How can I dye my Locs so that my hair still looks good as I grow the color out?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
my Locs are golden blonde and I want to dye them a darker color. I want to dye them something that's not too extreme but as my hair grows out, it will still look good without keeping up with touch ups. I want there to be a kind of gradual effect where my hair gets darker from root to tip. I'd dye my whole head or most of it and let my hair keep growing its regular blonde color. Any suggestions on how to go about this or what colors I should use? I'm albino so yeah I have naturally blonde hair and I want darker hair....either some form of brown or reddish blonde.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 92

Lilmama1011

I wouldn't go no darker than 2 shades so it looks gradual and the one shade still might not be dark enough

Last edited:

Ivonnovi

I wish I had your hair color!

Have you considered applying the color only on the latter 3rd - 1/2 of your locs? (in a reverse ombre' but not with too dark of a shade). This way your new growth would continue to be the normal color and the touch-ups would be required only as you see fit.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I agree, I wouldn't dye it no more than two shades from your natural color; especially if your trying to avoid touchups. However, like the other poster said, maybe dye your ends for the ombre look, that way you wont have to worry about touchups. I think a reddish brown would look awesome

Guinan

Re-Branding
Like this color: Sorry for the large pic

Guinan

Re-Branding
This is a nice color. It's alittle darker than your natural color but it will look nice as your natural blonde grows in with this darker blonde.

Ivonnovi

Ya'll are making miss my old sisterlocks. These are the colors and volume I wished for!

BTW OP, as I typed that I remembered that other light-skinned* loc'rs like me, would advise me to dye my hair that color (blonde), but I wouldn't because I was concerned about color contrasts and retouching.

The hair around my crown is thin, * the blonde/golden suggestions were made to reduce the contrast between my dark hair and light scalp*.

(I chuckled as I recalled these conversations)