Has anyone heard of Curlaway Curl relaxer by Xenna?

Serenity K

Serenity...I have been using the product for three years and I can't answer your question....I guess you would be closer to naturalaxed..:grin:

I love the product, it has helped me grow to one length a broken place in the back of my hair which happened using those box thingy's..I've had no breakage, splits etc...BUT...the need to increase one's focus on moisture has been my experience.

yorlooksmybiz and yodie can offer you a different window into the product. I did not/do not follow the manufacturers directions to achieve optimal results and that's really important...but I love my hair and how Curlaway works with it.

I am in the process of letting the product 'wear off', essentially testing their assertion that the product is a semi-permanent process, w/no product on the hair after 3-6 weeks of non use. I figure after 3 years of no box relaxers and only Curlaway I should 'wear off' my natural texture...we shall see.

The product has allowed me to either have a natural look or a straight look. When I first roller set my hair it looks like it is relaxed...as the week progresses it begins to look like a stylized fro, w/ringlets at the ends of my strands. I air dry and use no heat...yorlooksmybiz and yodie use it w/heat.

I don't have a camera for you to take look/see so your next best bet would be their website. There's a photo series w/a young lady which takes you through different steps from start/curly/flat iron..

Read the website, particularly the FAQ section really well...it answers a lot of questions.

www.curlaway.com

HTH

About what % would you say it loosened your curl?

yodie

I briefly tried the product and liked it. I only applied it twice, but I really liked it. My hair straightened dramatically with two tries and I was able to roller set it.

By the way, I only did a test section of my hair.

Serenity K

I briefly tried the product and liked it. I only applied it twice, but I really liked it. My hair straightened dramatically with two tries and I was able to roller set it.

By the way, I only did a test section of my hair.

Wow! So, after you washed it would it still rollerset nicely? Do you have any pics?

eshille

About what % would you say it loosened your curl?

The company states on it's web site that you will receive about a 5 % relaxation in curl w/each use.

My hair was relaxer flat when I started using the product so I can't tell you the % it loosened my curl pattern. Over time growing out that broken section, back kept cut around lower ear lobe/neck, those portions of my hair...the 'newest'...are soft, curly and feel moist and silky.

The company informs everyone that the product works best when it's also used as a light leave-in daily and using a bonnet dryer...ALSO...

"Curlaway-treated hair establishes it’s straighter "memory" during the drying phase."

Soooo...the hair must be set in some kind of way..twist outs, roller set, etc.
I had a real hard time in the beginning because I thought the product would act like a box relaxer but it does not...

Curlaway moves the process along slowly and gently and that's why I say there's a commitment to using this product.

Take Care

yodie

Wow! So, after you washed it would it still rollerset nicely? Do you have any pics?

I didn't take pics because I only did it on a test portion of my hair.

I applied the Curlaway twice that week and yes, my hair rollerset straight. I was pleasantly surprised!

yodie

The company states on it's web site that you will receive about a 5 % relaxation in curl w/each use.

My hair was relaxer flat when I started using the product so I can't tell you the % it loosened my curl pattern. Over time growing out that broken section, back kept cut around lower ear lobe/neck, those portions of my hair...the 'newest'...are soft, curly and feel moist and silky.

The company informs everyone that the product works best when it's also used as a light leave-in daily and using a bonnet dryer...ALSO...

"Curlaway-treated hair establishes it’s straighter "memory" during the drying phase."

Soooo...the hair must be set in some kind of way..twist outs, roller set, etc.
I had a real hard time in the beginning because I thought the product would act like a box relaxer but it does not...

Curlaway moves the process along slowly and gently and that's why I say there's a commitment to using this product.

Take Care

Eshille, my hair sis, talked me thru the product. She has lots of info, in addition to Yourlooksmybiz. Thanks ladies!! U 2 r the best.

It's very important to set your hair the way you want it to turn out.

For ex: I applied Curlaway to my wet hair. I laid one part flat and I used a roller on another part. I used a scarf to tie down the hair that I laid flat.

I slept with Curlaway on my hair overnight.

I wasn't happy with the way that the flat hair turned out. This hair was very short as it's growing back from relaxer breakage.

The hair that I set with the roller dried straight after I rinsed the Curlaway, set it with a roller again and took a blowdryer to dry it (I only applied the heat from the blowdryer. DIdn't think it was necessary to sit underneath the dryer for one curler.)

I hope this helps.

Serenity K

Eshille, my hair sis, talked me thru the product. She has lots of info, in addition to Yourlooksmybiz. Thanks ladies!! U 2 r the best.

It's very important to set your hair the way you want it to turn out.

For ex: I applied Curlaway to my wet hair. I laid one part flat and I used a roller on another part. I used a scarf to tie down the hair that I laid flat.

I slept with Curlaway on my hair overnight.

I wasn't happy with the way that the flat hair turned out. This hair was very short as it's growing back from relaxer breakage.

The hair that I set with the roller dried straight after I rinsed the Curlaway, set it with a roller again and took a blowdryer to dry it (I only applied the heat from the blowdryer. DIdn't think it was necessary to sit underneath the dryer for one curler.)

I hope this helps.

Okay, I think I understand. If I apply it, then say band, or rollerset my hair, let it dry, rinse, and rollerset/flatiron, it will be straight?

eshille

Okay, I think I understand. If I apply it, then say band, or rollerset my hair, let it dry, rinse, and rollerset/flatiron, it will be straight?

You apply the gel to wet hair, get your hair as flat as possible... pull hair straight and use plastic clips to hold the hair in place or pull hair straight and roll on rollers...I personally like this approach.

Tie the hair/rollers in either a du-rag(hair) or shower cap(rollers). The gel must be kept moist during the processing periods. I just spritz it a lot to keep it wet and/or a good spritz before sleep if I am doing an overnight treatment.

The system does not require the use of gloves nor any neutralizing steps it does have a strong apple scent.

Once you have reached your maximum desired time (min processing time for frizz is 3 hours max 9-12 hours) you take everything down and rinse, poo, condish etc. rollerset/air or blow dry and if desired finish w/ a flatiron. You'll still need to use a heat protectant but from what I have read on their website those who use heat are able to get good results using lower temperatures.

And yes your hair will be straight w/flatiron. According to the company your result will be similar to texturized hair without the use of harsh chemicals.

Check out the website and study the faq's.

If you decide to use the product follow the directions to the T and you will be successful...:yep: ...Money Back Guarantee...

Take Care

Last edited:

ebonylocs

I don't want to style my hair with heat (flat iron / blowdry). Instead I would like to either rollerset, or braid out. I want a loose textured look.

I also have long relaxed ends. How would this work for me on my new growth, and how would you advise that I use it?

Also, how much are you ladies laying out every year for the cost of this product?

Thanks!

eshille

I don't want to style my hair with heat (flat iron / blowdry). Instead I would like to either rollerset, or braid out. I want a loose textured look.

I also have long relaxed ends. How would this work for me on my new growth, and how would you advise that I use it?

Also, how much are you ladies laying out every year for the cost of this product?

Thanks!

yorlooksmybiz has been using it on her new growth, as a daily leave-in and I believe longer treatments. Although she uses a flat iron, you would instead pull your hair taunt on rollers and air dry. If she doesn't come on the tread send her a pm..she's absolutely great and will help you as best she can. She can probably also tell you how her new growth reacted w/each treatment vs her relaxed ends, since she is probably rolling prior to flat ironing.

Cost.... Well everything depends on how you want to use the product (leave-in/overnight/both processes/more than 2x per month etc.) and how quickly you want to see results.

Each jar is about $20.00 for 6 oz. I wanted to get my hair to look like the wavy curly photos on the web site. I used about 16 jars + over a 2 year per period, this last year I have only used it about 4 times..so we are talking around 20 jars/$400 total...$133 each year on average/pro rated monthly cost of $11.11. I like to pro rate things...it's not quite so shocking...:lachen:

The customer service department is very helpful and can answer your specific questions...give 'em a call..

yodie

I think you'll like Curlaway.
Using the product on wet hair with rollers was key for me.

Remember, it takes time. For some reason my curl pattern loosened rather quickly.

ebonylocs

yorlooksmybiz has been using it on her new growth...

The customer service department is very helpful and can answer your specific questions...give 'em a call..

Thanks eshille and vodie!

Unfortunately the curlaway website seems to be down today.

vodie, the fact that your hair straightened so quickly with curlaway is perhaps the same reason why you hair couldn't take relaxers. Maybe your hair just processes easily.

Serenity K

The websites FAQ is very helpful. I would just like to see some after pictures before being flatironed. I think I will try this product over the weekend. My goal is to be able to go to a salon, get a wash and set, and not have to blow out all of my hair. Maybe just the roots.

eshille

The websites FAQ is very helpful. I would just like to see some after pictures before being flatironed. I think I will try this product over the weekend. My goal is to be able to go to a salon, get a wash and set, and not have to blow out all of my hair. Maybe just the roots.

That is achievable w/this product, just follow directions to the T...:yep:

Keep us posted...

ebonylocs

Does anyone use this and NOT blow dry or flat iron? What does your hair look like after washing and air drying, e.g. after a roller set, braiding, twisting, or drying loose?

Does anyone have pics?

What about breakage or the elasticity of your hair with this product?

eshille

Still not working for me. I always get "Cannot find server"

ebony...it's coming up for me...maybe clear your cookies out or type xenna + curlaway into a search engine and try to go in from their link.

don't know what else to suggest...:look:

Ivonnovi

Ebonylocs: No pics, but the "relaxing" effect is obtained during the drying process. SOoooo, with that said, if you "strecth" your hair during the drying process the natural curl will relax some. Just consider heat and "accelerant to the relaxing process.

OP: Yes, you'll have to up the moisturizing after using this product, as it can be a bit drying.

Does anyone use this and NOT blow dry or flat iron? What does your hair look like after washing and air drying, e.g. after a roller set, braiding, twisting, or drying loose?

Does anyone have pics?

What about breakage or the elasticity of your hair with this product?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Does this product keep hair from reverting? Does shrinkage occur? I'm hoping it doesn't...and that with use it will just maintain or improve the effects....:spinning:

ebonylocs

I have used it.
I decided to go natural now however

What effect did it have on your hair? (Without flat ironing, etc).

I want to achieve less shrinkage, and looser, more hanging "3 C-ish" coils (well, at the end of the process, when all my relaxed ends are gone.)

Do you have any pics?

Ivonnovi

I've not used curlaway in a very long time, and I still don't see any pictures on here of anyone that uses it, so here goes:

This is the morning after doing a 4-5hr treatment. Showing the present curl pattern of my "under-texlaxed" hair. I've been texlaxing for almost 2years now.

The picures in this post are more or less "Texture" shots, that also show how I put & stretch my hair into ponytails during the drying phase.

Attachments

• curlaway 016.jpg
    curlaway 016.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 33
  • curlaway 017.jpg
    curlaway 017.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 35
  • curlaway 019.jpg
    curlaway 019.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 31
  • curlaway 018.jpg
    curlaway 018.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
  • curlaway 020.jpg
    curlaway 020.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Ivonnovi

These shots will show my "flat-ironing phase".

I divide the ponytails into 3-piecs and flatiron the lenght of each section first. I then take the ponytail down and flatiron from the roots till the end (very lightly&quickly over the ends). Mindy you I have little to no product on my hair when this is done. (I tried Paul Mitchells Thermal Spray but stopped as soon as I realized that tacky-alcohol feeling).

I have naturally dry hair, that thin and thin stranded, that fly's away easily when totally relaxed. I loved the way my hair turned out the fist day. The last 2 shots are of my hair after a night in a ponytail & scarf, still no product.

FYI: IMHO, my hair responds better to heat when I use curlaway. No frizz and Less product & heat required. I'll try to keep an update on how it relaxes the naturally curly pattern of my hair.

Attachments

• curlaway 023.jpg
    curlaway 023.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 22
  • curlaway 026.JPG
    curlaway 026.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 23
  • curlaway 022.jpg
    curlaway 022.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 23
  • curlaway 033.JPG
    curlaway 033.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 23
  • curlaway 035.jpg
    curlaway 035.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Ivonnovi

Good morning!!!!! ......

And "Goodness I'm late". I no have Sisterlocks, and am no longer using curlaway. I'm sure if you call their office someone there could find and provide you the PH.

IHTH