• No

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 71 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
A few months ago, a stylist was giving hair tips in Cosmo magazine. Among other things, he said that dc'ing on dry hair was better because conditioner penetrates a lot more efficiently on dry hair than wet hair. He said you should dc with heat, rinse, shampoo and do a quick condition afterwards. I've been doing it like that ever since I read it, and I love how my hair feels. Convenience AND great results :grin:
That's good to know. I'm gonna start doing this more often because I refuse to shower hop:nono:.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I've been doing this for the past 3 mos and there's no turning back now, hair feel softer, and like someone else mentioned I was tired of shower hopping.

1st Lady P

Did it for the first time last night. I must admit it was a bit weird - I felt like I wasn't getting it everywhere!! Also, I thought I might have used a whole lot more product than usual. ANYWAY, I'm not complaining because I can't begin to tell you how much I hated the 2nd trip to the shower!! I often ended up sleeping in my plastic cap!!!

I DC'ed and put on plastic cap
Sat under heated conditioning cap for 30-40 minutes
Washed out in shower (it didn't have that slip that I liked so...)
Followed with KeraCare conditioner and washed out

Results were the same as when I did it after getting in the shower and pooing first. Thanks so much LHCF family for spreading this tried & true method!!

Butterfly08

I DC'd on dry hair last nite and washed tonite. I'm sitting under Mr. Pibbs right now in rollers. :grin: I am officially in love with this method. It's convenient and extremely effective. My hair feels so smooth and soft afterwards. This thread deserves 10 stars! :yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i do this all the time. i thought this was the wrong way.:perplexed i usually like to do it over night w/o heat and it works for me

nijilah

My friend from Eritrea (formally part of Ethiopia and I can't spell) did this. I started a thread about it a couple of years ago.

She used ghee butter on dry hair, went to sleep, and then work up and did a light wash and quick conditioning rinse. A Ethipian hair dresser recommended this to her to combat her hair breakage. She had beautiful hair but it started to break after she came to the US. Ghee butter or even unsalted regular butter could be used. Both come close to something that they use at home to do this same treatment, but she said at home, women have the time and are always conditioning and caring for their hair with natural products.

The point is...IT WORKED!

I feel bad and lazy that I haven't done this in a while. I do it in the summer because I air dry, but in the winter, I can go out in 25 degree weather with wet hair, and I don't blow dry. However, I am doing this tonight!

LongHairDreams

sometimes i'll deep condition on dry hair instead of doing a pre-poo. this works better for me than doing it on wet hair (when i'm not using a dryer)...

the way i see it, the hair can soak up more moisture from the conditioner when it's dry than when it's wet. the same way a sponge soaks up more stuff when it's dry as opposed to when it's wet.

^^^This is a good point.

I've been doing it ever since Sareca posted about it.

I dc on dry hair and oil rinse(also sareca) and my hair is always soft, glossy, and managable...

^^^^What is the oil rince all about? I'll have to look up sareca.

Exactly....and I don't sit under a dryer to DC. I just apply the DC, cover with a plasitc cap for 30-45 minutes, using body heat only for conditioning.

I used to shampoo first, then DC, and I find I get the same the results with DC on dry hair...and I LOVE getting in the shower just one time.

^^^^I was going to ask if using a heating cap/plastic cap would work just as good at the dryer.

Im gonna have to try DCing on dry hair my next "wash" day.
So what are you guys doing? DC on dry hair. Rince then do what? Co-wash and do a little dc?

Cleve_gryl

fnggrant;3788183 Im gonna have to try DCing on dry hair my next "wash" day. [B said:
So what are you guys doing? DC on dry hair. Rince then do what? Co-wash and do a little dc[/b]?
Apply your deep conditioner on your dry hair, let it sit however long or get under some heat...rinse, wash with poo or cowash (whatever you do to cleanse the head), and voila!! Or, you can do a quick rinse with another conditoner if you don't have enough slip to detangle.

When I dc on dry hair, I wash with CON poo so I have plenty slip to detangle. :yep:

LongHairDreams

Apply your deep conditioner on your dry hair, let it sit however long or get under some heat...rinse, wash with poo or cowash (whatever you do to cleanse the head), and voila!! Or, you can do a quick rinse with another conditoner if you don't have enough slip to detangle.

When I dc on dry hair, I wash with CON poo so I have plenty slip to detangle. :yep:

Thanks. I LOVE Creme of Nature!!!

JustKiya

I DC on dry hair when I'm using something esp. runny - I feel like it allows my hair to 'soak up' more of the treatment.....

yodie

I'm trying it right now as I type this. Hopefully this will be part of my regimen.

Love the idea of getting in the shower just once.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I only DC on dry hair when I’m applying my egg treatment or coconut milk+conditioner treatment, which can be on the runny side, and I do feel that my hair “soaks up” the treatment better when my hair is dry as nappywomyn mentioned. :lol: Otherwise I DC on wet hair, w/o heat just a plastic cap for 60+ mins. I haven’t noticed a spectacular difference between DC’ing on dry hair as oppose to wet, my hair reaps the benefits either way. :)

AtlantaJJ

I had never thought about this until I saw this thread. So last night I put some Elasa QP DPR-11 on my dry hair and sat under my hood dryer for about 30 minutes. I will admit that it felt weird to put conditioner on dry hair. It was hard for me to tell if I used enough. I am so used to putting my conditioner on wet hair and then gently combing through, so I can ensure the conditioner gets distributed to all of my hair and to know if I used enough.

Anyway, I then jumped in the shower, rinsed my hair, and then put some more (just a little) conditioner on (habit I guess),
did my shower business :bath2:and then did a final rinse.

My hair felt like BUTTA! I felt like like shaking my hair and dancing like a RocStar.
:rocker:

My hair tends to be on the dry side and I can't remember a time my hair felt like it did last night right out of the shower. Oh and only having to go in the shower one time was like the cherry on top.

I would recommend that everyone try conditioning on dry hair at least once. It worked for me and might for you. :grin:
LOL @ your little icons!! I am going to start DCing on dry hair 2 x/ week...that settles it after reading all these great post. I used to do this ages a go with olive oil but was that was a pre-poo instead of a pre-poo DC?

PrettyBlackHair

sometimes i'll deep condition on dry hair instead of doing a pre-poo. this works better for me than doing it on wet hair (when i'm not using a dryer)...

the way i see it, the hair can soak up more moisture from the conditioner when it's dry than when it's wet. the same way a sponge soaks up more stuff when it's dry as opposed to when it's wet.

What is the difference?

PrettyBlackHair

oh and after you guys rinse out the DC and shampoo do you just do a quick rinse rinse for a couple minutes with another moisturizing conditioner?

Aggie

What is the difference?[/quote]

The difference is that you can can put just about any conditioner and/or oils on dry hair for an hour or so before you poo without heat and that would be considered pre-pooing. Pre-pooing helps to alleviate the harsh stripping effects of some shampoos especially the sulfate-rich ones.

Deep Conditioning on dry hair is actually putting on a deep moisturizing conditioner on the hair and sitting under a hooded dryer or conditioning cap with heat for at least 30 minutes or more to deeply moisturize, condition and soften the hair. HTH.

Last edited:

Aggie

oh and after you guys rinse out the DC and shampoo do you just do a quick rinse rinse for a couple minutes with another moisturizing conditioner?[/quote]

Actually I dilute my poo and do a quick wash followed by a quick conditioner with a little of the same one I used for the DCing on dry hair and I usually do this part in the shower.

Crystalicequeen123

Awesome! :up: I'm definitely going to try this because I HATE to shower hop. I always get lazy and then end up just rinsing out my hair in the bathtub (not as great as shower rinsing :( ).

OOooo I can't wait to try this method! I just got my hair done yesterday, but I'm almost tempted to try this method when I get home tonight!! :giggle:

It makes more sense! Duh...dry hair will always soak up more moisture than wet hair. And in this crisp dry winter weather we've been having, I'm sure my hair will thank me! :yep:

PrettyBlackHair

oh and after you guys rinse out the DC and shampoo do you just do a quick rinse rinse for a couple minutes with another moisturizing conditioner?[/quote]

Actually I dilute my poo and do a quick wash followed by a quick conditioner with a little of the same one I used for the DCing on dry hair and I usually do this part in the shower.

Thanks for clearing both those questions up! :yep:

LongHairDreams

I did this for the first time today and didn't notice any difference. My hair is short so I wash it in the sink. As soon as my hair gets to the length where it touches the sink, i'll move to the shower and do this again.

rosie

Okay, I have a question about Henna and dcing.

Can I dc, then with hair sopping wet with my condish, put the henna on my hair?

Do you think it would penatrate and place the color like it is supposed to?

*Muffin*

No, I don't DC on dry hair. Even if I'm DC'ing without washing my hair, I will spray my hair with some water just to dampen it before I apply the conditioner. I don't know if this is necessary or not, I just do it out of habit.

krissynick

u know i was just thinking about this and i just realized soemthing deep conditioning on dry is not bad..... but most of the time when we wash our hair its because its dirty right... so to put conditioner on top of dirty hair and hair that has product on it.. does that really make sense.... i think the main reason why deep conditioners are put on after shampooing... is because the hair is clean and.........the condtioner can penetrate better and work better.. but i mean if u wash often then i guess deep condition on dry hair will not be problem.. personally i like to deep condition on dry hair cause i like the way it detangles my hair frist before i start washing... i have to struggle less during the whole process...

Nutmeg

I haven't been on the forum in AGES, but now that I'm officially transitioning, my routine must change. I was wondering about DCing on dry hair a couple of days ago, and I'm so happy to see I'm not the only one...thanks for the feedback, ladies!

Soliel185

I always DC on Dry hair. I used mostly natural products and Vatika Oil on my hair and I wear protective styles 99% of the time, so I don't feel like I'm putting it on dirty or product laden hair.