Her 4b is not MY 4b ....hair type

janeemat

Girl I feel ya! I've wondered the same thing. My hair would look just like the pic Trimbride posted if I did not relax. I am 4b all the way and have the beady beads to show it. My hair is just thinner.

scorpian

I see it.......4b...........squinting really hard though..... :spinning:

My hair is like Scorpian's (?) daughter's hair (I hope she doesn't mind). My natural hair looks just like her daughter's hair in her siggy. My pics growing up looked like that. To me, there is no confusion as to 4b hair. I see pics of other people's hair on here and I'm like .....fine or thick...that is EXACTLY how my 4b hair looks too....

Of course I don't mind :grin:

Determined22

Don't get me wrong....

Most Black people have a mixture of 4b, 4a, 3 whatever on their heads. I know I do...but that 4b section that is the entire back of my big ole head..... there is no confusion as to what it is....and I am reminded of it everytime I try to go beyond 8 weeks and have major breakage NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I'm also thinking if I can barely stretch NOW, then how would I ever transition without a BC...:rolleyes:

The entire back of my head is 4b as well, or as I affectionally call it, "back to Africa"....If I were to cut off all my relaxed hair, I'd have a very cute tight 'fro. I said to hell with it and stretching and just got some braids...and I'm thinking about a BC once I get out of the braids...

Whisper

To my understanding, your idea of 4b is correct. 4b hair does not curl. However, we have to remember that there is variety within each hair type too. All 4a's don't look like my hair, but my hair is still 4a with some 3c. I don't have any 4b hair at all. All people's thickness and density play a factor too. My hair is fine. If it was thicker, I'm sure it would look different.

Sometimes when people have other types mixed in, it will make their hair look different. Like people with both 4a and 4b. The 4a pieces being mixed in can make the hair look different.

And also, for people who are relaxed and stretching, their relaxed hair may be weighing down the natural hair so their pattern looks looser.

good point!

nycutiepie

Girl I feel ya! I've wondered the same thing. My hair would look just like the pic Trimbride posted if I did not relax. I am 4b all the way and have the beady beads to show it. My hair is just thinner.

We must be hair twins. I am JUST like that picture except thinner.

OP - This is a great post and thanks for starting it!!

*Happily Me*

I am definitely 4b with a little 4a thrown in (it's time for me to review that double chin tightener thread :lol:)

itismehmmkay

I see it.......4b...........squinting really hard though..... :spinning:

My hair is like Scorpian's (?) daughter's hair (I hope she doesn't mind). My natural hair looks just like her daughter's hair in her siggy. My pics growing up looked like that. To me, there is no confusion as to 4b hair. I see pics of other people's hair on here and I'm like .....fine or thick...that is EXACTLY how my 4b hair looks too....

:lachen:

:lol: The whole thread is too much.

Now, my strands do make an "S" curl, but I still consider myself 4b :look:

I think there is a 4a/b category that includes those that are in between. :yep:

envybeauty

I am definitely 4b with a little 4a thrown in (it's time for me to review that double chin tightener thread :lol:)

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk................now I have hope! I need to stalk your posts to find your routine and to see if you stretch long (past 8 weeks or not). We are so >>>>here<<<<<<< on being 4b.

4b sistas united...i feel the love!:grin:

mscocoface

4b signing in. Can we say BLACK COTTON!!!!!!!!! :lachen:Please see siggy and avatar for review.

That is exactly what my hair looks like. When anyone tells me their regimen and I know there hair type is different I am ALWAYS prepared to change the amount of product.

When I had a relaxer I would use ALL of the product and kept it in as long as possible in order to get in bone straight. My hair would promptly pay me back by breaking off just as quickly.

It holds water, heat (when I did use it) and takes forever to rinse out. Remember can'tcha don'tcha knots, well I am the poster chile. :yep: We won't even discuss SHRINKAGE!!!!!:ohwell: (see siggy below)

I know exactly what you are saying, I have had to really learn to accept this as the hair I was born with because it will take you to the frustration zone, quick fast and in a hurry.

Now on the other hand I have never had a problem with my hair being thin, stringy or laying flat to my head. It has always been thick, full and a lot of it. It grows out not down. Don't know if that will ever change but looking forward to seeing if it does or NOT! :lachen:

I guess there are pros and cons to every hair texture!:grin:

Here is a lady that has 4B textured hair and I just love it. When my hair grows up I hope it is like hers one day.

http://public.fotki.com/Kemi21/hair/june-2007/

*Happily Me*

Okkkkkkkkkkkkk................now I have hope! I need to stalk your posts to find your routine and to see if you stretch long (past 8 weeks or not). We are so >>>>here<<<<<<< on being 4b.

4b sistas united...i feel the love!:grin:

i'm trying to stretch past 8 weeks but it's getting ridiculously harder. My hair tangles soooo easily and if I don't comb it EVERDAY, it starts to dread. I had to cut a knot out of my hair a few days ago :(

In the beginning, i would stretch for up to 13 weeks but i can't do that anymore. My hair in this pic is around 3 1/2 weeks post. My texlaxed hair texture is very similar to straight up natural hair.

envybeauty

Okkkk....I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear other 4b sistas chiming in!:grin:

4b is not easy to deal with but it is what it is. With everyone posting pics of how THEIR 4b hair makes nice waves and curls, etc. I'm like..I wish my 4b hair would....shoot......

I love my hair but it is not like OTHER 4bs showing up in this piece... :look:

cocoberry10

i'm trying to stretch past 8 weeks but it's getting ridiculously harder. My hair tangles soooo easily and if I don't comb it EVERDAY, it starts to dread. I had to cut a knot out of my hair a few days ago :(

In the beginning, i would stretch for up to 13 weeks but i can't do that anymore. My hair in this pic is around 3 1/2 weeks post. My texlaxed hair texture is very similar to straight up natural hair.

I thought you had natural hair, but your hair looks good. I know what you mean about the combing. My hair always tangles and knots w/o combing!

hothair

The hair typing and skin coloring is not an exact science. Just like folks have difference opinions on skin color the same is true on hair typing. I got in the habit of saying 4a/4b because I was told that's how my hair looked. I believe I am more of a 4a. My hair coils, curls up into a S without product.

I learned to do what is best for me. I take a little advice here and there but have found a really good routine for me.

:yep: I just say 4a/b cause although my hair is coily (not curly:lachen:) its dry and coarse, ok not anymore but when I started it was, and the ladies saying 4a seemed to have some silky hair:look: I can hardly believe this new soft hair is mine, the more protein (my hair loves protein like an addict on crack) and moisture treatments i do the coilier my hair is getting, now I don't even have to wet it to see coils:perplexed I'm still going to texlax though I want some silky rollersets:grin:

caligirl

My hair (NG) at the front does not go all wavy even with all the S-curl in the world and after tying my head so tight with a satin scarf that it cuts off circulation.

lol, lol! ditto to everything you said. i give up! my hair is naturally nappy.

Last edited:

envybeauty

lol, lol! ditto to everything you said. i give up! my hair is naturally nappy.

Nothing wrong with that! Claim it!

In one thread (long, long ago) a sista posted about how coarse and nappy her hair was and how she hated to deal with the tangles, dryness, etc. Well, don't you know...another sista....jumped on her. Why she gotta use such demeaning terms to describe OUR hair, and that it is not THAT bad to deal with, etc.

I was huffing and puffing! The opined sista has CURLY hair (not a nappy knot anywhere in the mix) that has very well defined and soft curls that on a roller set, her strands would dry straight. The nerve. I was like....she doesn't understand what it takes to deal with 4b hair. Let the sista vent. 4b hair takes work!

meaganita

Yeah baby!:yep: This is what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure I'm a 4a, but I definitely have some of this exact 4b sprinkled in there. My 4b patches don't even respond to product.:nono: It doesn't even matter what or how much I apply, the 4b just:mwahahafire:.

OP, I sure am glad you posted this. I was just nodding and laughing the whole time because I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I truly believe some women are just down right confused about their hair type.:spinning:

Katt73

Nothing wrong with that! Claim it!

In one thread (long, long ago) a sista posted about how coarse and nappy her hair was and how she hated to deal with the tangles, dryness, etc. Well, don't you know...another sista....jumped on her. Why she gotta use such demeaning terms to describe OUR hair, and that it is not THAT bad to deal with, etc.

I was huffing and puffing! The opined sista has CURLY hair (not a nappy knot anywhere in the mix) that has very well defined and soft curls that on a roller set, her strands would dry straight. The nerve. I was like....she doesn't understand what it takes to deal with 4b hair. Let the sista vent. 4b hair takes work!

Amen! Preach!:yep:

localhost

4z checking in. Yeah, that's right. 4z. This should be our new catagory on the real.

You know you're a 4z when:
  • You beg your hair to pleazzzzzzze cooperate if only for a minute!
  • You hear "snap, crackle, pop" when you try to run a comb through that new growth :lachen:
  • You flatiron your NG and workout, and it's like you never flatironed at all
  • There is no such thing as a wash n' go and never will be such a thing
  • There also isn't a such thing as laying down those roots with shea butter and a scarf and getting waves :look:
  • If you stretch for longer than 8 weeks, it brings on clinical depression :nono:. You get depressed because there just ain't no way in h*ll that your stylist (if you use one) will be able to sort through all of those naps without "snap, crackle, pop" :ohwell:; and if you self relax, at least one area is guaranteed to come out underprocessed.
  • You can go swimming and the middle of your hair will still be DRY :lachen:(just kidding on this one; D.L. Hugheley mentioned this in one of his stand-ups)
Feel free to add to the list.

FeelinIt

I'm still not sure what texture I am but it is in the middle of 4a-b. Snap Crackly and pop is my middle name. I've been trying to keep my hair soft and moisturized for at least two days in a row. Never happens. I still have to wet my hair daily to keep it moist and soft. No amount of butter, oils, sprays, spritzing, praying, sacrificing goats to the gods will keep my hair soft beyond a couple of hours.

That's just the way it is.

Now I can do a wash and go but not the kind that curls up and lays down. It's usually a wash and puff. Still easier styling but come wash time it's a nightmare.

The biggest prob for me is I always have to keep my hair styled or in check. No bed head style for me. I can't just wake up and go because my hair gets smushed. No waking up to a guy with beautiful hair all in place. Usually I end up looking like GUMBY DAMMIT! depending on which side I sleep.

I'm getting braids in the near future because the washing and spritzing and detangling is a *****!

4b's I definitely feel you.

Twisties

4z checking in. Yeah, that's right. 4z. This should be our new catagory on the real.

• You hear "snap, crackle, pop" when you try to run a comb through that new growth :lachen:
  • There also isn't a such thing as laying down those roots with shea butter and a scarf and getting waves :look:
  • If you stretch for longer than 8 weeks, it brings on clinical depression :nono:. You get depressed because there just ain't no way in h*ll that your stylist (if you use one) will be able to sort through all of those naps without "snap, crackle, pop" :ohwell:; and if you self relax, at least one area is guaranteed to come out underprocessed.
  • You can go swimming and the middle of your hair will still be DRY :lachen:(just kidding on this one; D.L. Hugheley mentioned this in one of his stand-ups)
:lachen:at this list. I am not relaxed, but this thread is cracking me up.

How about pressing your entire head, rolling up with 50-11 (HARD rollers) and going to bed and THINKING you will have a nice roller set in the am. You wake up to a complete afro puff as if you never applied ANY heat to straighten it:spinning:. I did this and my hair was like

":look: Uhm, What you trying to do":look:?

envybeauty

Ohhhhhhhhhh.....my 4b sista....I so wanted to start a list like this. Thanks for setting it off.

The wash and go is classic. There is no such thing on 4b hair..relaxed or natural! Somebody show me a pic to prove otherwise!

mscocoface

Can I get a A to the Men!

When you blow dry, press, flat iron and use curling irons ALL on the highest setting because otherwise you will not get it straight.

When you look in the back to see how much growth you gained and all you see is a big ole mess of cotton because it does not lay down when it is nappy.

Putting your fingers through your naps it is like putting your fingers through a ball a loose yarn!:lachen:If you can get them through there.

When you go up to a stylist and show her your naps and she says to you Oh' Lawd look at this chile's hair!:blush:

You are right ladies this hair type can build some serious character because it does not act like any other hair on earth.

I usually call my hair type 4bcdefgh because I don't believe Andre's typing system is inclusive enough.:grin:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
:lachen:at this list. I am not relaxed, but this thread is cracking me up.

How about pressing your entire head, rolling up with 50-11 (HARD rollers) and going to bed and THINKING you will have a nice roller set in the am. You wake up to a complete afro puff as if you never applied ANY heat to straighten it:spinning:. I did this and my hair was like

":look: Uhm, What you trying to do":look:?

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:too much!!!!!!