Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Before Shampoo on dry hair

Votes: 132 57.1%
  • After Shampoo

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • After Conditioning

Votes: 17 7.4%

• Total voters
I've done pre-poo's with conditioners mixed with oils (coconut mostly and dove intensive therapy or some other conditioner), i did a molasses treatment as a pre-poo, and I've done alma oil as a pre-poo. The molasses and alma pre-poo's left my hair the softest. These were all done on dry hair. However, I never wash my hair without putting on phytopollient pre-po O/N essential oils...I just always do it even when I know I'm going to put something else on.:look: My hair is always shiny though at least on the parts that are relaxed b/c I when I seal my leave-in's I use cantu shea butter silken sheen.

nappity

Oil- any oil works best on my hair as a prepoo on slightly damp hair( I mist it with water first)
I'm still trying to figure out if my hair likes oils, I know this seems simple- but sometimes my hair feels crunchy and other times it doesn't.

brownsugar25

I do a light shampoo or baking soda rinse (just to remove the hairspray/gel) the I apply the oil (coconut/evoo/ect) sleep in it overnight. rinse, wash, and condition in the morning. Soft and Shiny my hair drinks it up, since I started doing this, 2 inches of growth in 1 month and a half.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

moonglowdiva

I have an unconventional way of applying hot oil. I only mix it with other conditioners and use it as a deep conditioner that way because if I follow the directions then my hair will be an oily mess:perplexed. Mixing it with other conditioner is MY perfect fit:yep: BTW I didn't vote my choice not listed.

2themax

1st I shampoo, then condition & towel dry. Afterward, I do a hot oil treatment: Massage about 1 oz thru my hair & scalp. Then I sit under a heating cap for 20-30 min & then rinse it out. After that, my hair is so soft I cannot believe it!! :grin: My hair looks less drier than it used to.

Sometimes, before I do the hot oil treatment, I will use Henna/Placenta conditioner & sit under a heating cap for about 20 min & then rinse out. This is for the dry, damaged hair I have suffered :nono:.

Hope that help!!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am sitting here thinking of a masterplan. I cant remember the last time I did a oil treatment...Do you ladies think its necessary to do a hot oil treatment if you already use oil on your hair and ends on weekly? I say weekly because I wear a LF and only see my hair once a week and that to wash, moisturize, etc. I braid my hair using EVCO, then after all is done I rub dang near all my oils over my braids. Do you ladies think I need more oil like a oil treatment?

Tee

I voted on wet hair before I poo but I meant on dry hair. I don't do them often.

camilla

I warm up a tablespoon each of jojoba, olive, and coconut oil in the microwave. I put the oil on dry hair and then put on a plastic cap. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then shampoo.

A lot of the ladies use conditioner and oil. For some reason, it did not work well for my hair so I just use oil. It works better for me. :)

I DO THE SAME WARM UP THE OIL FIRST THEN PUT ON SCALP AND HAIR SIT UNDER DRYER THEN SHAMPOO AND CONDISH I RANGE FROM OILVE COCONUT AMLA

I ALSO USE QUEEN HELENE :lick:JOJOBA OIL HOT OIL TREATMENT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHAMPOO OUT IT IS NOT OILY AND IT FOAMS WHEN YOU APPLY IT IS THE TRUTH!!!! ABOUT 2.50 FOR AN EIGHT OZ BOTTLE
WHEN I STRAIGHTEN IT IS SOOOOO SHINEY

Last edited:

tgrowe

Deep conditioning along with a hot oil treatment saved my hair Monday night. My hair has been shedding like a long hair dog lately and I was too through. And I had broken hairs as well. My hair was DRYYYYY and if I just touched my hair, I was sure to have a return of shedding or broken pieces of hair. I basically started over. I clarified with Pantene clarifying poo (one lather), followed that with Pantene R&N Intensive Moisturizing poo (one lather), followed that with some hot oil treatment and Pantene R&N Deep Condish Mask/melted shea butter/oil mixture (can't ya tell I love Pantene?). My final rinse was ACV. Worked like a charm. No shedding and no broken hairs unless I manipulate it.

PGirl

Is there a such thing as a STAPLE technique? Well hot oil treatments on dry hair with a cap and 30 minutes of heat is something I do every wash. It helps me detangle when I'm several weeks post relaxer. I love it. Right now I'm all about coconut oil but there hasn't been an oil that didn't work for me.

Lucky's Mom

Is there a such thing as a STAPLE technique? Well hot oil treatments on dry hair with a cap and 30 minutes of heat is something I do every wash. It helps me detangle when I'm several weeks post relaxer. I love it. Right now I'm all about coconut oil but there hasn't been an oil that didn't work for me.

Yep - a staple for me.

Fhrizzball

hot oil treatments make my hair tangly. However just covering the oil over the shampoo or conditioner helps detangle it so well and doesn't give me a strip feeling that poos can sometimes give. I first discovered it using Amla but sadly I'm all out of that oil now...

Prudent1

I voted 'before shampoo on wet hair'. I liked this method better b/c when I used hot oil treatments after shampooing I did not care for the way my hair felt/ responded. The oils in most products were too heavy for me. I get the best results when using a conditioner first followed by lighter oils (like coconut, grapeseed, etc) to seal moisture in. I'm currently texlaxed and 3c.

spencd

Ok, my hair is soooooo thirsty and don't have much money today for new products. I have honey, coco oil, grapeseed oil, peppermint oil, and olive oil, also some castor oil grease. What should I do with any of these if not all? I think I have enough to get Queen Helene Jojoba oil which can take to beauty parlour and sit under dryer with. Please help Ladies.

Aggie

Ok, my hair is soooooo thirsty and don't have much money today for new products. I have honey, coco oil, grapeseed oil, peppermint oil, and olive oil, also some castor oil grease. What should I do with any of these if not all? I think I have enough to get Queen Helene Jojoba oil which can take to beauty parlour and sit under dryer with. Please help Ladies.

First things first, clarify your hair of all product build up if needed. I'd say forget the castor oil grease and use a little honey mixed with either the coconut or olive oil, these two oils will add moisture to your hair. Slightly heat the oil in the microwave, mix in the honey and apply to your hair and leave it on under a dryer for 20-30 minutes, then shampoo as usual. Remember to use a moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards for another 30 minutes or your efforts may end up being in vain. HTH!

Aggie

I have a lot of new growth right now so doing a hot oil treatment on dry hair is better for me. I heat evoo with a little molasses in the microwave oven for a few seconds to make the application easy and smooth, apply to my hair, sit under a hooded dryer for 30-60 minutes, then shampoo and deep condition as usual.

spencd

I went to beauty parlour. I took my theraphee poo and brought queen helene jojoba oil. I sat under the dryer with the oil after wash and she rinsed it out and put in the silicon mix. I was so upset when she did this. She took her time to comb it but I think sm is a protein conditoner. I did not have any humectress with me. Next time I will try it with the humectress. It did not come out as bad as I thought but afraid that hair will break because of sm. I will try your suggestions as a pre poo and see what happens. Thanks!

Lita

After Protein & Dc. Melt Avocado Butter,Mango Butter & little Jojoba oil. Pour Over hair, put cap on.5-10 min rinse. Smooth & Shiny Hair For DAYS. Happy Hair Growing!