I Asked "the Niko Question" & Wish I Didnt!

I work for a clinic. A new patient came in today with lovely, shiny bra strap length +. While I was triaging her, I asked if she was Niko's cousin. Her response was "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not".:eek: I got kind of warm and a little embarassed. I didn't know what to say. She asked me where did I know Niko from. I swear I did not know how to answer her. I just left out of the room and asked another nurse to tend to her. She probably thought I was C-R-A-Z-Y. Everytime I left out of the other patients rooms, I would quickly look in the hallway to make sure I didn't see her. I will NEVER ask this question again--- at least not at work!:look:

Girl that is when you just lie....tell her you met Niko at the beauty salon in the mall or something and she looked just like her...LOL

I am so sorry for your embarassment, this is probably why I will not ask that question....

I'm so sorry, but that story was so funny! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I'm sorry that you were embarrassed you were. At least you had the courage to ask her! I've seen a few people that I wanted to ask but I chickened out.

melhenderson said:
I work for a clinic. A new patient came in today with lovely, shiny bra strap length +. While I was triaging her, I asked if she was Niko's cousin. Her response was "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not".:eek: I got kind of warm and a little embarassed. I didn't know what to say. She asked me where did I know Niko from. I swear I did not know how to answer her. I just left out of the room and asked another nurse to tend to her. She probably thought I was C-R-A-Z-Y. Everytime I left out of the other patients rooms, I would quickly look in the hallway to make sure I didn't see her. I will NEVER ask this question again--- at least not at work!:look:

I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this post, especially the "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not" part. :lachen::lachen:I would have been a bit embarrassed too, but I'm thinking I would have just played it off by the following dialogue:

Patient: Where do you know Niko from?
Me: Oh, she's a friend of mine from Mozambique. You remind me of her cousin, that's why I asked.
Patient: Mozambique? Oh, no, me and you must be talking about 2 different people then.
Me: Hmmmm......we might be. Oh well, sorry for the misunderstanding.

This is too funny. I'm sorry you felt embarrassed. Again, I would have too. But this was just too funny. I had to laugh. Especially after I went in WallyWorld the other day w/ SO and I saw a chick that looked exactly like an LHCFer, face, hair and all, at least from a distance she did. I was about to run dead up to her face and give her a big ole hug when I realized that she was not the girl I saw on here!!! Man I would have felt too dumb after doing something like that.

melhenderson said:
I asked if she was Niko's cousin. Her response was "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not".:eek:
I'm sorry, but :lachen:I wouldn't have known what to say either! Maybe we should come up with a list of responses we can use just in case the person says "Who in the h*ll is Nikos?" LOL.

miss_cherokee said:
I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at this post, especially the "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not" part. :lachen::lachen:I would have been a bit embarrassed too, but I'm thinking I would have just played it off by the following dialogue:

Patient: Where do you know Niko from?
Me: Oh, she's a friend of mine from Mozambique. You remind me of her cousin, that's why I asked.
Patient: Mozambique? Oh, no, me and you must be talking about 2 different people then.
Me: Hmmmm......we might be. Oh well, sorry for the misunderstanding.

This is too funny. I'm sorry you felt embarrassed. Again, I would have too. But this was just too funny. I had to laugh. Especially after I went in WallyWorld the other day w/ SO and I saw a chick that looked exactly like an LHCFer, face, hair and all, at least from a distance she did. I was about to run dead up to her face and give her a big ole hug when I realized that she was not the girl I saw on here!!! Man I would have felt too dumb after doing something like that.

This post is funny, too! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: But why Mozambique? :lol:

melhenderson said:

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH....:lol: :lol:

naijamerican said:
This post is funny, too! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: But why Mozambique? :lol:

:grin::grin:Just so that I make sure that I'm playing it off to the point where she won't want to ask any more questions. I could have switched it up and said she was from Australia or Kenya or somewhere, anywhere to throw off the suspicion:lachen::lachen:

You can always say: "I went to school with him/her...ya'll look alike"....or something like that. :look:

naijamerican said:
I'm so sorry, but that story was so funny! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I'm sorry that you were embarrassed you were. At least you had the courage to ask her! I've seen a few people that I wanted to ask but I chickened out.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: i'm sorry but it was funny:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

melhenderson said:

Too funny! Jail? What the heck?!?! I've seen some beautiful, healthy tresses while at work but my policy {although I'm been too poultry-like to ask} is to never ask the Nikos question at work except one person who works in the building who is forever reaching around checking her waist length braid ends! I plan to ask when out and about...can hardly wait for the first time I'm brave enough to ask and hoping "she" turns out to be one of my favs.

melhenderson said:
I work for a clinic. A new patient came in today with lovely, shiny bra strap length +. While I was triaging her, I asked if she was Niko's cousin. Her response was "that depends on if Niko is in jail or not".:eek:

I'm sorry, but BWAHAHAHAH :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
Thanx, that made my night!:D

:lol: :lol: :lachen:

There goes that name discrimination. Why NIKO gotta be in jail, huh? Maybe Niko is too "ghetto" of a name for some people though I love it. I wonder if u would've got that response if you asked a question like "Are you Sarah's cousin?" :lol: She obviously wasn't Niko's cousin or she wouldn't have replied like that. Perhaps if we're at work, we could ask "Did you go to LHC?"--tell them it's Langston Hughes College if they say No what's that.

:lol: :lachen: :lol: sorry, I been laughin this whole time...Too funny!

I won't never say "are you nikko's cousin." It's not me and I would be so embarassed.

I would rather ask "are you a part of any online hair communities, your hair is so pretty" and go from there.

too damn funny!!!:lachen: :lachen:

i dont think i will ever ask..i dunno maybe but not the cousin part...but i would buy the shirt..it's cute!!!

ME: "Excuse me, are u a member of a hair organization online?"

That's is another great alternative question, but I know some people will still laugh their butts off at you or look at you crazy if you ask them that. I know that personally because I have been laughed at {or the question was laughed at} and I had to laugh along with the girl and play it off. This young lady frowned first, then she busted out laughin.
I just make a judgement call depending on time and place and maybe on the person too. For instance, if I am on the bus, in the grocery store or walmart, at the mall, or in a fastfood restaurant--I would probably ask the Niko question because of the area that I live in [the people I ask will just give me either a yes or no most likely]. If I was at work, the library, or at a more upscale restaraunt-- I would ask the online hair communities question.

melhenderson said:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I am in stitches.

miss_cherokee said:
:grin::grin:Just so that I make sure that I'm playing it off to the point where she won't want to ask any more questions. I could have switched it up and said she was from Australia or Kenya or somewhere, anywhere to throw off the suspicion:lachen::lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: Or Zamunda...

"She's our queeeen tooo beeee!!"

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

naijamerican said:
:lachen: :lachen: Or Zamunda...

"She's our queeeen tooo beeee!!"

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:lachen: :lol::lachen::lol: :lachen: :lol:

{I like the name NIKO. It sounds multi-cultural to me. Niko could be the name of a black or african woman, an asian woman or even a spanish woman. I think I may name my next daughter Niko. Aint one of Kemorah's (babyphat)daughters named Niko too? i could be wrong}

Last edited:
Oh my Bob,this was too cute. This reminds me of when I was pming back and forth with a member on here once we figured out that we live 10 minutes from each other. We exchanged info and decided to meet for lunch. Well a little time had passed before she called me on the phone and asked if she could speak to Nikos' cousin. I was totally caught off guard- STUNNED really and was like who is this??!! She got all skurred and was like oh never mind I must have the wrong number. Then I was like no WAIT!!- you have the right number, yes, yes this is Nikos' cousin!!! It was so funny. I couldn't stop cheesing. It's such a great feeling to meet kinfolk:lachen: I won't out her-I'll leave that up to her:cool:

:wave: hey Monique-I didn't tell them it was you:D

Back