hair steamers - who has one?

Tenjoy and I are working on a Pibbs steamer deal. The Pibbs steamers are expensive ($500 range) and but we are hoping to get a significant discount based on the success of the dryer deal. Same supplier (Imperial Sales). We will provide details in April.

WOW I really want a steamer, but I know I won't be able to afford one at this price. If anyone has tried/owns a cheaper alternative please post info.

I believe I could have transitioned withouth the BigChop if I'd known about the steamer... Oh well - the twa was not so bad.

On second thought, yes it was.

I visited a salon near Atlanta last Friday. They utilize hair steamers for your conditioning process. OMG...I thought I was going to break my neck when I was driving home. Shine, body, volume, and bounce....I loved the results.:grin:
It seemed that all their clients were naturals and their hair looks so moisturized and healthy. I was only 5 weeks post, but my NG was starting to become a little unruly. Afterwards, my scalp feels as if I received a relaxer.

The two hour drive was definitely worth it and makes me want to transition even more now than ever!!!!

I must invest in a hair steamer asap!!! GAS IS TOOOOO HIGH!!!!

I am in "The A" :nono: What salon was this?

I have one that I bought from ebay. I absolutely love it. But I live in a place with harsh winters/extreme cold temps so I now consider it a necessity for me. I need it to help fight the winter dryness.

I paid about $135 - $140 (can't remember exactly) which included shipping. It's a pretty simple one. You fill the tank which lasts for about 90 minutes on the highest setting. I use it at least once a week with conditioner and it has stopped my major breakage/shedding problems. Before the steamer I put on a plastic cap and sat under a heat cap. For me the steamer has made a major difference.

If you can't tell, I love my steamer. Since this is the first one I've ever used, I've wondered if there are stronger ones or not. I don't have anything to compare it to. I would love to read more information if anyone has it.

See, I live in a cold climate as well, and I think my hair would really thrive with the extra moisture boost. Do you notice that your hair stays moisturized longer?

My stylist who started me on my transition steamed my hair faithfully every two weeks for the first six months of my transition and I attribute the overall repaired conditon of my scalp and hair to this method. She worked from home so she had a portable one, and it worked just as well as one I had a treatment under at a salon.

I have researched them, and what I have found it that a good inexpensive on will run you about $200 but then the price really gets high for real salon equipment.

There is one on ebay now for $139.xx no shipping, it's digital, and it has a year warranty. I want it so bad!

Yeah, I saw some that were like $500! :eek: I think Pibbs makes a steamer. But I ain't balling like that. :nono:

i'm interested in buying a steamer also...the winters here are harsh and conditioning under a hood dryer just ain't cutting it. I think the is a difference between deep conditioning under a dryer vs. a steamer, because a dryer uses dry heat whereas the steamer's steam infuses the conditioner enabling it to penetrate the hair shaft. I've been researching portable hair steamers which are harder to find. this is the only link i've found so far if i can't find a better price I might get this one:

http://hair-only.com/hair-care.html

Ooooooh!!!! It's a little tabletop one like I've been wanting. I didn't want one of the bigger ones because of the storage space it will take up. :rolleyes:

I hope to have one soon! I use to go to this salon that would charge 10 dollars to have an oil steam treatment. I don't think they would use conditioner either, just the steam and oil (that's why I had to cut four inches after going to them)!

They probably paid for their steamers twice every day (lol!).

Are you saying that the oil steam treatment didn't work out well for your hair? Or was it because of no conditioner?

I visited a salon near Atlanta last Friday. They utilize hair steamers for your conditioning process. OMG...I thought I was going to break my neck when I was driving home. Shine, body, volume, and bounce....I loved the results.:grin:
It seemed that all their clients were naturals and their hair looks so moisturized and healthy. I was only 5 weeks post, but my NG was starting to become a little unruly. Afterwards, my scalp feels as if I received a relaxer.

The two hour drive was definitely worth it and makes me want to transition even more now than ever!!!!

I must invest in a hair steamer asap!!! GAS IS TOOOOO HIGH!!!!:nono:

Wow, see you almost got me sold on buying a steamer. Are you natural as well?

This is very interesting, English is obviously not their first language. Do you know where this site / company is located?

I think this company is located in New York...i'm hesitant about purchasing till I get more info about the company....i'm a college student so i can't really accommodate a steamer bigger than this......

This is very interesting, English is obviously not their first language. Do you know where this site / company is located?

I think this company is located in New York...i'm hesitant about purchasing till I get more info about the company....i'm a college student so i can't really accommodate a steamer bigger than this......

I may give them a call tomorrow and feel the company out.

I want to find a good salon that caters to naturals too :yep:...

ETA: I'm definately getting a steamer so I'll be stalking this thread....LOL:look:

There is a member here Balisi, she is awesome. She is natural herself, aside from respecting your hair goals and preferences, she is very gental, and also uses steam treatments. I enjoyed my visit with her. So So chic another member here gave her a great review.:yep:

I think I might buy one and give yall a review but some of them look cheap as all get out. I wish I was brave enough to buy the $500 Pibbs Steamer!:look:

I did a Google search and came up with several that I'm considering or I may purchase the one on ebay. Yawl have encouraged me to buy one:yep:.

In the salons here for a DC treatment they wash your hair apply conditioner and put a plastic cap they also put cotton wool around your edges ( I think to help with dripping) and put you under there from 15 to 30 minutes, they ARE brilliant- I want to buy one

Thanks for answering my question:yep:. Man I want to try one, If I can find one with in reason.

Ok yeah I think I may be sold on getting one also, but most of them seem way too big, I live in a not so giant apartment. If someone can find a portable one or a smaller one that looks like it's really good quality, I'm definitely down to purchase one. In my research, I can only find the mammoth sized ones.

Ok so is there such thing a 'better' one?

When buying a steamer what features should you look for?..anything specific?

I'm going to try my cleaning steamer. You know the one from the infomercials that look like a flower watering can or percolating coffee pot with a long spout.

Now the question is what do I use. A conditioner or oil?

I'm going to try my cleaning steamer. You know the one from the infomercials that look like a flower watering can or percolating coffee pot with a long spout.

Now the question is what do I use. A conditioner or oil?
:yep: This is exactly what me and mshoney are going to try!! Use a deep conditioner...and be careful not to burn yourself!! Post your results!!

You ladies have me scared. I was planning on buying that tabletop steamer from the early part of this thread, but now you all have me thinking. I have a home clothes steamer. If you figure out how to use it for your hair without burning yourself please post!!! And please, most importantly, be CAREFUL!

I'll pass with the clothes steamer!:lol: I dun worked too hard with my hair as it is but certainly let me know how it goes(doesn't mean I will try it though!):lachen: I'll be getting a regular one. I sometimes get steam treatments when I go to the salon. Its good with color and keeping the hair hydrated!!!:eyebrows2:

Back