• Before Shampoo on dry hair

Votes: 132 57.1%
  • After Shampoo

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • After Conditioning

Votes: 17 7.4%

• Total voters

Soul♥Flower

Do you do it efore or after you wash? Do you do it after you condition? If you do a hot oil treatment before you wash, do you put the oil on dry or wet/damp hair? What were your results?

If you've tried it more than one, which way was better IYO and what were the results?

RZILYNT

I put the conditoner on first from root to ends, then apply hot oil on top of that concentrating on the ends. I use both at the same time after my shampoo. Sit under the dryer with plastic cap for 20 - 30 mins. Soft shiny hair. Needs no extra gloss afterwards.

BrownSkin2

I wet my hair and apply oil to the scalp and hair, cover with a plastic cap for 20 minutes before shampooing.

P

peacefulstrength

i think most people on here do the pre-poo method including me....which brings up another good question. When doing the pre-poo method is it best to but the conditioner first in your hair and then apply the oil of your choice or put the oil on first and then the conditioner or does it even matter?

Soul♥Flower

RZILYNT said:
I put the conditoner on first from root to ends, then apply hot oil on top of that concentrating on the ends. I use both at the same time after my shampoo. Sit under the dryer with plastic cap for 20 - 30 mins. Soft shiny hair. Needs no extra gloss afterwards.

That sounds like a good idea, I'm going to try this. I asked this question because normally when I do a hot oil treatment (w/olive oil). My hair doesn't seem too much different. So I thought I may be doing it wrong. Anyone else have any ideas?

LocksOfLuV

addydoll said:
i think most people on here do the pre-poo method including me....which brings up another good question. When doing the pre-poo method is it best to but the conditioner first in your hair and then apply the oil of your choice or put the oil on first and then the conditioner or does it even matter?

I add the conditioner first then the oil.

Rinygirl you can try a different oil or just try adding conditioner plus oil. I know oil alone doesn't cut it for me.

VroniL2006

I am confused, i thought prepooing was using a hot oil treatment...what is this about oil and a conditioner? Do most of you use a conditioner and hot oil treatment at the same time when prepooing? If so, are you putting the conditioner on first and then the oil to trap the moisture in?

Soul♥Flower

Prepooing (short for pre-shampoo treatment) is just doing a treatment before you shampoo your hair. It can be anything oil, conditioner, reconstructer, food(lol)....

Ambitious1013

I warm up a tablespoon each of jojoba, olive, and coconut oil in the microwave. I put the oil on dry hair and then put on a plastic cap. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes then shampoo.

A lot of the ladies use conditioner and oil. For some reason, it did not work well for my hair so I just use oil. It works better for me. :)

MzOptimistic

rinygirl6 said:
Do you do it efore or after you wash? Do you do it after you condition? If you do a hot oil treatment before you wash, do you put the oil on dry or wet/damp hair? What were your results?​

If you've tried it more than one, which way was better IYO and what were the results?​

I rinse my hair then apply my hot oil to my hair sit under the heating cap for 30 minutes or sometimes I shampoo first, rinse, apply hot oil and sit under the heating cap for 30 minutes. I have never done it on dry hair before. Either way works fine for me. Haven't been doing it lately cuz my hair has not been dry. Deep condition every 3 days:)

P

peacefulstrength

LocksOfLuV said:

Rinygirl you can try a different oil or just try adding conditioner plus oil. I know oil alone doesn't cut it for me.

thanks I usally put the oil first. I'll try it that way to see if theres any difference next time that I was my hair.

~Nigeria~

I do hot oil treatments before I shampoo on dry hair with a heat cap. Sometimes I add conditioner. But I always apply the oil first.

Proudpiscean

LocksOfLuV said:

Same here. My hair does NOT like hot oil treatments alone. :ohwell:

deontaer

I do an evoo, amla and essential oil pre treatment on dry hair. I leave it on over night with a conditioner cap then shampoo and deep condition in the morning as usual. I get super soft and shiny hair as a result. For me, doing a hot oil treatment after washing made my hair feel hard and look limp and lifeless

spelmanlocks

RZILYNT said:

This is what I do as well. I apply a deep conditioner and then pour the hot oil treatment over the conditioner. It makes my hair very soft.

ChasingBliss

I do mine on damp hair before shampooing and put on a plastic cap tied down with a scarf overnight. My favorite mixture is Grapeseed or Olive oil (as a base) with several drops of peppermint and rosemary essential oils. I actually massage it in my scalp for a couple of minutes before tying down...

cocoa32

I do mine on dry hair before shampooing. I get really good results with oiling the hair first then applying conditioner on top with a plastic cap. Hair comes out like butta!

wheezy807

Sorry ladies, but what is the purpose of a hot oil treatment? I always thought hot oil treatment were only used on damaged hair.

daedae157

wheezy807 said:
Sorry ladies, but what is the purpose of a hot oil treatment? I always thought hot oil treatment were only used on damaged hair.
a hot oil treatment can be used for healthy hair and especially for damaged hair. ;) it gives the hair and scalp extra shine and moisture.

daedae157

i hate pre-poos! :down:
i tried one once and my hair felt like gunk after i tried to shampoo my hair! :eek: :barf:

i do hot oil treatments after i shampoo and reg. condition my hair. i use it as a deep conditioner, and sit under the dryer for 10 min. then i rinse out, and my hair feels like silk! :love: i only do them about 1x a month or 1x every 6 weeks. :D

Last edited:

HERicane10

Sometimes I'll do a coconut oil prepoo with a plastic cap for 30min-1hr. But if I'm going to DC with my Cathy Howse Recipe Conditioner, then I usually don't, as it has about a cup of oils in its mix. :)

Oil treatments are great for achieving that "no product" shine!:)

gymfreak336

I have been loving hot oil on dry hair lately. I use coconut, alma, or olive oil and let it sit for atleast 30 minutes to an hour. Shampoo and condition as usual.

favorc

I do mines after I shampoo. I towel dry the hair then apply it for 20-30 mn under a dryer with a plastic cap.