How often can u flat iron new growth.....

IMFOCSD

Without causing damage? I flat ironed my hair the other day (mainly the roots) and it really does help straighten my roots out. How often can I flat iron my new growth without causung damage?

Thanks ladies! ;)

lana

I'm at 12 weeks post relaxer right now and I flat iron my new growth once a week without damage. I'm texlaxed. I have about 2 inches of new growth right now.

free2be

I flat iron my ng and sometimes ends about every other week. I make sure to use a heat protectant and that the flat iron isn't on its hottest setting.

Dee-Licious

I probably would not do it more than once a week but make sure to use a good heat protectant.

I don't use heat too often at all, but I know some ladies here use heat once a week with good resutlts.... try to do just the roots if you can.

CAPlush

I think it matters more whether you are using a heat protectant, ceramic flat iron, and what temp setting you are using rather than how often, but if I were you no more than 1x a week is my feeling. I like to flat iron my roots towards the end of my stretch too, it gets my mind off of the relaxer.

IMFOCSD

Thanks ladies,

I use a ceramic flat iron combined with silk elements megasilk heat protection spray to straighten my new growth. I actually would not do it more than once a week. I just wanted to make sure once a week was not too often. I am 8 weeks post relaxer with lots of underprocessed hair and I felt that keeping my roots straight would reduce the breakage I was having. So far so good. I still have about two months before my next relaxer. I might be unable to wait that long if my hair keeps breaking. I started wearing protective styles so hopefully that will help.

lana

I'm sure the protective styles will help. I'm texlaxed and I can't imagine going 16 weeks! I'm almost at 12 weeks now and it's been really tough waiting on a relaxer. Mostly because you do start to see a big difference in the two textures which can lead to breakage if I'm not careful. I'm excited for you. Happy stretching!

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Flat-ironing every other day could really cause damage. I was flat-ironing 1-2x a month and it caused some minor damage (It may be damage, or it may not...I'm still not sure) in an area. I did go through a period where I was using the flat-iron almost everyday for a week, and then I let someone else flat-iron my hair with the temp too high...that could have been what caused it ::shrugs::

Last edited:

Mars_Reiko

Im my opinion, once or twice a month should be safe. During my relaxer stretch I flat ironed 2x a month with any damage. The most important thing is to keep up with the protein treaments and deep conditioning.

I would say twice a month. Most importantly use a heat protector. For some reason, I feel my hair is 98% protected from heat when I use CHI Silk infusion. Everyone on the borad has given it such great reveiws. I use like half of the bottle in one sitting (when I do use heat) but I just get so nervous at the thougt of direct heat.

So my suggestion would be twice a month with CHI and you should be fine.

CAPlush

jayjaycurlz said:
For those who flat iron, how do you keep your hair moisturized between washes?

I use Dove moisture mist, sparingly though, just enough to soften the hair but not get it wet.

gymfreak336

Ditto on the tips from the other ladies. I dusted off my flat iron today and I used my chi silk infusion and my hair feels great. I haven't flat-ironed my hair in lord knows when but if you stay consistent with conditioning and use a heat protectant, 2x a month shouldn't kill you.