How often could you safely flat iron your hair?

How often can you safely flat iron?

• every other day

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • once a week

Votes: 199 32.7%
  • once a fortnight

Votes: 77 12.6%
  • once a month

Votes: 152 25.0%
  • once every 2 months

Votes: 29 4.8%
  • once every 3-4 months

Votes: 78 12.8%
  • once every 5-6 months

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • once a year

Votes: 20 3.3%
  • other

Votes: 15 2.5%

• Total voters

Sarahh.

How often can you flat iron your hair without causing too much damage (breakage, splitting)?

twinkletoes17

I think it depends on your hair. Some can take it, some can't. I use to flat iron about once or twice a week. I retained no length because my hair was always being manipulated (and this is with air-drying). I also had split ends and thin hair. When I combed my hair, broken pieces would be all over my floor and counters. I flat iron about once a month or once every two months now; I usually wash n go. No split ends, very little breakage, and my hair is thicker :)

oldcrayons

I'm too scared or too lazy so I'm not sure what are my limits. I do know that too often during the week is damaging. Maybe a couple times a month?

shtow

once a week for me. as long as I DC everytime and use a heat protector im good to go. Oil moisturizers help during the week. oh yeah, I only apply the heat protector ONCE. I found that when I apply it twice,my hair is drier and breaks more. There is no need to apply it more than once in one styling session. Its cones, boo, they are not going to evaporate in two hours. lol

NOLA2NY

I flatiron every fortnight!

OP let me find out you are the the LHCF resident Shakespearean scholar! Fortnight, lol!

envybeauty

a lady i know (and admire for her overall style -- def an "it" girl) says she does her own hair and flat irons once a week. she could do with a trim to even her hair out (it is VERY uneven in the back) but otherwise it looks great.

i don't think she is a niko's cousin and i ain't about to ask either :look:

loveable37

The month i get my relaxer retouch {no heat}enjoy my relaxer,
The next month FLAT IRON once ,
month 3{ flat iron twice} specially day of the month.

pmichael52172

Gosh I feel so guilty. I do it all over Sunday mornings for church (because I wash it Saturday nights) but during the week, I touch up areas that are bent or dented from sleeping. I do the bonnet or scarf at night but still.

My hair is short so wearing it flat makes it look "undone" and it's too short to roll or pin curl without it looking bushy. My stylist keeps telling me, "If you keep ironing your hair like you are, you're never going to get the length and health we talked about." She's right but what to I do go around looking a hot mess?

I do deep condition each time and keep the setting of the iron on 1. Anything lower is "off".

Her solution is to wrap and go but again, my hair looks undone. What to do?

soulie

I guess I'm a member of Team Bonelax; I haven't flatironed my hair since June (before I relaxed) and when I wash and air dry or roller set it is as straight as if I had flatironed. So for me - I guess the answer is NEVER need it. I'm a little more than halfway through a 22 week stretch and my NG lays down very nicely.

foxieroxienyc

When I started on my hair journey I followed the traditional Cathy Howse method of washing/dc-ing 2x a week then airdry/flatiron. Worked very well for me, my hair was really healthy, and retained length.

Along the way I've tried many things because I fell under the thought pattern that heat is an evil evil thing...

I've done rollersetting...
I get broken hairs when the rollers come down no matter what.... Even when I comb/fingercomb curls out.

I tried the good ole wash and go....
Splits

So I realize for me the only way to tame my hair is by a very good long DC, airdry/flat iron. I'm going to go back to this method and see what happens. I'm 5 weeks post. Rollersetting leaves my roots nap-packed....:look: So I have to use direct heat on them anyways. I just washed/DC - heavy protein followed by Megasilk w/ heat/air dried/flat ironed on the SECOND LOWEST SETTING, and my hair is swanging, shiny, super soft, and happy. I've decided to go back to what works FOR ME.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I voted for other. I only flat iron on special occasions and my hair is very healthy. Any more then then that I would have major heat damage. My hair is more prone to that. :ohwell:

Mars_Reiko

Now that I know what a fortnight is:look:.... I can vote:grin:. I wash and dc every 2 weeks. Been doing this for almost a year now, and it has worked great.

texasqt

Once a week after a DC and applying a leave in and heat protector serum like Redken's Smooth Glide on wet hair. I'll airdry and flatiron sometimes using CHI Silk Infusion or Silk Elements heat protector spray on dry hair beforehand but nothing else.

Tinkerbell19

I flat iron once every 2 wks but I make sure to deep condition, add leave in conditioner and I use aveda to polish.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
It can be done once a week, but that's pushing it.

Only use one form of heat, don't blowdry AND flatiron. Deep condition like crazy and use a good heat protectant.

To be on the safe side, I say every 2 weeks :yep:

bbdgirl

I think it depends on your hair. Some can take it, some can't. I use to flat iron about once or twice a week. I retained no length because my hair was always being manipulated (and this is with air-drying). I also had split ends and thin hair. When I combed my hair, broken pieces would be all over my floor and counters. I flat iron about once a month or once every two months now; I usually wash n go. No split ends, very little breakage, and my hair is thicker :)

these are my sentiments exactly...I now refrain from ironing any more frequently than once a month or once every 6 weeks. I have noticed that my hair is retaining length better, plain and simple

KrimsonKween

I find it hard becasue my hair is not long enough to be long and not short enough to be short. i do d/c 3x a week and co-wash 2x and wash 1. I find it hard because my hair wrapped looks a mess and with my job I must maintain a certain apperance. I can not put it up because it it is not long enough and my hair just sticks out. I will be so glad when this in between stage is over. I flat iron about 2x per week on #1 setting. and use a heat protectanct each time. I do air dry to keep from using so much heat.