Curl Activator Gel (QUESTIONS)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I'm interested in trying a curl activator gel for some reason. But first, I want to know the following:

What is it and what is it's purpose?
Is it a moisturizer or just a plain ol' styling gel?
Does it make your hair soft or hard?
What is the difference these three: 1) curl activator gel, 2) curl activator, and 3) regular styling gel?
What are some example products of curl activator gel?

Thanks in advance!

curlilocs

I use Smooth n Shine CA gel. Above all else, it's very moisturizing. It does not make my hair crunchy, unlike IC Fantasia which is considered a styling gel b/c it gives more hold. For me SnS adds weight, controls frizz, and is not greasy. I hear Long Aid CA gel ranks a very close second. I think a curl activator is more liquidy, more like a leave in, and is mainly for moisture, with no hold or curl defining properties. The gels help your stands clump better b/c they're thicker. HTH!:)

Cheleigh

What is it and what is it's purpose?
It's to moisturize and define coils/curls

Is it a moisturizer or just a plain ol' styling gel?
I'm guessing it doesn't have as much hold as a styling gel

Does it make your hair soft or hard?
It doesn't make my hair hard, but neither does the IC Fantasia "blue" gel. I have other gels that make my hair a little firmer. I apply any gel after I've added a leave-in conditioner (usually a creamy one) on soaking wet hair. The key is to only add a finger full of gel and scrunch throughout, and you'll get no crunch.

What is the difference these three: 1) curl activator gel, 2) curl activator, and 3) regular styling gel?
I think the curl activator is purely a liquidy moisturizer--I find it too sticky to use in my hair. I find regular styling gel (besides the IC Fanatsia "blue") to provide me a firmer hold and a little more of a "wet" look. The IC "blue" and the Smooth-n-Shine curl activator gel provide me similar looks.

What are some example products of curl activator gel?
I use Smooth-n-Shine Curl Activator Gel. Others use Right On CAG, or Long Aid CAG. I think S-Curl makes a CAG too.

Country gal

I don't use activator. I acutally use Scurl wave pomade which is nice in keeping my hair the way it looks wet.

Radianthealth

I have been natural and currently I am relaxed. I use curl activator gel because it IMO is good for moisture. It contains water as a first ingredient followed by glycerine which my hair likes. It has other chemicals that aren't on the harmful list, panthenol, aloe vera, and propylene glycol. I think it is one of the best moisturizers for hair because it doesn't create as much buildup as cream moisturizers and it acts kind of like a gel to smooth and moisturize without the harsh chemical and alcohols of a gel, it also doesn't make your hair so hard that you can't comb it out at the end of the day. I think the only difference between an activator gel and spray is that one is liquid form.

cece22

Country gal said:
I don't use activator. I acutally use Scurl wave pomade which is nice in keeping my hair the way it looks wet.

Where did you buy this? I have never seen it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
trimbride said:
I have been natural and currently I am relaxed. I use curl activator gel because it IMO is good for moisture. It contains water as a first ingredient followed by glycerine which my hair likes. It has other chemicals that aren't on the harmful list, panthenol, aloe vera, and propylene glycol. I think it is one of the best moisturizers for hair because it doesn't create as much buildup as cream moisturizers and it acts kind of like a gel to smooth and moisturize without the harsh chemical and alcohols of a gel, it also doesn't make your hair so hard that you can't comb it out at the end of the day. I think the only difference between an activator gel and spray is that one is liquid form.
Thanks trimbride but what curl activator gel do you use???

Country gal

cece22 said:
Where did you buy this? I have never seen it.

It is in a jar not an activator bottle. It is for waves and short haircuts. It is in a blue and gray plastic jar. I love it. I get it from Walmart, CVS and most beautiful supply stores.

cece22

Country gal said:
It is in a jar not an activator bottle. It is for waves and short haircuts. It is in a blue and gray plastic jar. I love it. I get it from Walmart, CVS and most beautiful supply stores.

Thanks. I am going to check this out today when I pick up another bottle of Staysoft Fro from the BSS.