Hip Length 2011!! Let's do this!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
yeah, I have hairnorexia too. Just felt frustrated going through that last detangling session after being hair lazy over the past week or so. I was just imagining how crazy it would be if hl hair needed that kind of detangling.

thoroughly detangled and put my hair in 2-strand twists. I feel better now. :yep:

Lucia

yeah, I have hairnorexia too. Just felt frustrated going through that last detangling session after being hair lazy over the past week or so. I was just imagining how crazy it would be if hl hair needed that kind of detangling.

thoroughly detangled and put my hair in 2-strand twists. I feel better now. :yep:

What did you do to retain all that length in your siggy pics isn't that like 9 months?

LaFemmeNaturelle

Glad you're feeling better but what is your detangling method? I'll probably be able to help because I've had to switch it up about 5 times this year as my ng grew but I was always successful at finding new techniques. I only detangle 1-2 times a month.

And to answer your question, when my hair is straight, it doesn't feel like enough hair AT ALL. But when I'm in a braidout or something (anything not straight), it is very overwhelming and I wonder if all natural HL hair will be too much. I certainly hope not!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Glad you're feeling better but what is your detangling method? I'll probably be able to help because I've had to switch it up about 5 times this year as my ng grew but I was always successful at finding new techniques. I only detangle 1-2 times a month.

And to answer your question, when my hair is straight, it doesn't feel like enough hair AT ALL. But when I'm in a braidout or something (anything not straight), it is very overwhelming and I wonder if all natural HL hair will be too much. I certainly hope not!

Normally, detangling with lots of conditioner in the shower works well. Then, getting into my stretch, I tried soaking in oil overnight and detangled with oily hair, which worked, as you suggested, but not without effort. But this last time was after just being flat out hair lazy and really needing to detangle. I could feel matted knots forming in my ng and would put it off because I didn't want to have to deal. Needless to say, those same knots were waiting on me so I tried some of the products some naturals are saying works to help with detangling (figuring my ng is natural). Tried adding Kinky Curly Knot Today, oils and everthing else I could think of. Oh, I got it done but, it wasn't easy and my arms were tired like a mug. It's that sort of session that makes me wonder about going natural and long. :blush: Girl, I'm not afraid to say I know my limitations. I gotta crawl before I walk, let alone run. :lol: And, I worry that the extra effort to detangle is going to mess with my retention rate. Me no likey the thought. :nono:

^^^Ahh to one day have that problem!!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen: I hear you girl.

Lucia

Njoy youve inspired me to keep up w my PS ing I wore it down last week but this week no more cute stuff it's back up 24/7 so I can reach full HL this year I'm going hard. :lol:

Last edited:

wyldcurlz

You sound like you have a regimen at least the Basics
There's a WL regimen thread I has almost everyone who's made WL except the new WLs who haven't posted yet.

haha - the very, teeny, minute basics. wish i "understood" my hair more. hopefully i'll figure out how to treat it better - i see all these quick growing/retaining LHCFers and wonder what i'm doing wrong.

LaFemmeNaturelle

OT but is anyone else having trouble getting to the main hair forum page? I can't go to anything on the site unless I google a specific thread or forum. Like, I googled hiplength 2011 and I've been googling entertainment thread because I can't get to the main pages. Anyone else having this problem?

Lovelylife

Well I've decided to drop out of this challenge and just try for waistlength. I discovered last week that my hair grows really slow. I want to end my growing journey next December and if I don't make hip length I'll be tempted to try another year. Good luck everyone. I'll be checking in periodically.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Yeah, I don't know why Nikko chooses the weekends to bring the site down for maintenance. I ran into maintenance messages most of yesterday. I'm thinking early morning during the week would be better but, hey, that's jmo.

Janet'

We're back up and running!!!! December 5th...So, we're posting starting pics Jan 1st, right?

Lucia

haha - the very, teeny, minute basics. wish i "understood" my hair more. hopefully i'll figure out how to treat it better - i see all these quick growing/retaining LHCFers and wonder what i'm doing wrong.

Most people don't have trouble growing their hair it's retaining the length they gain. Really pay attention to everything little thing you do every little detail, those that work keep them, if it makes your hair feel terrible or knot up try something else or check your combs, brushes, if their seamless or hair safe and what technique you using to co wash and detangle.

Are you manipulating too much or not enough some of us need to detangle every couple of days or our hair becomes a matted mess. The important thing is to stick to what works and ditch what doesn't work. If the DC you were doing gave you slip then keep doing that, it's most likely giving your hair some moisture. Moisturized hair=healthy hair=longer hair.

I think you're on the right track maybe to reach your goal you might have to wear more PS styles. with your ends tucked in, are you sealing with a hair shaft penetrating oil like EVOO extra virgin olive oil, EVCO coconut oil, or ceramides oil, for strength wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil. How about your protein moisture balance? Sometimes you need light protein or heavy protein, or no protein.

Also if you don't want to become a PJ you can have 1 or 2 products that work for you to do everything, I only use 1 conditioner for everything my CW, DC, and Leave in, then I seal with EVCO, or EVOO/WGO combo and a butter in the winter months. I already tested out enough products to have alternates to rotate if my #1 fav isn't available. I'm just pointing at things you should zero in on because those are the areas that usually trip people up on the LHJ, and bottom line you choose what's best for you.

Here's a link to the WL regimen thread and some other links. HTH

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...1851-waistlength-beyond-–-names-regimens.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/12248368-post130.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ussion/507279-silk-amino-acids-ceramides.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...discussion/268981-oils-contain-ceramides.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...al-gals-what-type-moisturizer-do-you-use.html

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Excellent post!

Most people don't have trouble growing their hair it's retaining the length they gain. Really pay attention to everything little thing you do every little detail, those that work keep them, if it makes your hair feel terrible or knot up try something else or check your combs, brushes, if their seamless or hair safe and what technique you using to co wash and detangle.

Are you manipulating too much or not enough some of us need to detangle every couple of days or our hair becomes a matted mess. The important thing is to stick to what works and ditch what doesn't work. If the DC you were doing gave you slip then keep doing that, it's most likely giving your hair some moisture. Moisturized hair=healthy hair=longer hair.

I think you're on the right track maybe to reach your goal you might have to wear more PS styles. with your ends tucked in, are you sealing with a hair shaft penetrating oil like How about your protein moisture balance? Sometimes you need light protein or heavy protein, or no protein, EVOO extra virgin olive oil, EVCO coconut oil, or ceramides oil, for strength wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil.

Also if you don't want to become a PJ you can have 1 or 2 products that work for you to do everything, I only use 1 conditioner for everything ( I already tested out enough products to have alternates to rotate if my #1 fav isn't available) my CW, DC, and Leave in, then I seal with EVCO, or EVOO/WGO combo and a butter in the winter months. I'm just pointing at things you should zero in on because those are the areas that usually trip people up on the LHJ, and bottom line you choose what's best for you.

–-names-regimens.html

[url] [url] [url]

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I'm done with blow drying. It's just air drying, heavy moisturising and protein treatments from now.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Have I mentioned that I've been keeping my hair in 2-strand twists for the past few days. I LOVE it! It allows me to control my ng (which looks great in twists compared to my skimpy relaxed ends, btw) and my hair stays so moisturized. I cowashed last night, still in twists, mostly focusing on cleasing my scalp with a little amla shampoo. I was a little lazy afterwards and just sprayed on some moisturizer and sprayed oils after that and freshened up some of the loosened twists. The twists style is what's allowing me to continue my stretch. Otherwise, I would've texlaxed a couple days ago.

I think I'm going to do a trim tomorrow night. My ends don't look like they need it (at least from what I can see) but, I came into this year with freshly cut ends and I think I'll go out the same way. I've decided not to relax so, I need something else to look forward to. So, tomorrow I will wash, trim, henna and DC before putting my hair back into twists. Um...sounds like a lot so, those are my intentions but, we'll see. I've been fairly hair lazy lately. Just keeping it real. :look:

I must say tho, getting out of the shower yesterday, the twists were hanging so long. I usually try not to eyeball my length when I get out of the shower so I was pleasantly surprised to see that even twisted, it looks long to me. I have to let the reality of my longer length to really sink in if I think I'm going to continue on the hl. Because, unless I see it or envision it, my hair anorexia hits hard and I still feel waaaay shorter than I am. I can't WAIT to see it all flat ironed straight. I think I may have to to let it really sink in. :drunk:

wyldcurlz

I think you're on the right track maybe to reach your goal you might have to wear more PS styles. with your ends tucked in, are you sealing with a hair shaft penetrating oil like EVOO extra virgin olive oil, EVCO coconut oil, or ceramides oil, for strength wheat germ oil, hemp seed oil. How about your protein moisture balance? Sometimes you need light protein or heavy protein, or no protein.

Also if you don't want to become a PJ you can have 1 or 2 products that work for you to do everything, I only use 1 conditioner for everything my CW, DC, and Leave in, then I seal with EVCO, or EVOO/WGO combo and a butter in the winter months. I already tested out enough products to have alternates to rotate if my #1 fav isn't available. I'm just pointing at things you should zero in on because those are the areas that usually trip people up on the LHJ, and bottom line you choose what's best for you.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...1851-waistlength-beyond-–-names-regimens.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/12248368-post130.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ussion/507279-silk-amino-acids-ceramides.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...discussion/268981-oils-contain-ceramides.html

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...al-gals-what-type-moisturizer-do-you-use.html

Oh my gosh, Lucia! Have i told you lately that i love you?? WHAT AN EXCELLENT POST! so informative! Thank you so much! It gave me so much to think about and so many options all encapsulated in one post. YOU'RE AWESOME!! and i thank you so very very much. When the work week slows down a little more i'm going to reference back to this and read thru the links you posted.

I know my protein/moisture balance is off. And I don't moisturize/seal often enough - not sure how much I should do it. And, well....so much more. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for that post!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
In the middle of a modified carmel treatment. Will also trim today. Putting the henna on hold. Maybe within the next few days. Meanwhile, trying to get some work done on my laptop. (busted! I'm supposed to be working, :rolleyes:) *yawn* Tell you the truth, I could really use a nap. If I thought I could do so without messing up my pillow, I would. :look: This treatment is so messy. Ah well...

HoneyA

I'm leaving the blow dryer alone for now also... last time I did it I had way too much breakage...

The reason I started blow drying was because my hair takes way too long to dry on its own and I'm always washing my hair a few hours before I am scheduled to go out. It always happens that way now so I get impatient with the drying but it's not worth it. I think I'm going on a personal no heat challenge and I'm considering not relaxing until December next year. I'm dreaming of the 6+ inches of hair I'll have and increased thickness:drunk:. I can so see hip length!

HoneyA

Janet
go hard w the moisture oils and PS so u can retain max length

I am convinced this is all there is to it. When I was PSing 100% of the time and keeping my hair moist ALL the time at the beginning of my journey, my hair grew like weeds and retained every inch. Then I fell in love with the length and wearing it out and I swear I stopped retaining as quickly. For some moisture+PS = long lengths. But other ladies can go without PSing and they still retain all their growth.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy...How did the caramel treatment turn out?

VERY nice and well moisturized. I let my hair airdry naked (that always sounds funny to say :blush:) so that I could dust with my split ender. And, girl, my hair was so soft. I've never really appreciated how moisturizing the carmel treatment is because I usually start adding products while it's still wet. Oh, and my ng was very manageable too. I added yogurt to loosen the ng, along with coconut cream.

I think I'll henna this weekend with chamomile tea and honey. :lick:

LaFemmeNaturelle

NJoy, how much do you pay for your henna? I'm trying to figure out if I want to start doing monthly henna treatments but of course I'm a cheapo so I don't want to pay too much. Currently, all of my hair products are less than 5 dollars (except Aubrey) and they last for months on end.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
NJoy, how much do you pay for your henna? I'm trying to figure out if I want to start doing monthly henna treatments but of course I'm a cheapo so I don't want to pay too much. Currently, all of my hair products are less than 5 dollars (except Aubrey) and they last for months on end.

Tooooo much when I was ordering online. But, I found a local International Mart that sells henna. Usually if you buy it locally, it's really cheap. Around two bucks a 100g pack.

You can find it online around six to twelve bucks a pack plus shipping (not quoting the whole Net. Just what I've seen). I'd check to see if you have an indian or international store that sells henna locally if you're trying to stay on the low low. (and what i've seen is the same as what's being sold online)

LaFemmeNaturelle

Tooooo much when I was ordering online. But, I found a local International Mart that sells henna. Usually if you buy it locally, it's really cheap. Around two bucks a 100g pack.

You can find it online around six to twelve bucks a pack plus shipping (not quoting the whole Net. Just what I've seen). I'd check to see if you have an indian or international store that sells henna locally if you're trying to stay on the low low. (and what i've seen is the same as what's being sold online)

There's an indian grocery store down the street but I haven't been in because I didn't want to be a pj lol I won't start doing this until I'm natural so I don't need to spend any money now. How many packs do you use at once?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
There's an indian grocery store down the street but I haven't been in because I didn't want to be a pj lol I won't start doing this until I'm natural so I don't need to spend any money now. How many packs do you use at once?

I mixed up 3 packs the first time. I think they overestimate to get you to buy more. I froze the leftovers for the next application. I've been using 1 pack since.