HOT OIL TREATMENT Q&A

hair911

I have read in here hot oil treatments are good. I need help.
1)Do you do a hot oil treatment on wet or dry hair?
2)Do you shampoo and condition your hair before or after the hotoil treatment?
3)What products do you use to do this?
4)Do you have to sit under a dryer for a hot oil treatment?
5)How often should you do it?

I need your help ladies.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Bump...sorry I could not help u but...

...I've never done a hot oil treatment because I still dont see the benefit of doing one. I know some have said you get softer and more manageable hair but I have other products that do that for me...

NaturalRox

Hair911, I use hot oil treatments about once every week and it's very beneficial to my hair by making it feel soft and moisturized. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I mainly do it on dry hair.
2. I conditioner wash pretty much everyday, but I always do my hot oil treatment on my shampoo/clarifying day. I apply the treatment, then follow by washing with shampoo and conditioner - it feels heavenly afterward!
3. For my hot oil treatment I use 2 TBSP of EVOO and 1 TBSP of honey.
4. To save time, I usually use my heat cap when doing this, but you don't have to - some ladies leave it on while taking care of other things and then rinse it out.
5. Again, I do this weekly but some do it every other week or once a month - whatever your hair responds to best!

HTH!

Boadicea

Dry hair

After

Regular EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) from the supermarket. I then put Suave Milk & Honey conditioner right over it.

Certainly not, but many like to. I sit under my soft bonnet dryer for 45-90 minutes

That really depends on your hair. I do it twice a week (mon. and thurs.) Try once a week or once every two weeks if it's new to you.

HTH!

Neroli

1) saturate dry hair with the hot oil
2) shampoo and conditioner after the hot oil
3) various oils mixed or used alone (olive, coconut, jojoba, shea butter, castor, etc.) just about any natural oils or a pre-mixed store bought
4) sometimes I used heat, sometimes not, depending on how much time I had. I would warm the oils (do NOT over heat the oils, just warm), saturate my hair and cover with a plastic cap. Then let sit with or without heat for about 10 minutes and rinse out. Then shampoo and condition.
5) I use to do once a week.

I don't do anymore because I didn't see any dramatic results -- didn't seem worth the trouble for me. I think the problem was that the benefits of the oils would just get shampooed out. However, when I tried doing it AFTER shampooing, then my hair was just too weighed down and heavy and would not have any bounce. SOOOOO, I'm not an advocate either way. I now just put natural oils in my washout conditioners in order to receive the benefits. I found this to me much much better for my 4b relaxed hair. I know others DO obtain good results from hotoils so you may want to try it, maybe your hair will like it . . .

As

myco

[ QUOTE ]
hair911 said:
I have read in here hot oil treatments are good. I need help.
<font color="blue"> I've done it on both. . If I'm doing it for a pre-shampoo treatment, I do it on dry hair. It's easier to massage my scalp that way. </font>

<font color="blue"> Right now I'm testing out a new summer regimen. Since the weather is warmer and a lot more humid (it's rained almost everyday for the last 2 weeks), I'm going to see if I can cut back on my deep conditioning and save that for the colder months. So now I'll shampoo my hair first, then apply the oil. After 10-15 minutes I rinse it out and apply conditioner to help detangle and cut some of the oil so that my hair won't be greasy when it dries. I rinse the conditioner out after about 3-5 minutes. It's kind of like a CO wash instead of what I ususally do for deep conditioning. So far so good.</font>

<font color="blue"> I really like coconut oil and olive oil for both pre-poo and post-poo treatment. For pre-poo treatments, I sometimes add honey to the oil. </font>

<font color="blue"> If I'm doing it after I shampoo, I cover my head with a cap and sit under the dryer for 10-15 minutes. If it's for a pre-poo treatment, I just cover my head with a towel and leave it anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. </font>

<font color="blue"> Right now I'm doing the post-shampoo oil treatment 2x a week. </font>

I need your help ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

dreemssold

Both. More often than not, I do it when my hair is slightly damp.
After.
I use a mix of oils, but I've just bought Hot 6 Oil, which I like, and will probably use from this point forward.
I sit under my heat cap, but you don't have to, no. The oil should already be warm...a plastic cap ought to suffice.
I just do it as I think it's needed, when my hair needs or deserves extra pampering. I'd say 2-3 times a month, maybe. HTH

babyblue

1.mainly on dry hair, sometimes i dampen it first
2. shampoo and condition after
3. mainly use olive oil alone or mixed with other things like honey or conditioner
4. No dryer. just a platic cap for an hour and go on about my business. maybe do some vigorous house cleaning to work up a sweat and generate heat lol.
5. I do it whenever i feel like i need it

hair911

If you wash your hair after the hot oil treatment doesn't that wash away all of the oil??

I hope my questions don't sound ridiculous.