Her 4b is not MY 4b ....hair type

africa

4z checking in. Yeah, that's right. 4z. This should be our new catagory on the real.

You know you're a 4z when:
  • You beg your hair to pleazzzzzzze cooperate if only for a minute!
  • You hear "snap, crackle, pop" when you try to run a comb through that new growth :lachen:
  • You flatiron your NG and workout, and it's like you never flatironed at all
  • There is no such thing as a wash n' go and never will be such a thing
  • There also isn't a such thing as laying down those roots with shea butter and a scarf and getting waves :look:
  • If you stretch for longer than 8 weeks, it brings on clinical depression :nono:. You get depressed because there just ain't no way in h*ll that your stylist (if you use one) will be able to sort through all of those naps without "snap, crackle, pop" :ohwell:; and if you self relax, at least one area is guaranteed to come out underprocessed.
  • You can go swimming and the middle of your hair will still be DRY :lachen:(just kidding on this one; D.L. Hugheley mentioned this in one of his stand-ups)
Feel free to add to the list.

Okay...This thread brought me out of lurkdom and has me rolling on the floor laughing. I'm a fellow 4zzzz and I FEEEELLL all of you.

Lol at the bolded... You can wash and go, but if your hair is over 4 inches it will be matted and dreaded for days no matter what product you use! Lol :lachen:

envybeauty

Okay...This thread brought me out of lurkdom and has me rolling on the floor laughing. I'm a fellow 4zzzz and I FEEEELLL all of you.

Lol at the bolded... You can wash and go, but if your hair is over 4 inches it will be matted and dreaded for days no matter what product you use! Lol :lachen:

Welcome. :grin:

We need more 4bs on here telling it like it is.....

Katt73

Ha ha! :lachen:

You know you're 4b when you cornrow your afro and folks keep asking you, "Did you get extensions?". You wanna just slap 'em because you realize that they have no idea what we deal with with shrinkage.

loved

U know u're 4z when:

u're a LHCF newbie & really believe that you can do an 18 week stretch & when you take the cornrows out from your weave YOUR NG ACTUALLY SPEAKS 2 U & ASKS . . . DID U FORGET HOW I ROLL???

So you have a TWA w/ some relaxed strands sprouting in the air from it & u cancel all social engagements, until your scalp calms down enough 4 a relaxer. . .

In the interim, there is absolutely nothing u can do w/ the beast u created by not respecting that u ain't getting no waves w/ a water bottle and a scarf, so u run & buy a wig hoping that this will get u through a few days of work

Then u spend the whole day pulling the wig down as it rises like yeast above the bush underneath.

That my friends is a day in the life of a 4zzzzzzzzer & that day is TODAY.

glamazon386

U know u're 4z when:

u're a LHCF newbie & really believe that you can do an 18 week stretch & when you take the cornrows out from your weave YOUR NG ACTUALLY SPEAKS 2 U & ASKS . . . DID U FORGET HOW I ROLL???

So you have a TWA w/ some relaxed strands sprouting in the air from it & u cancel all social engagements, until your scalp calms down enough 4 a relaxer. . .

In the interim, there is absolutely nothing u can do w/ the beast u created by not respecting that u ain't getting no waves w/ a water bottle and a scarf, so u run & buy a wig hoping that this will get u through a few days of work

Then u spend the whole day pulling the wig down as it rises like yeast above the bush underneath.

:rofl: @ this whole post....

Twisties

U know u're 4z when:

tears are streaming down my face:lachen:

especially 'bout that wig. girl, one time the 'fro up under my wig was so thick that the wig was UP in the air on my head basically and i had the audacity to clip it down with hair pins and -- i went to work looking like a cone head :spinning:and didn't care either:grin:.

ETA: i had to put the wig on in the first place because i tried to do a wash and go (as someone said - iturned out to be wash and no) and that was not working out that morning. so i grabbed my handing dandy wig and forced on top of the bush:lachen:. oh sweet jesus, mercy - i have somany funny stories.

Last edited:

Ms Kraft

U know u're 4z when:

I
n the interim, there is absolutely nothing u can do w/ the beast u created by not respecting that u ain't getting no waves w/ a water bottle and a scarf, so u run & buy a wig hoping that this will get u through a few days of work

Okay, Loved!! You got me!

localhost

U know u're 4z when:

:ohsnap: :lachen::lachen::lachen:That's real talk right there. I'm to the point if ONE more person studies my hairline while talking to me, I'm going to snap!

localhost

Can I get a A to the Men!

When you blow dry, press, flat iron and use curling irons ALL on the highest setting because otherwise you will not get it straight.

When you look in the back to see how much growth you gained and all you see is a big ole mess of cotton because it does not lay down when it is nappy.

Putting your fingers through your naps it is like putting your fingers through a ball a loose yarn!:lachen:If you can get them through there.

When you go up to a stylist and show her your naps and she says to you Oh' Lawd look at this chile's hair!:blush:

You are right ladies this hair type can build some serious character because it does not act like any other hair on earth.

I usually call my hair type 4bcdefgh because I don't believe Andre's typing system is inclusive enough.:grin:

I've burned my forehead and ears so many times using tools from hell, it's not even funny. And my hair still wasn't completely straight :nono:

localhost

:lachen:at this list. I am not relaxed, but this thread is cracking me up.

How about pressing your entire head, rolling up with 50-11 (HARD rollers) and going to bed and THINKING you will have a nice roller set in the am. You wake up to a complete afro puff as if you never applied ANY heat to straighten it:spinning:. I did this and my hair was like

":look: Uhm, What you trying to do":look:?

:afro: YESSS! Talk about going into panic mode.

nycutiepie

I foolishly try to stretch (5 mos+) but this post has inspired me so much that I am coming out of denial and will no longer fight the jungle and follow the advice of those that I thought were 4zs and really are not.

I share all of your pain and I have a trick for the wig wearers if anyone is interested. I wear half-wigs because in addition to major naps, I have a thin bedebee hairline and there is no way that I can look decent without covering this stuff up. In order to prevent the "rising wig/yeast like syndrome" previously alluded to, I use a headband that has an elastic-like band in the back and I anchor the wig under the elastic so it holds it in place. I also use a scarf and tie the scarf over the wig at the nape. Hope this helps somebody and thanks again to the OP for letting me know that I am not alone!

Twisties

:afro: YESSS! Talk about going into panic mode.

Girl, yes! During my disaster days, I would say forget it and wear a puff:grin:. I would get so many compliments on the puff too. All this stuff we talking 'bout is how I became TWISTIES. Two-strand twists saved my hair:yep:.

This thread has been comic relief --- not even sure if the OP intended that, but it's all good:yep:.

Twisties

I foolishly try to stretch (5 mos+) but this post has inspired me so much that I am coming out of denial and will no longer fight the jungle and follow the advice of those that I thought were 4zs and really are not.

I share all of your pain and I have a trick for the wig wearers if anyone is interested. I wear half-wigs because in addition to major naps, I have a thin bedebee hairline and there is no way that I can look decent without covering this stuff up. In order to prevent the "rising wig/yeast like syndrome" previously alluded to, I use a headband that has an elastic-like band in the back and I anchor the wig under the elastic so it holds it in place. I also use a scarf and tie the scarf over the wig at the nape. Hope this helps somebody and thanks again to the OP for letting me know that I am not alone!

We all understand:yep: This is good tip too.

Another one for flattening the bush under a half wig is to put in some basic cornrows going straight back (about 6-10 depending on the amount of hair you have), while leaviing a very thin part out at the front that you can press and then smooth down with gel. I do this when I know I am going be wearing my wigs. I think Tyra Banks has done this when wearing her lace fronts too.

harrison

4b signing in. Can we say BLACK COTTON!!!!!!!!! :lachen:Please see siggy and avatar for review.

That is exactly what my hair looks like. When anyone tells me their regimen and I know there hair type is different I am ALWAYS prepared to change the amount of product.

When I had a relaxer I would use ALL of the product and kept it in as long as possible in order to get in bone straight. My hair would promptly pay me back by breaking off just as quickly.

It holds water, heat (when I did use it) and takes forever to rinse out. Remember can'tcha don'tcha knots, well I am the poster chile. :yep: We won't even discuss SHRINKAGE!!!!!:ohwell: (see siggy below)

I know exactly what you are saying, I have had to really learn to accept this as the hair I was born with because it will take you to the frustration zone, quick fast and in a hurry.

Now on the other hand I have never had a problem with my hair being thin, stringy or laying flat to my head. It has always been thick, full and a lot of it. It grows out not down. Don't know if that will ever change but looking forward to seeing if it does or NOT! :lachen:

I guess there are pros and cons to every hair texture!:grin:

Here is a lady that has 4B textured hair and I just love it. When my hair grows up I hope it is like hers one day.

http://public.fotki.com/Kemi21/hair/june-2007/

MSCOCO.. I am in your boat too...
I have learned so much about my hair over the last year. Since I have actively tried to maintain it without chemicals, locs, or braids. All were quick fixes to dealing with thick course hair. At least for me it was.

When my hair was relaxed bone straight it was still thick. People always thought it was a weave or wig or something.

But now I have found some products and methods to help me maintain it naturally!!!

It definitely takes time and patience.

harrison

4z checking in. Yeah, that's right. 4z. This should be our new catagory on the real.

You know you're a 4z when:
  • You beg your hair to pleazzzzzzze cooperate if only for a minute!
  • You hear "snap, crackle, pop" when you try to run a comb through that new growth :lachen:
  • You flatiron your NG and workout, and it's like you never flatironed at all
  • There is no such thing as a wash n' go and never will be such a thing
  • There also isn't a such thing as laying down those roots with shea butter and a scarf and getting waves :look:
  • If you stretch for longer than 8 weeks, it brings on clinical depression :nono:. You get depressed because there just ain't no way in h*ll that your stylist (if you use one) will be able to sort through all of those naps without "snap, crackle, pop" :ohwell:; and if you self relax, at least one area is guaranteed to come out underprocessed.
  • You can go swimming and the middle of your hair will still be DRY :lachen:(just kidding on this one; D.L. Hugheley mentioned this in one of his stand-ups)
Feel free to add to the list.

:lachen:These are funny...
I do wash n go anyway.. and puff puff away!!!

SleepyJean

Ok.

So I see plenty of sistas on here saying that they are 4b. In my mind, IMO, 4b hair is very coarse hair. To ME, coarse hair does not have a defined curl or wave pattern. TO ME, 4b hair is very cottony like in that you cannot deterimine any kind of pattern to it when looking at how the hairs loop around. It is not like small pen springs or loose roller waves. AT LEAST MY 4B HAIR DOES NOT! :nono:

Am I wrong? :rolleyes:

I am asking because I have a patch of 4b in the back of my head that makes it hella hard to stretch. All the CW and pooing, oooing and ahhing over it will not allow me to get a comb through it come 8 weeks without MAJOR breakage. That section does not wave up. It does not curl up. Nada. It is HELLA DRY and those bad boys are THE driest hairs on my entire body especially as I stretch. :wallbash:

I am *venting* because several sistas on here will say that they are 4b. Cool. :yep: I am then reading all their advice about what products to use when stretching that never work for me, and how to best comb through, and how to stretch, yada, yada.

Fast forward. :yawn:

Eight months later when they decide to BC because they had the best time stretching with no breakage and then you see their natural hair.:spinning:

All nicely coiled and wavy, etc. All the while, I'm thinking...no she didn't! :sad: This chick had me thinking I could strecth 50+ weeks just by using a dime size amount of conditioner every two weeks and her hair is NATURALLY curly (and not coarse!). :wallbash:

So....am I beyond 4b then? Who on here is a TRUE 4b hair type if I am right? Does anyone understand what I am trying to say?!?!??!

Finally, someone who understand what I am saying. Some people are just lying. They have no idea with 4B hair really is. My hair has NO CURL DEFINITION WHAT SO EVER! I am 4b.

sunshinelady

The few times that I have tried to flat iron/press my hair, I go outside on a beautiful 0% humidity day and my hair slowly starts to stand up. I end up looking like some crazy banshee!

harrison

U know u're 4z when:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:THAT'S WHY I'VE STOPPED WEARING MY ONE WIG... IT KEPT RISING TO THE TOP!!! GIVING ME A CONE HEAD!!!!!

secretdiamond

Honestly, it looks more like 3c/4a

Agreed. :yep:

I'm so glad this thread was started! :lol: I've noticed the same thing! There are hair idols on here who say they are 4b, but then, I'll look at their albums and be like, no wonder they can stretch for 5 years & I can't! I'm alllll 4b and I've figured my hair out. The dreads and breakage were no longer working for me so I stopped. My hair and I are happy together again. lol....

nativequeen

Yeah baby!:yep: This is what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure I'm a 4a, but I definitely have some of this exact 4b sprinkled in there. My 4b patches don't even respond to product.:nono: It doesn't even matter what or how much I apply, the 4b just:mwahahafire:.

OP, I sure am glad you posted this. I was just nodding and laughing the whole time because I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I truly believe some women are just down right confused about their hair type.:spinning:

Ditto to the bolded. it takes one to know one:yep::grin:

envybeauty

Gurl, *I* needed to know I was not alone..... thanks for chiming in!:grin: