Gray hair dilemma--opinions needed

Ipanema

Here's my story: I've been on this board a long time. My hair is natural 4a/b, premature gray. I grew it long, wore locs for a year, and then shaved my head. Now I'm wearing wigs over a twa. I have a huge gray streak (like 5 inches wide) going from my hairline to the back of my head like a skunk. It's 80-100% white hair. The rest is steadily turning white, too.

Now I'm tired of the wigs (uncomfortable, too hot, etc.), but the skunk-like pattern doesn't look right on a twa, so I want to dye it. I heard gray hair is hard to dye, so I don't want to look crazy if the dye starts to fade. Also, my hair grows fast, so I'll have to deal with roots, too. I read online that you shouldn't go more than 1 or 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural hair color, so I thought maybe I could do something different and dye it strawberry blonde since my natural hair color is quickly becoming "white." However, I have a few job interviews coming up, and I want to look decent. I have three boxes of dye in my cabinet: black, brown black, and strawberry blonde.

What would you do if you were in this situation?

BostonMaria

Would you consider getting it professionally done? I have greys but I just color them black like the rest of my hair so its relatively easy. Since you want to go lighter I would definitely recommend going to a salon.

Ipanema

I'd like to color it myself. I guess blond colors bleach the hair, but I really just want the gray hair stained a darker, golden color. I have a warm complexion, and the white doesn't look good right now.

danysedai

I have a LOT of gray hair (considering going gray once and for all) but my problem is kinda easier than yours as I dye my whole head black.
In your case take note that the grays won't take colour as easily as the rest of the head so you could end up with different colours.
I know you just said that you want to do it yourself but this is one instance where I would at least go for a colour consult with an experienced colorist, listen to what they would recommend and then decide if I let them do it or I do it myself. You also said you have some job interviews coming soon so take into consideration that if something goes wrong with the colour you could end up with not so nice results and an important job interview coming.
I know this is not what you wanted and maybe some other ladies will chime in but as someone with a head almost full of grays I do understand your dilemma.
Good luck!

Crystal

I'd make sure I did a test patch of the strawberry blond if I were you. I prematured grey also and I HATE it.... ugh... I'm natural and I chose to do a demi permenant. I use Color Gems in brown.

kandiekj100

I also have a grey streak in the front. Whenever I dye my hair, the grey streak is always several shades lighter than the rest of my hair. But i actually like that.

Currently I henna. Again, the grey is not magically gone, but instead I'm left with this copper colored streak. Again, I just roll with it. And when my hair was in the TWA stage, I still would just rock the streak. So I guess I don't have any much advice, except for me, it is easier not to try to fight it. But if you really want to hide the strea, I agree with other posters; it may be better to just go to a professional.

Please excuse the giant greasy forhead, LOL!

Last edited:

Ipanema

Thanks everyone who replied. I know not many people have to deal with this. Once my hair is white all over, I'm just going to wear it like that & maybe grow it out again. But right now it's almost like I can't do anything with my hair. I used to braid it when I needed a break, but no nice extension hair matches anymore. Even the wigs are a problem because most are made to sit behind the hairline to blend in, and my hairline does not match.

Also, I've tried henna before, and it turned the gray hairs orange then they turned white again after rinsing. My hair is very coarse & nonporous. Oh, well.

Duchesse

I'm 28 with what is now about a full inch wide white streak in the middle of my forehead, and now grays sprouting all over..so I feel your pain. I henna and indigo now. I think in your situation you should go darker....Strawberry blond might look crazy esp. if you do it yourself and it seems like a significant amount of your hair is gray.

gn1g

i would wear a wig too the interview and wear my natural hair color forever. dump the color.

gn1g

what do you color your hair with?

QUOTE=danysedai;12927315]I have a LOT of gray hair (considering going gray once and for all) but my problem is kinda easier than yours as I dye my whole head black.
In your case take note that the grays won't take colour as easily as the rest of the head so you could end up with different colours.
I know you just said that you want to do it yourself but this is one instance where I would at least go for a colour consult with an experienced colorist, listen to what they would recommend and then decide if I let them do it or I do it myself. You also said you have some job interviews coming soon so take into consideration that if something goes wrong with the colour you could end up with not so nice results and an important job interview coming.
I know this is not what you wanted and maybe some other ladies will chime in but as someone with a head almost full of grays I do understand your dilemma.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Ipanema

I think I'm going to dye my hair black, and if the roots start to show in the front, maybe use black mascara on them or something. I'm looking forward to finally putting the wigs away.

I bought the Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in black. I hope it works.

nissi

Ipanema, we are so here! <> I was just talking to BlackHairDiva about this!

I have to admit, i am a little disenchanted with my hair now. It grows fast, but now my joy is robbed because I have to come to grips with fast growing gray! So it is seriously killing my joy about growing long black hair. Then I think I want to work this gray into highlights. But then I think I may as well go black. Then I want to strip all this color off and completely go gray at 41! Then I think not! LOL! It's a mess! Then I tried Beautiful Advanced Gray solution in Black and the gray hair ended up red! Sheer frustration.

And I am suspicious of conventional permanent hair dyes (having seen people end up in the hospital using them) and have been frustrated with the less than complete coverage of henna. Add to that, my last perm was 7.15.10, and you can only IMAGINE what my head looks like! :lol:

So as you can see, I just don't care right now! So keep me posted, this post actually means something to me! :lol!

Mrs. Verde

I have had pretty good success covering my grays with henna and indigo. As others stated, it didn't cover the color completely. Also does not last long. However, you can do henna/indigo a lot more often than chemical dyes.

Last edited:

Ipanema

*Update!*

I dyed my hair with the black dye, and it looked terrible! Just awful. It was too black. A flat, chalky-looking black. And a lot of the gray didn't change color all, so I was left with some black & white looking :censored:. Plus my hair is mostly 4b, and it straightened my hair a little, so I had all of these straight hairs sticking up everywhere.

So I went into the kitchen to experiment. I mixed instant coffee with paprika, made a paste, and put it on my hair to warm up the color a bit. I left it on for a few hours, but that didn't do much for the color. The concoction actually seemed to condition the hair and made the grays stand out and shine like glass. :perplexed

So now I don't know. I wanted to ditch the wigs, but I'm left with a fuzzy twa with gray in it. I feel like giving up. I'm trying to be "That Girl" and my hair looks like a granny. :ohwell:

Ipanema

Not sure if anyone cares :lol:, but I'm just posting for reference. I think the color was pretty damaging. It's taken almost of week of conditioner washing every day for it to even start to look moisturized, and the color is fading with each wash. And the coffee mixture actually worked a little (but I wouldn't do it again). It tinted the hair a reddish-brown, but the gray is coming back. Now I want the gray to come back so my hair can be healthy again. I don't want to get addicted to buying box kits, and I refuse to wear a wig during hot weather again, so I'm just going to let my hair be gray. Maybe.

Bajanmum

I'm sorry things haven't turned out as well as you expected. :bighug:

I'm sure everyone who answered previously do care. They might not have seen your post...There's a big thread turnover on this site.

I hadn't seen this thread before now, but I had a home colouring disaster, and I don't recommend DIY to anyone.

If you do decide to colour again don't do it before an important event. Maybe you can visit a stylist/colourist to have it corrected before your interviews.

I know it's no comfort now, but in a few months when it's grown out or corrected, you'll look back and laugh...hopefully!

AtlantaJJ

I hope your hair is doing better. I feel your pain about the grays, I have a bunch of them sprouting in my hairline like little weeds. I think I'm going to start using henna and indigo, at least it's not damaging like the box colors.

Your hair most likely needs moisture and a few protein treatments to get it back into balance.

BostonMaria

Sorry the color didn't take. I was afraid that would happen. Maybe you should wait a few weeks and go to a salon to fix the color.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Ipanema

My hair is almost back to the color it was before. I'm surprised how fast it's washing out--total waste of time & energy putting in that color.

crlsweetie912 your grays look like they're interspersed nicely throughout. The entire top of my head is white. If my hair was long & straight and I parted it down the middle, it would just look like all of my hair is white. It looks weird on a twa, so I'm going to grow it out, starting in a couple months after I've shaved off this colored hair.

Maybe I'll get some manic panic & dye it pink. I won't have to bleach it first... Ugh! I'm having a mid-hair crisis :wallbash: I'm too young for this! :lol:

crlsweetie912

My hair is almost back to the color it was before. I'm surprised how fast it's washing out--total waste of time & energy putting in that color.

@crlsweetie912 your grays look like they're interspersed nicely throughout. The entire top of my head is white. If my hair was long & straight and I parted it down the middle, it would just look like all of my hair is white. It looks weird on a twa, so I'm going to grow it out, starting in a couple months after I've shaved off this colored hair.

Maybe I'll get some manic panic & dye it pink. I won't have to bleach it first... Ugh! I'm having a mid-hair crisis :wallbash: I'm too young for this! :lol:

:nono:
It's almost 50% gray in the middle/back. And that streak in the front! And my natural hair color was a dirty brown color that always looks muddy. But I did color it this weekend and it was an AMAZING success! I used the ion brand demi permanent color from Sally's and it covered PERFECTLY! My hair wasn't hard, it didn't stain my skin, and it looks really natural. I love it! I would highly recommend it. And it's on sale this month!

BlackMasterPiece

My mom is grey and she uses natural instincts semi-permanent and I just LOVE how vibrant color shows up in her hair! Its this gorgeous auburn tone with highlights and lo-lites. It actually makes me excited for when I go grey because then I can have damage free fun with coloring my hair!

OP if I was you I would do either henna or Bigen, I heard Bigen really pigments hair beautifully. I would lean more towards the henna so I could color and condition at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF