How often could you safely flat iron your hair?

How often can you safely flat iron?

• every other day

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • once a week

Votes: 199 32.7%
  • once a fortnight

Votes: 77 12.6%
  • once a month

Votes: 152 25.0%
  • once every 2 months

Votes: 29 4.8%
  • once every 3-4 months

Votes: 78 12.8%
  • once every 5-6 months

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • once a year

Votes: 20 3.3%
  • other

Votes: 15 2.5%

• Total voters

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Once a week, if it is only the newgrowth "area' and not the entire length!

This is what I'm doing now. Rollersetting weekly and doing one pass (@ 315degrees) on my newgrowth only. No flat iron touch ups during the week, no blowdryers or curling irons, and I never flat iron my length or ends.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I have thick but fine hair strands. There is no way I can use heat weekly and not suffer damage. I flat iron at most 1x every 2 mths and sometimes I don't flat iron my entire 3-5 mth relaxer stretch.

MystiqueBabe

Judging from my natural hair then once a week. My hair can take it. I would flat iron at 350 and sometimes 380 and my roots would still revert. Majority of the time I did not use heat protectant.

My relaxed hair was a different story though.

LisaMar

Usually, I use heat once every 6 months. I have a weave and find that I must use heat once a week on my leave out to help blend it and I am not happy about this even though I love the weave.

JazziLady!

LisaMar said:
Usually, I use heat once every 6 months. I have a weave and find that I must use heat once a week on my leave out to help blend it and I am not happy about this even though I love the weave.

I like kinky straight weave for myself. Prevents the need for constant heat to blend.

Angelinhell

Well, with all I know about taking care of my hair now, once a week. I used to flatiron five days a week before my hhj and my hair was still thick(I'm not gonna say healthy).

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Spongebob said:
i flat ironed my hair once since big chop, and regretted it big time. I realised my hair is to weak/fine to resist heat. to the extent that I wash my hair separately. im looking for non heat related methods/products that can straighten my hair, i found one products but its to expensive and i cant maintain buying it every week, wrapping is another thing i want to learn when my hair gets a bit longer

What product? Please share ;D

Misseyl

I use to do it once a week but I've been roller setting more now because of the damage heat can do to your hair. Maybe, more importantly, since I've removed my braids, I want to retain the length, so I roller set. I'm trying to find a style that I'm comfortable with and a routine that easy to follow.

yorkpatties

On my relaxed hair? I never knew, I just got it done weekly at the salon. It only got a little past my shoulders, and sometimes as short as chin length. I had no control over it, because I didn't control it's care.

I rarely flat iron my natural hair now. I recall as a teen I wanted to stop relaxing and had my mother press my hair weekly instead. Weekly without fail she'd press my hair, and while it was thicker than my relaxed hair, it never got past my shoulders. I have different care techniques and much better tools now of course, but I still wouldn't use heat weekly. Maybe at most once or twice per month.

Saga

The Generous Queen
My hair is really resistant to heat, despite the strands themselves being so fine. It takes a lot to get it straight and once it gets straight it reverts quickly. I think I can get away with once a month but I don't want to cause I'm pretty sure time would take it's toll and make my hair less dense.

nnmiles

Unfornately I can never flat iron my hair. I am too scared that I will damage my precious curls. I used to flat iron my natural hair every two weeks. My curls were ruined. As a result I bc'd last year. Now I'm protecting every strand of my beautiful curls.

fiyahwerks

I used to be a weekly, but I started to see how limp, dull and dry my hair was. So now once a month at the most. My hair is doing A-ok with deep conditioning every week. I like to take breaks (e.g. braids, wigs and phony ponies) to give my head 1-3 month heat break.

Honey Bee

I have only flat ironed my hair about 6 times since going natual 2 years ago but my hair is riddled with heat damage :sad:. First time I went natural, I straightened every two weeks for years, never used any heat-protectant, yet I never suffered any HD until the very last time I did it. I don't understand how this is possible.
Danewshe, Did you ever figure this out?