How much growth in a month??

Lindy

Ladies, How much growth a month are you *really* getting?? I know that many people here claim to get an inch or more of growth per month... I was measuring my hair yesterday for the 365 Day Challenge, and an inch a month is A LOT of growth.

I swear, I think I only get a quarter of an inch a month, cuz when I get my touchup every 16 weeks (4 months) I think I only have an inch, or MAYBE an inch and a half of new growth to relax!!! My hair grows sooo slow!!! :crying3:

kombov_dymond

My hair seems to grow somewhere around .5 to .75 a month using Surge regularly.

I try not to estimate my growth until after a relaxer because the pattern of the NG makes the amount of growth deceiving, especially if you used Surge.

ChasingBliss

Hey Lindy :wave:

My hair seems to vary month to month. I'd get 3/4 one month 1/2 another month but not much more than that. The back seems to grow faster though. It's like what ever the front is, the back is more. Honestly the only accurate measure I do get is the first exact month after my touch up. Anything after that is usually an estimated guess.

Edited to add that this is actually a step up, because before my vits and other stuff, I was only getting 1/4. So Im pretty much happy with what I get.

Last edited:

blkmaryland

Since joining this site, I always thought that my hair grew pretty fast (.75-1 inch a month) but did not grow long....now I realized that my hair doesn't grow fast (actually .25-.5 inch per month) but it can grow long. Using the bun and baggie methods, I can actually see length...so I am more happy with my slow growing length than my quick grow no length.....When I think of growth, I think of retention...if that makes any sense.

InsertCleverNameHere

My hair is weird. It lives by growth spurts. There will be 4 months periods where my hair grows .75-1 inch per month. The rest of the year, you really can't even tell if its growing.

SilkyandSmooth

ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:
My hair is weird. It lives by growth spurts. There will be 4 months periods where my hair grows .75-1 inch per month. The rest of the year, you really can't even tell if its growing.
Same here. :) I think my hair grows fastest during the Spring and Summer months. It seems like my growth is at a standstill right now.:ohwell:

Lindy

Thanks ladies... I think you're right about the amount of growth being deceiving because of the wave pattern... I guess if the hair was growing out straight, it would seem like more...

Anyway I'm hoping that the 3 month vitamin challenge, and surging may help to up my growth rate over the next few months... I seem to be perpetually stuck at "just under bra-strap length"... some strands are grazing the strap, but they're straggly so I know my stylist will be clipping them right off next month when I get my touchup... :ohwell:

I really think I need to just forget about my quest for "bra-strap length" and just concentrate on maintaining the health of what I already have...:ohwell:

adrienne0914

i've been taking vitamins consistenly for about three years. i have an occasional growth spurt here and there (maybe 1/2"), but for the most part, my hair grows 1/4" a month... :(

sengschick

The Bun Master
Without any aid (vits, add'l protein, etc) 1/4" per month. Even w/assistance I'd say 1/2-3/4". Never anything in excess of a whole inch :nono:.

Lindy your hair is beautiful and you are so close to your goal :) . The minute you stop focusing I'll bet you'll be there!

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
ReaLuvsAOxymoron said:

My hair is exactly like this too! Grows in these little spurts and then shuts down for a few months! It makes it really hard to measure so I only measure monthly growth now by calculating an average per month based on a years growth.

Boadicea

1/4" a month. Some times I get 1/2" a month or something in between the two. When I'm having a growth spurt (very rare) it's between 3/4"-1"

I'm taking Hartopia right now but it's only been a week.

Lindy

sengschick said:
Without any aid (vits, add'l protein, etc) 1/4" per month. Even w/assistance I'd say 1/2-3/4". Never anything in excess of a whole inch :nono:.

Lindy your hair is beautiful and you are so close to your goal :) . The minute you stop focusing I'll bet you'll be there!
Awww...!! :blush: Thanks Sengschick! I feel a little better now that many of you are saying you also get 1/4 to 1/2" a month!! :)

It's really hard to stop focusing though, when the goal is "oh-so-close"... :look: Just so frustrating!! :wallbash: Especially when after every trim it seems like I've made little or no progress from the last touch-up!! (And it's not like I'm trimming every 8 weeks.... we're talking 4 MONTHS here!!!) :mad:

dreemssold

My hair grew a whopping 2.5 inches between June and December. So not even a half inch per month. I had a trim in September, so I didn't even retain all of that :nono:.

chicamorena

I relax my hair every 3 months and by that time I usually have between 1.5-2 inches, sometimes more. So I'd say my hair grows between 1/2 -3/4 inches a month. I just focus on retaining that length. The bun and baggie challenge has really helped me do this.

luvlonghair

Hi Lindy, for me it all depends on what side of the head your looking at.:ohwell: I am currently 8 weeks post relaxer and the from and size measures about 1/4 to 1/2 in. The back and middle measure 1/2 to 3/4 in so it does depend on which side of the head. I'm developing a scalp serum and hopeful I can speed it up.

Last edited:

SandySea

My hair averages about 1/2" per month, but that number is only an average. Sometimes it is less. Oddly, I can't even see my new growth well enough to measure until the 5th or 6th week; and then it all seems to appear suddenly (of course I know that it only looks that way). I can count on about six inches of growth a year, now I'm trying to learn how to retain that length.

EbonyEyes

SandySea said:
My hair averages about 1/2" per month, but that number is only an average. Sometimes it is less. Oddly, I can't even see my new growth well enough to measure until the 5th or 6th week; and then it all seems to appear suddenly (of course I know that it only looks that way). I can count on about six inches of growth a year, now I'm trying to learn how to retain that length.

My hair acts the same way. I have had my braids in for 4 weeks and I swear that I have NO new growth! But I'm pretty sure that in a couple weeks, new growth will come out of nowhere. It's happens to me all the time.

-Ebony

DangerouslyShy

chicamorena said:
I relax my hair every 3 months and by that time I usually have between 1.5-2 inches, sometimes more. So I'd say my hair grows between 1/2 -3/4 inches a month. I just focus on retaining that length. The bun and baggie challenge has really helped me do this.
pretty much the same here

carolina_belle

I get around 1/4" without Surge. With consistent Surge use, I can get a little under 1/2". For me, it is retaining the ends more than getting inches of growth a month. I know my hair will grow, but I had see-through ends until coming to LHCF.

hairlover

SilkyandSmooth said:
Same here. :) I think my hair grows fastest during the Spring and Summer months. It seems like my growth is at a standstill right now.:ohwell:
same here. i get about 1/2 inch to an inch over the warmer months and it seems to be at a standstill right now.