HELP my sister is having a curl activator disaster

MsKibibi

Ok, my little sister finally took my advise and got some curl activator to use in her natural 3c/4a/4b hair. I'm not in the same city with her so I wasnt able to help her but it came out horrible. ok now, don't laugh (I've laughed enough for everyone) She looks like Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons.

This is what she said she did: CO wash, put in carrot cream and mango butter, then put on curl activator and combed through while the hair was wet.

The thing is that when she first got the curl activator she used some on a dry part of her hair and it came out nice. So i'm thinking that needs to use it when her hair is dry and not comb it out. I told her to wash everything out and dry her hair and then put in the curl activator but don't comb it through. Also, she only put the curl activator on her ends, so I told her to do it from roots to end.
PLEASE HELP! I've never used curl activator so I can only help her so much.

Edited to add site http://public.fotki.com/MsKibibi/
pw queenkibibi

Tai

More than likely the problem came from combing it out. Combing can turn some curls into frizz.

MsKibibi

thats what i'm trying to tell her but she thinks she knows best, I think if she see what people with her hair type say then she will listen.

Ipanema

It may have come from the activator mixing with the other products she used plus whatever conditioner she used. From my experience, curl activator works best on it's own & on dry hair.

MsNastassja

Ok the little sister here. I've FINALLY come to defend my name. I did NOT look that much like Krusty
, I looked more like a Krusty/Marge love-child. It wasn't *that* bad
. And what I ended up doing was this... and it did look decent this time around. I'd separate a small section from the rest, drown it in curl activator, comb it through (my hair had gotten tangled during its Krusty experience) then, using my thumb and index finger, pushed the hair back together as I went down it from root to end. That got it back together. For the most part, no twirling the hair around my finger was necessary - the hair was anxious to curl up to begin with! Most of it. Some of it is still a little rebellious. Oh well, thats the way it goes. When I figure out exactly what I'm doing I'll get some pics for people to see. Oh, and lillian743 - I think you need an account to see it. I don't have an acount there, so I couldn't see it either. Even though I have it saved on my computer... And Ipanema (isn't there a song about the Girl from Ipanema?), *next* time I'll be able to do it when my hair is dry. As for this time I didn't quite know that. But in my defense, I told my sister I didn't want to put the other stuff in my hair but she told me to

MsKibibi

Wow MsNastassja, i finally got you to post. Yes! LHCF ladies we have one more member of the hair cult.. I mean the hair forum.
LOL

MsNastassja

Ok someone has to help me - maybe I shouldn't have put so much in my hair, but it still hasnt dried and everytime I touch my hair I have stuff on my hands
. Greasy feeling stuff. I don't like it
. At least when my hair was in a fro it didn't leave any residue... Should I towel dry it?
I don't know what to do, and I need to go to bed soon! Help! I might end up drying to dry it out or something...

MsNastassja

LHCF? Boy do I have the feeling I'll have a lot of acronyms to learn. My mom and I joke that MsKibibi is being paid to promote this forum; she talks about it that much.

Ayeshia

Dont manipulate your hair (Im a curly head) next time just shake your hair like a wet dog, and add the curl activator (only a small amount) and let it airdry. shake your head everyonce in awhile if you want the curly wild look. To be quite honest I never liked the curl activator, my hair felt funny afterwards, I think it was the glycerin in the product. IMO Mango Butter by Elasta QP does the job for curl defintion.

OnceUponAtime

Re: HELP my sister is having a curl activator disa

I'm curly as well.

1- Tai is right, combing is a big no-no if you plan to maintain your curl definition.

2- Ayeshia is right, shake and go.

3- I notice that the routine did not have a leave in conditioner (for me, the richer, the better, like Nexxus Humectress - VO5 works too). So after the CO wash, no combing, rub in a conditioner, then add the cream/butter, then spritz with activator (rub that in some).

4- The less manipulation, the better the curl.

HTH

MsKibibi

thanks ladies i really appreciate you all helping her out. The no combing thing she's having a hard time accepting from me b/c my hair isnt natural but coming from you all she might take heed to the advise.
OnceUponATime- I've been telling her that about the leave in but she doesnt like putting stuff in her hair (she says) although i keep telling her its good for her hair. Maybe she'll listen to you

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:
I'm curly as well.

1- Tai is right, combing is a big no-no if you plan to maintain your curl definition.

2- Ayeshia is right, shake and go.

3- I notice that the routine did not have a leave in conditioner (for me, the richer, the better, like Nexxus Humectress - VO5 works too). So after the CO wash, no combing, rub in a conditioner, then add the cream/butter, then spritz with activator (rub that in some).

4- The less manipulation, the better the curl.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg this is exactly what I do to a T!!!
(step 3) Except I dont use activator, my spray is Pantene R&N setting lotion OR Citrus Braid Spray by Dark N Lovely.

I find that after my hair completely dries, it curls up really tight like a poodle. To release the curls in my head I may or may not put some product in my hand and rub my hands through my hair a couple of times. this gives you that messy curly effect like Kelis or similar

my hair turns out sorta like this except my curls are larger it's no where near as long as hers

MsNastassja

Are you guys sure about this? The curl ended up the same, as far as I was concerned. I don't comb it when I let it air dry to a fro. (I comb it while wet). And I'm new to this, so don't get mad at me because I don't do all the conditioning steps and sleep with a thing on my hair and comb it and plait it and protect it and dwell on it like you cult members (or maybe just my sister) tend to do. If I just shake my head it looks like a fro, by the way. Barely any of the curls stay, so I end up fluffing those out because it would look weird to have about 3 mini curls on my head and the rest a fuzzy mess. They call me "Puff" for a reason!

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
MsNastassja said:
Are you guys sure about this? The curl ended up the same, as far as I was concerned. I don't comb it when I let it air dry to a fro. (I comb it while wet). And I'm new to this, so don't get mad at me because I don't do all the conditioning steps and sleep with a thing on my hair and comb it and plait it and protect it and dwell on it like you cult members (or maybe just my sister) tend to do. If I just shake my head it looks like a fro, by the way. Barely any of the curls stay, so I end up fluffing those out because it would look weird to have about 3 mini curls on my head and the rest a fuzzy mess. They call me "Puff" for a reason!

[/ QUOTE ]

SCRUNCH the products in your hair while it is wet
then shake. That method works for me as well

MsKibibi

LOL, IMO the reason my sister's hair 'puffs' is because it's lacking the moisture it needs, so it frizzes.

I got her to start using carrot cream and Elasta QP mango butter about 3 weeks ago, but i'm not sure how consistent she is about using it. I must say that I am proud that she's finally taking an interest in her hair though. I'm going to post some pic of how her hair was before she decided to go natural- It was bra strap length.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:
LOL, IMO the reason my sister's hair 'puffs' is because it's lacking the moisture it needs, so it frizzes.

I got her to start using carrot cream and Elasta QP mango butter about 3 weeks ago, but i'm not sure how consistent she is about using it. I must say that I am proud that she's finally taking an interest in her hair though. I'm going to post some pic of how her hair was before she decided to go natural- It was bra strap length.

[/ QUOTE ]

the elasta qp helps with my frizzies

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
LOL@ Krusty...

If her hair is real porous she may have to put the products in in applications and as they absorb add more. I would try a light leave in moisturizer like NTM or B&B to coat the hair, the carrot cream and mango butter may be too heavy to let the curl activator do its job. Apply just a little bit to coat it and then add more curl activator as it starts to dry. I agree with the person that said a conditioner wash may help, especially if she doesnt fully rinse it out. It does look much nicer in the 2nd pic. Good luck!!

Edit: LHCF ...Long Hair Care Forum...

Tai

For me, the key is starting out with very wet hair. I detangle in the shower w/ conditioner in and then I do not comb my hair again. I leave some cheapy conditioner in like Suave Milk n honey. I put in a creamy leave in (Salerm 21) then I add a liquid leave in (Biolage). To control frizz, I use Loreal's Taming Creme and NTM Serum. I scrunch and instead of curl activator, I use John Frieda's dream curls. I don't shake or touch my hair again until it's almost dry and then I scrunch again.
I used the same technique but different products when I was natural. I didn't know about the products I use now back then. You'll have to play around w/ products to find what works best for you.

OnceUponAtime

[ QUOTE ]
MsNastassja said:

[/ QUOTE ]

She called us cult members...that is sooo funny!!

That's alright
resisitance is futile, you will confrom!

Seriously, even if your hair is curly, maybe S-Curl isn't for you, but you will need ample moisture and conditioner to maintain a decent curl. It's the curly curse. I CO wash no less than 4 times a week. Usually daily, weather and hairstyles permiting.

You may want to sprits the ends only so that the ends don't tangle, or you may need to change products. Add glycerin (one of the main ingredients in S-Curl) to a leave in conditioner. Or change to Sta So Fro.

You will have to experiment more to see what your hair likes. If you continue to have poofiness and frizz (regardless of weather) than your hair may just be dry and you will need more frequent washing/conditionoing. Then wear protective styles for a few weeks. Braid outs and Twist outs may be what your hair will respond to best for awhile. I was the reverse, I used to have great braid outs and lack luster curl defenition, but now it's the opposite.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I didn't look at the pic, but I can tell you that curl activater works best on its own, and those other products are way too heavy to be mixed together.

OnceUponAtime

Oh, by the way MsNastassja ,

No amount of squeezing the hair back together works. That's manipulation and curls don't like it (I know from experience). And as Tai says, you have to have very wet hair to start the curl off with.

Okay, now come back tomorrow and everyday to learn a new tip.

Sweetyb

[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:
That's alright
resisitance is futile, you will confrom!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Great suggestions ladies... I actually wanted to post about making my curl pattern show... problem is that I'm a natural 4b. I actually tried this morning by rinsing out an overnight deep conditioner, then washing w/conditioner while combing/brushing out my hair w/conditioner in it--after I did this, I didn't feel my curls n-e-more AND they didn't pop back. But if I didn't use my comb/brush in the shower, I don't think I could have washed out the hair well enough *shrug*. I then mushed in gel and oil afterwards and that was a big mistake
. I will try out the advice layed out on this thread 2morrow. Thanks ladies!

MsNastassja

*sigh*
I woke up this morning it was a disaster. Since I didn't know what to do with my hair I put a bandana on it. Don't bash me - it was cotton
. (gasp from the audience). Well anyways it still had the junk in it and I went and washed it out then put some more back in, hoping that by taking it out of my hair and starting over it would behave. I was wrong
. I scrunched to no avail. So now I know that that is out. Scrunching for my hair is like patting it down when its a fro. It just makes it smaller but doesn't do much else. I used Dream Curls once, it smells pretty but this was a while ago and it didn't do anything. Maybe mixed with curl activator it would. So I have given up hope w/my hair for now. Everyone tells me not to comb it but it tangles itself up in a rather unattractive mess otherwise, so I caved and combed it
. When I comb it then shake my head the curls pop up more than when I just shake my head (w/curl activator in it).
So sorry, but regardless of what anyone says, I'll have to continue combing it or messing with it because thats the only time it does something. the Mango butter and Carrot butter or w/e they are called (
too lazy to go check) are now in my hair. I combed it through w/my fingers... a little. My fingers generally... ok ALWAYS have a hard time making it through my hair. Its like my hair wants to kill them or something for invading
. But I have to go to church today thats why I had to revert to the old way. Didn't want to go looking like Krusty
. More experimenting later. Thank you everyone
for your suggestions, even if my hair doesn't want to make them work

MsKibibi

Hey everyone I really think that she needs some encouragement about this. She doesnt usually experiment with styling products, so I think that this Krusty experience is making her not want to try other stuff.

OnceUponAtime

I just thought of something MsKibibi, maybe she has product build up. Has she clarified her hair? It doesn't have to be a special clarifying shampoo, as they are very drying, but that wouldn't hurt once a month or so. Another alternative is baking soda mixed with conditioner, reg. shampoo or just diluted in water and rinsed before doing a CO wash.

MsKibibi

[ QUOTE ]
OnceUponAtime said:
I just thought of something MsKibibi, maybe she has product build up. Has she clarified her hair? It doesn't have to be a special clarifying shampoo, as they are very drying, but that wouldn't hurt once a month or so. Another alternative is baking soda mixed with conditioner, reg. shampoo or just diluted in water and rinsed before doing a CO wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point, I know for a fact that she hasn't. I'll suggest that to her, that way she can have a fresh start.

You see, thats why I love you'll, we help each other out and think of things for each other. Team work- It takes a village to raise a healthy head of hair.

MsKibibi

Ok I just asked my sister what kind of curl activator she used and she said "long aid activator gel ". Now I told her to buy Smooth and Shine curl activator b/c thats what someone suggested on the forum, do you think that it could be the product?