hair steamers - who has one?

There was a thread recently. Someone posted and said they purchased this one http://www.evasalons.com/store/inde..._id=37&zenid=59613f43c96cede8afe205a238f427b3

If you attend a gym with a steam room I would use that. I did that when I was a member. Take a brief shower (put conditioner in my hair, pin it up..and relax in the steam room. When I was done (about 20 - 30 min I believe), I would go take a shower and co wash. But I am looking to purchase the one above.

LHCF ladies strike again - this one is out of stock. :ohwell:

i'm interested in buying a steamer also...the winters here are harsh and conditioning under a hood dryer just ain't cutting it. I think the is a difference between deep conditioning under a dryer vs. a steamer, because a dryer uses dry heat whereas the steamer's steam infuses the conditioner enabling it to penetrate the hair shaft. I've been researching portable hair steamers which are harder to find. this is the only link i've found so far if i can't find a better price I might get this one:

http://hair-only.com/hair-care.html

hmmm, I wonder if I should get this one, or the professional one I saw at my local BSS the other day. The one I saw was $199, is that a bad price?

I was flipping through "Textured Tresses" by Diane da Costa and she suggested other alternatives to professional steaming , but that it will only hold you over until it can be professionally done. Since most of us are DIYers, statements like these never scare us.

You can sit in a steam sauna. You can also make your own by massaging "oils and/or deep conditioner into your hair, then 'running hot water in the shower for 15 minutes and filling the bathroom with steam'".

She calls using a deep conditioner/essential oil mixture with a steamer an 'Asian creme bath treatment'. I am sure though, that all that excess water running in the shower will eventually increase your utilities, so it may be best to invest in a steamer :look:

You should sit underneath for 15-20 minutes.

And the benefits of steam conditioning are the following:
- the scalp is invigorated
- the water vapors open the outer layer of the hair shaft with moisture, allowing the conditioner to penetrate deeply into the cuticle layer.
- it promotes hair growth
- it is especially good for those with locs, natural hair, and color-treated hair

I was flipping through "Textured Tresses" by Diane da Costa and she suggested other alternatives to professional steaming , but that it will only hold you over until it can be professionally done. Since most of us are DIYers, statements like these never scare us.

You can sit in a steam sauna. You can also make your own by massaging "oils and/or deep conditioner into your hair, then 'running hot water in the shower for 15 minutes and filling the bathroom with steam'".

She calls using a deep conditioner/essential oil mixture with a steamer an 'Asian creme bath treatment'. I am sure though, that all that excess water running in the shower will eventually increase your utilities, so it may be best to invest in a steamer :look:

You should sit underneath for 15-20 minutes.

And the benefits of steam conditioning are the following:
- the scalp is invigorated
- the water vapors open the outer layer of the hair shaft with moisture, allowing the conditioner to penetrate deeply into the cuticle layer.
- it promotes hair growth
- it is especially good for those with locs, natural hair, and color-treated hair

These 3 reasons alone is why I want a steamer really badly, I think this will be great for my hair long term.

I'll pass with the clothes steamer!:lol: I dun worked too hard with my hair as it is but certainly let me know how it goes(doesn't mean I will try it though!):lachen: I'll be getting a regular one. I sometimes get steam treatments when I go to the salon. Its good with color and keeping the hair hydrated!!!:eyebrows2:

Yeah, I agree, ya'll ain't gonna have me posting talking about how I had to go to the hospital because of 2nd degree scalp burns. Shoot, some of the steam got to my scalp with my Maxiglide, and it was not a pleasant experience. :nono: I'm gonna play it safe and go with a hair steamer.

hmmm, I wonder if I should get this one, or the professional one I saw at my local BSS the other day. The one I saw was $199, is that a bad price?

Based on some of the prices I've seen, $199 isn't bad. And no shipping costs either. I say go for it! And post pics and a review. :look:

I'll be getting one most likely. My hair thrives when I'm in the Caribbean, it wasn't made for this dry air. I think I'll use the gym's suana untill I decide which steamer to buy.

Is this the Pibbs one you're trying to get a deal on? It's a portable one.
http://www.salonequipmentusa.com/132.htm

Lys

I visited a salon near Atlanta last Friday. They utilize hair steamers for your conditioning process. OMG...I thought I was going to break my neck when I was driving home. Shine, body, volume, and bounce....I loved the results.:grin:
It seemed that all their clients were naturals and their hair looks so moisturized and healthy. I was only 5 weeks post, but my NG was starting to become a little unruly. Afterwards, my scalp feels as if I received a relaxer.

The two hour drive was definitely worth it and makes me want to transition even more now than ever!!!!

I must invest in a hair steamer asap!!! GAS IS TOOOOO HIGH!!!!:nono:

hi there LaManda,

Do you mind sharing how exactly they did your steam treatment?

tia,
tishee

Thanks for the hot steam warning ladies. I'll put that on my list right after don't chew on the cord or stick tongue in electrical socket:yep:.

You ladies have me scared. I was planning on buying that tabletop steamer from the early part of this thread, but now you all have me thinking. I have a home clothes steamer. If you figure out how to use it for your hair without burning yourself please post!!! And please, most importantly, be CAREFUL!

Suerte uses her clothes steamer but I don't know if she uses oil or conditioner on her hair. I'll ask:yep:

i'm interested in buying a steamer also...the winters here are harsh and conditioning under a hood dryer just ain't cutting it. I think the is a difference between deep conditioning under a dryer vs. a steamer, because a dryer uses dry heat whereas the steamer's steam infuses the conditioner enabling it to penetrate the hair shaft. I've been researching portable hair steamers which are harder to find. this is the only link i've found so far if i can't find a better price I might get this one:

http://hair-only.com/hair-care.html

I am going to order this! I was in contact with the manufacturer but could not find any one who was seling it retail.

I'll pass with the clothes steamer!:lol: I dun worked too hard with my hair as it is but certainly let me know how it goes(doesn't mean I will try it though!):lachen: I'll be getting a regular one. I sometimes get steam treatments when I go to the salon. Its good with color and keeping the hair hydrated!!!:eyebrows2:

Yeah, Imma have to pass on the clothes steamer as well. I can barely steam my clothes and not get burned on my fingers...let alone trying to maneuver that thing over my head...:perplexed

My hair would be ok with too much steam, as it's just water, but that steam can burn the skin (or make you think you're burned) something fierce.
:blush:
I gotta wait on VS or TJoys deal :yep:

I have one, it was my mums, she has had it over 10 years. I have a pic in my products album. I never wash my hair without it! They sell it in most black hair shops in the UK. i think mine is by Aphrodhite along with my dryer, its a wonderful investment for soft, shiny, moistureised hair. Plus going to the hairdressers to a steam is a lot of money!

I have one, it was my mums, she has had it over 10 years. I have a pic in my products album. I never wash my hair without it! They sell it in most black hair shops in the UK. i think mine is by Aphrodhite along with my dryer, its a wonderful investment for soft, shiny, moistureised hair. Plus going to the hairdressers to a steam is a lot of money!

Girl, no wonder your hair is the bomb. :yep: See, I'm REALLY sold now.

I checked your fotki and it looks great, do you happen to know which brand the steamer is?

So are there certain features to look for before buying one?

Im getting very antsy to buy one now …

So are there certain features to look for before buying one?

Im getting very antsy to buy one now …

I've never used one, but I'm looking at
  • portability (I don't want something big and clunky)
  • warranty (at least a year)
  • heat/steam level settings
Lys

Steamers are great!

If you want to get a small taste of what it would do to your hair:

Put some deep conditioner on Dry hair and stand in a nice hot shower, without wetting your hair :lick::lick:.

This is how i will use my steamer on DC dry hair hair :yep:

Another small taste -- I ran a bath, turned on my space heater for 15 minutes with door closed until bathroom steamed up, slapped on some cholesterol conditioner, left the heater on (kept door closed), got in the bath with a book and a cup of Pepsi for 30 minutes and voila -- super moist hair and skin.

I've never used one, but I'm looking at
  • portability (I don't want something big and clunky)
  • warranty (at least a year)
  • heat/steam level settings
Lys

Yes this is why I asked actually I wasn’t sure…what kind of settings do you look for if that matters? … Is it just one temperature for All hooded steamers? I’d like one that gets Really hot Snd Steamy – but also one that I can adjust when I want ..kinda like a hair dryer:ohwell:

and one recommended use for the steamer is to apply conditioner, plastic cap and sit under steamer, right?

This supposedly adds moisture to the dc'r?

and one recommended use for the steamer is to apply conditioner, plastic cap and sit under steamer, right?

This supposedly adds moisture to the dc'r?

I don't think you need the plastic cap. I would think that would prevent the hair from actually benefiting from the steam. You want the heat along with the moisture to reach your hair. Otherwise a traditional bonnet dryer would work just as well.

I don't mean to be ghetto. But I used to use my kettle that makes alot of steam on my face to make my pimples softer. A while back I tried an old bottle warmer to steam my hair. It worked pretty ok. I did find a real steamer for $140 in a Chinese hair salon not far from me. Not sure if I will get it or try a kettle :look:. I'm not sure if my hair needs moisture or protein, so I have to wait until I figure that out before I buy one.

I have one. It's more problem than it's worth. Water and steam = a big mess on the floor. Plus the dripping of your hair with product all over it.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't buy it. I've had equal success DC my hair and wrapping a wet towel over it and plastic over that then getting under my ghetto hood dryer.

Back