hair steamers - who has one?

LushLox

What kind did you buy? I purchased the Mastex Heat Cap and it works Great. Like a Deep Baking Heat.

However...................Now Da' SteamA is the 'Bombdiggity.' And you and I are both Hooked. I think we are trying to see who can Out Steam each other.:lachen:

I just think it is taking the Performance of My Products to a Whole New Level. I Heart It !

I forget the brand - it's probably different to the one you have. When I compare the heat cap to the steam, the cap just doesn't equate. My hair felt the damn same! :lachen:

If I ever run out of my good products, it's good to know that the steamer makes ordinary conditioners perform a hell of a lot better! :drunk:

I'm steaming right now. One thing I know already is I gotta let this thing warm up so it is ready when I'm ready. Also I am sitting at my desk using my laptop. That never happens. I'm generally on the floor or bed so at least 1 of my 2 desks are getting used. I forgot to put on my cotton coil so this stuff is dripping. That's okay I have on one of my many hair shirts. I will only have preliminary results tonight because I will leave the dc in overnight.

Yeah I have to let my steamer warm up for a few minutes prior to use, so I normally wash my hair, by the time I'm finished the steamer is ready to use.

Is this simular to the steamers ina salon?
What does it do?

Yes, I would imagine they are the same. Ask for steam treatment in a salon just to at least experience it if you don't want to make such an investment at this time.

Steaming is considered to be a more effective way to deep condition hair as opposed to using a dryer, because it locks in moisture into the hair using steam, ensuring your hair is super hydrated. It is excellent for oil treatments too - something I haven't done myself for a while. Essentially it is very beneficial for keeping breakage at bay. My ends looks 100% better after steaming on a regular and consistent basis. :yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I also purchased the Hair Conditioning Steamer, Model HO-5, from JTE System site.
http://www.jte-system.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_6

They have a little video you can watch that shows the features in action.

I can't wait to see, what, if any, difference between the professional steamer and the counter top one for home use. The professional steamer I will keep at my house. I will post about that one later.

I'm going to be a steaming fool! :yep:

I received the steamer from JTE System. It steams very well, but my main complaints are:

1. Didn't come with any assembly instructions that made any sense (my SO put it together for me thank goodness). The one sheet of instructions that was included was obviously written by someone with zero command of the English language.
  2. There was no measuring line on the water bottle. I put too much water in the water dispenser and it overflowed the cup that catches excess water, TWICE! :wallbash: I finally figured out how much water to add.
  3. It has a 30 minute steaming interval (you can set a timer), but no automatic shut off if the steamer runs out of water.
  4. The materials it is made of is not as impressive as the photo, that's ok, but I thought it would be heavier.
I'm going to call them and see what they say about their product. :rolleyes:

I know this is extravagant, but I think I will buy the steamer from SalonsRUs when it's back in stock. (currently out stock thanks to the LHCF buying block I'm sure!) :lachen:

LushLox

Oh dear January, sorry to hear about your steamer. I got the same one page instruction sheet too, no words though - just diagrams! I managed to put it together after some initial frustrations.

I think mine goes for a about 45 minutes then it'll stop.

Certainly you should get a replacement if you're not entirely happy with what you have; it's not like these things are cheap to buy!

nikki2229

I'm under my steamer right now. I have the avocado mask on that Chamomile has in her fotki.

I'm trying to infuse my hair with moisture so that I can flat iron it for mother's day.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Oh dear January, sorry to hear about your steamer. I got the same one page instruction sheet too, no words though - just diagrams! I managed to put it together after some initial frustrations.

I think mine goes for a about 45 minutes then it'll stop.

Certainly you should get a replacement if you're not entirely happy with what you have; it's not like these things are cheap to buy!

:hug2:

At least you had diagrams :)
Mine had 10 sentences of very broken and grammatically incorrect English.:ohwell:

:lachen:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay ladies experiencing problems with my laptop omg I can't wait until I can get the Dell guy to my place.

I got two gallons of distilled water so I only used spring water once. I have steamed 2x and of course I love it. I have done it on dry hair and wet hair. I think I will steam 1x/wk and alternate on wet & dry hair. Loving it!!!!

AngelDoll

I want a steamer so bad, but I will have to hold off for now:wallbash:. Hopefully I will be blessed with one for my birthday.:yep:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I received the steamer from JTE System. It steams very well, but my main complaints are:

1. Didn't come with any assembly instructions that made any sense (my SO put it together for me thank goodness). The one sheet of instructions that was included was obviously written by someone with zero command of the English language.
  2. There was no measuring line on the water bottle. I put too much water in the water dispenser and it overflowed the cup that catches excess water, TWICE! :wallbash: I finally figured out how much water to add.
  3. It has a 30 minute steaming interval (you can set a timer), but no automatic shut off if the steamer runs out of water.
  4. The materials it is made of is not as impressive as the photo, that's ok, but I thought it would be heavier.
I'm going to call them and see what they say about their product. :rolleyes:

I know this is extravagant, but I think I will buy the steamer from SalonsRUs when it's back in stock. (currently out stock thanks to the LHCF buying block I'm sure!) :lachen:

Let me tell you about the Salonrus one:

The instructions are worthless. I used the picture to determine how to put it together and it's been trial & error figuring out how to use it.

No line to indicate where to stop for the water either. I've used it twice. I'm getting closer to figuring out when to stop.

It has a 60 minute timer but automatically shuts off when the water runs out.

I'm not sure if it runs for 30 minutes or 45 because by the time I fill it back up and it warms up I've lost track of time and don't want to get up and look. So....I think I do two 30 minute sessions....I think :spinning:.

But for 129.99 no more no less,shipped within a week and the benefits for my hair... :lick:! I'm good!

VinDieselsWifey

i just bought one about a week ago from ebay. it was $129 with free shipping from salons r us. i've used it just once so far on 52 week post relaxer hair. there is a difference between using a steamer and sitting under a hair dryer. my hair was much easier to detangle and just felt more moisturized. i shed less during detangling also. i don't know why i waited so long to get one.:whyme:it's definetely a keeper! :love4:

but the instuctions are crap! but i figured out how to put it together.

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Let me tell you about the Salonrus one:

The instructions are worthless. I used the picture to determine how to put it together and it's been trial & error figuring out how to use it.

No line to indicate where to stop for the water either. I've used it twice. I'm getting closer to figuring out when to stop.

It has a 60 minute timer but automatically shuts off when the water runs out.

I'm not sure if it runs for 30 minutes or 45 because by the time I fill it back up and it warms up I've lost track of time and don't want to get up and look. So....I think I do two 30 minute sessions....I think :spinning:.

But for 129.99 no more no less,shipped within a week and the benefits for my hair... :lick:! I'm good!

Dang! Thanks for the info. Shay!
I called JTE and they said that all of the steamers come from China but she did tell me how much to put in the water bowl (I figured that out myself though).

I guess I might as well be happy with the 2 I have huh? :look: :lachen:

Lucky's Mom

i just bought one about a week ago from ebay. it was $129 with free shipping from salons r us. i've used it just once so far on 52 week post relaxer hair. there is a difference between using a steamer and sitting under a hair dryer. my hair was much easier to detangle and just felt more moisturized. i shed less during detangling also. i don't know why i waited so long to get one.:whyme:it's definetely a keeper! :love4:

but the instuctions are crap! but i figured out how to put it together.

I totally agree. This is why I have not put mine together. The instructions totally suck!!!!

ReeN.

Hey guys,
I own a tabletop hair steamer which also doubles as a facial steamer as well. If you google 'Aphrodite hair steamer' you should be able to order it from Aphrodite.
Quick question though, are you supposed to use a shower cap when under the steamer or not??? Thanks in advance...

SelahOco

Hey guys,
I own a tabletop hair steamer which also doubles as a facial steamer as well. If you google 'Aphrodite hair steamer' you should be able to order it from Aphrodite.
Quick question though, are you supposed to use a shower cap when under the steamer or not??? Thanks in advance...

Nope...let your strands feel the steam cap-free.

henna555

when i go to my salon in london my stylist never puts a plastic cap when using the hair steamer and my hair is shiny and well condiotioned.

Prose Princess

Has anyone tried adding glycerine or honeyquat to their conditioners prior to steaming and noticed a difference? Do humectants make the conditioning properties of the steamer even more effective?? :scratchch

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
IMO: If You Have Good Products, Using the Steamer will make them ALL GREAT PRODUCTS. I haven't mixed them, Nor do I Feel the Need to.:look:

The Steamer will make your conditioners Perform Exceptionally Well and even take them to the Next Level.

If you thought you loved something before: The Steamer will Make You Love that particular product twice as much.

It's Just that Good. You will immediately fall in love with Using it. And All Your Conditioners and Deep Conditioners will work to the 'Nth Power.:yep:

It will make your product perform on their own, therefore, I don't feel it's necessary to add SAA or Honeyquat to your conditioners as long as you are using something you already like and think performs well, the Steamer will just Enhance that Feeling.

It's Conditioning on Steroids.:lachen:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
SalonsRus said my steamer should be here by Friday! Just in time for my 17th week of transitioning!

Girl, Just wait until you Slap some of that Joico or some of that other Deep Conditioning Stuff You love on your Hair and Get up under your Steamer.......:blush: It is Indescribeable.:yep:

It is Truly Addictive. There is No Feeling Like It.

It is utterly Fantastic. And Super Relaxing.

Your Products work amazing different and exceptionally well.

Mzz Mac

Girl, Just wait until you Slap some of that Joico or some of that other Deep Conditioning Stuff You love on your Hair and Get up under your Steamer.......:blush: It is Indescribeable.:yep:

I second that!
I have Bigen oriental black rinse sitting in my hair right now. I was thinking to myself, why didn't I get under the steamer with it?
Maybe next time
I will be getting under it once I put my dc in.
(i got the one from salonsrus....i even bought the hooded rollabout dryer...it works the same way the pibbs is described without the extra bucks)

Prose Princess

Mmmm I love me Joico as it is! :lick: Now you got me SUPER excited!! I'm gonna be daydreaming about steaming my hair in class all week lol! :drunk:

Prose Princess

Well I steamed my hair last night aaaaaaaand....

I wasn't that impressed. :nono: It felt nice and stimulating for my scalp but my hair didn't get that soft at all. I think part of it may have been because I used so much Brahmi in my ayurveda mix before I DC'ed but I figured the steam would overrule all of that. I was wrong. But I'm hoping that with repeated use my results will get better and better. Did anyone else feel this way the first time they steamed and saw better results as they continued? I need some encouragement right now. Cuz if this doesn't work I just don't know how I'm going to make it through this transition.

yodie

Anyone ever get a burn from the steamer? Sometimes the steam gets too hot and it feels like the steam is burning part of my hair. I've never seen any damage or breakage.

LushLox

Has anyone bought one from a store and/or beauty supply that you can walk into?

I know you certainly can where I live, but I'm in London. Don't see why you couldn't though if you enquire...

Soooo now that you ladies have your newly acquired steamer are there any takers for a new challenge? We can run it through the winter period for three months or so initially... :grin:

LushLox

Well I steamed my hair last night aaaaaaaand....

I wasn't that impressed. :nono: It felt nice and stimulating for my scalp but my hair didn't get that soft at all. I think part of it may have been because I used so much Brahmi in my ayurveda mix before I DC'ed but I figured the steam would overrule all of that. I was wrong. But I'm hoping that with repeated use my results will get better and better. Did anyone else feel this way the first time they steamed and saw better results as they continued? I need some encouragement right now. Cuz if this doesn't work I just don't know how I'm going to make it through this transition.

Hmm, that's interesting....How long did you DC for, and what did you use? When you rinsed the hair did the tangles fall out relatively easily or no? It's rare to see someone not get positive results but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I do think the Ayurveda powders possibly was a contributor to the outcome but you'll have a better idea of how you like it the next time you use it. When you try it again perhaps DC without using the powders beforehand if possible, then make an assessment of how your hair feels. :)

Anyone ever get a burn from the steamer? Sometimes the steam gets too hot and it feels like the steam is burning part of my hair. I've never seen any damage or breakage.

Sometimes I get hot droplets of water down from my unit, I don't get any burns per se but the water is obviously hot, so it's not the most pleasant feeling. If the unit is too hot I just turn it down and that settles the problem.

Nappy_in_the_City

I probably should look into buying a table top one but I really don't want to be committed to sitting at ... a table. Has any found a good deal on a free standing steamer?

Nappy_in_the_City

bump

I'm still on the fence like Mr. Fini! Any one enjoying their steamer purchase from Ebay? I'm looking to order one SOON like no later than Wednesday!