How do you condition your hair???

**JazzyCoils**

Usually after washing my hair, I condition my hair from the roots to the ends. I then leave it in for 3 minutes. Is it bad to condition your roots? Someone told me that you are only supposed to condition your hair starting from your ear on down. :ohwell:

The only problem is...I BC'd and I only have ear length hair now

By the way I am a newbie and Im still learning the ropes. I will have my avatar up soon! TIA.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Usually after washing my hair, I condition my hair from the roots to the ends. I then leave it in for 3 minutes. Is it bad to condition your roots? Someone told me that you are only supposed to condition your hair starting from your ear on down. :ohwell:

The only problem is...I BC'd and I only have ear length hair now

By the way I am a newbie and Im still learning the ropes. I will have my avatar up soon! TIA.

I think you should leave it in longer than that.

Ms.Christ3n

I just slap the conditioner on my hair roots and all. I let it stay on my hair while I'm taking a shower and making life decisions, all of 8-9 minutes, and then rinse it out.

Tyra

Saturate from root to end with conditioner...then I sleep with it in.:look:
I don't know if 3 minutes is long enough, as I usually have mine in for at least 5 hours.:lol:

JJamiah

I steam mines in for about 30 minutes , sometimes I still let it sit for an hour. When I use my self heating cap I leave it on for 2 hours.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I make SURE to get the roots...I want all of my hair covered, especially the line of demarcation...and I leave it in for about 10 mins while I finish showering

**JazzyCoils**

Okay..I will leave my conditioner in longer. I also pre poo with olive oil and jojoba oil over night before I wash. I put on a plastic shower cap, then I put my satin bonnet over that and sleep in my oil befor I was it out the next day. I love it! The results are very soft!

Toy

I slather the conditioner from root to tip and leave it for about 30mins to 1hr under a heat cap.

Ms.Christ3n

Are you talking about regular conditioner or deep conditioner? I was referring to regular 'ole Suave conditioner.

ceebee3

Are you talking about regular conditioner or deep conditioner? I was referring to regular 'ole Suave conditioner.

LOL, I don't use regular conditioner to condition, I just use it to detangle and rinse my hair.

I just assumed everyone was talking about deep conditioners.

lilsparkle825

when cowashing, i concentrate on my ends, but usually because i am detangling. i apply it everywhere before running my head under the shower head (this helps it "work" better, IMO). it probably stays in about 5 minutes, then i rinse most of it out. what doesn't get rinsed is used like a leave-in and stays in my hair.

when DCing i make sure to get my roots and ends equally. i leave that in for no less than 30 minutes.

Americka

I apply my deep conditioner as if I were relaxing my hair from root to tip, cover with a baggy and sit under the heat cap for at least 20 minutes. If I am not using the heat cap (which is rare), I let it sit for at least 45 minutes.

Blessedmocha

I apply Deep Conditioner to dry hair. Leave in for 30mins to 1hr using soft bonnet dryer. I then shampoo and use normal conditioner to rinse/ detangle.
I repeat this every 2-3 days.

Tangie

I pretty much only use conditioner when dc'ing. I apply it root to tip. I especially concentrate on my roots when I have substanstial new growth to make it easy to detangle.

**JazzyCoils**

Yes I meant just regular conditioner after co-washing in the shower. when I DC I make sure to drench every strand from root to tip!:grin:

I heard that it was bad to condition the roots for some reason. I need to do some research on that.:perplexed

But atleast I now know that my DC time needs to increase big time!:yep:
Thanks for your opinions ladies!

ladylina

I condition root to tip for a least 45 mins with heat. I make sure I put a little bit extra on my ends since that is the oldest part of my hair. When i CW I leave on for just a couple of mins then detangle and wash out.

ms.blue

I saturate my hair from root to tip like if I'm applying a virgin relaxer and dc anywhere from 20-60 minutes either with or w/o heat. Co-washing only for a couple of minutes pretty much like Ms. Christ3n does.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
from root to tip, unfortunately. it seems to be impossible to avoid getting to the roots. i don't like it because the conditioner always finds a way to my scalp, and it takes to long to get it all off. ♥

Stacy TheLady

I use my regular condish for co wash (5mins) and DC (2hrs) from root to tip and then some. LOL. **heavy hand here**

I am satisfied with my results and just pointing out: the dry DC is the best

Last edited:

aquafinawetwet

24 hours sometimes i don't even wash out the conditioner just leave it on and spray some s-curl over it ..and the moisture is ridiculous

Foufie

I let my regular conditioner sit while I am showering then proceed to use my shower comb and rinse most of it out. I leave in a little for all day moisture.

I learned from AdoraAdora24 to DC on dry hair for at least 4 hours.