzi said and either place the cam on something or have someone re-take the length shot. That's a beautiful head of hair you have which means you've been taking care of it, which means it has grown.

If you look at the inches on your shirt (maybe you have another before pic you can refer to) I'm sure you'll see a difference. I can't see the inches on the before pic well enough but it looks longer to me.

U looking for sympathy, with those long gorgeous curls?

Forget it!
:lachen: Your hair is beautiful! I'd kill to have curls like that. I know what you're thinking and all but really your hair looks healthy and it IS growing! I understand why you posted. Sometimes things are clearer to everyone on the outside.

If it wasn't for comparison pictures, I would have thought I was a slow grower.

U looking for sympathy, with those long gorgeous curls? Forget it!

Hi girl,

No, I may not have made myself clear, not really sympathy (girl, I ain't too proud to beg and not enough sense to be embarrassed. I would come on out and say if I needed a pity party) :yep: Just wanted another set of eyes. My daughter gets annoyed when I ask her to take photos for me. Matter of fact, I think she took the one where the length is obvious whereas there I am all stretched and contorted trying to do a comparison shot, duh.

Oneadese days I am simply going to go to a professional photographer for some hair shots so I can see what's what. Maybe that'll be my hair present to self the end of '09.

Either way, thanks for even chiming in to chastise :lachen:.

Thanks gals. I think you all are correct, get someone else to take it. Perhaps in 2-3 months (give me even more time).

Again, thanks for letting a sistah rant. Hugzz to you all.

Either way, thanks for even chiming in to chastise :lachen:.

NOt chastising, just hating. :giggle: Your hair is gorgeous and I see lots of growth. I think it's your arm position, like someone said.

It's hard, because I tend not to see my growth, either! I feel your pain.

i think you are trippin! you got some good growth there girl! LOL! but seriously you had your arms up with the recent one and your arms down with the old one. and it looks like your hair was really wet with the first one and dry with the second. could be skrinkage?

Your hair looks gorgeous. If you see the line from the dye grow out then that's obvious that your hair is growing but your not retaining the ends.

Maybe you need a good trim before you continue on your growing. I had the same problem. So now I pay extra careful attention to my ends and will be weaving it up for a while to give my hair a break. Look for a PM from me.

your ends look more stretched and wet in the first pic LL

No worries! even if it hasnt grown, sometimes it can be a slow process, keep the faith, and now that some stress has been removed from your life

nothing but good stuff from here, one day at a time

hugssssssssss

proud of you!!!

I think it's your arm position, like someone said.

It's hard, because I tend not to see my growth, either! I feel your pain.

How do ya get the Piki inside. I usually know how to do that sorta thing. When inside Piki on the right side of the screen there were two codes for pasting: one for discussion boards, I forget the other. Well, I tried cutting and pasting both to no avail.

Not a big hurry, but I might want to post one day.

i think you are trippin! you got some good growth there girl! LOL! but seriously you had your arms up with the recent one and your arms down with the old one. and it looks like your hair was really wet with the first one and dry with the second. could be skrinkage?

Girl, yeah, I be trippin'. Told yaw'll it was a whiney post. Ahhh, I'm just tripping.

Psst, now when I come back in here all bald from shedding, don't say nuttin' Just gather around and come to the pity partay. :lachen: :drunk:

Back