Doo Gro, M-T-G and Sulfur

Aerie17

I know M-T-G has been getting raves and that the active ingredient is sulfur. It would be great to know what the percentage of sulfur in the product is. There was some discussion a while back about Doo Gro. I have used it when my scalp itched and I was not going to wash immediately. I have always noticed that my scalp quiets down and that my hair is very soft the next day and I comb through without any breakage and shedding. I have not used it much beyond that, but today after reading all the stuff about M-T-G and that sulfur appears to be the magic ingredient, I looked at my supply of pomades, oils, "grease", etc. Doo Gro shows sulfur as the third ingredient after petrolatum and microcrystalline wax, then menthol, fragrance, vitamins A, E, and D and cherry bark, hops, horsetail, soap bark extract, safflower oil and certified color. You can smell the slight sulfur odor, but it is nothing like the tar smell in cade oil (in M-T-G) or sulfur 8. If sulfur is the magic ingredient, it appears Doo Gro has it in spades, and the smell is totally manageable. Has anyone been using Doo Gro long enough to tell if it has helped your growth?
The web site for Doo Gro has tons of testimonials. I will be giving it a go...

Aerie17

Shucks, I'm sorry.
I will try it myself and see what happens. If nothing else, it stops the shedding, at least for me.

By the way, since you joined the board and learned different techniques here, have you had any luck with anything in particular? Any products or techniques you can share?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I tried Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil before joining this forum and I was also taking Super Hair Energizer vitamins at the time so I don't know which one helped growth out my hair after I cut it to chin/neck length in Oct 2003.

Yesterday, I was thinking about buying this Doo Gro product again since I probably got good results with it in the past, but I was looking for a conditioner to buy and I saw Frenchee Super Gro which I've been wanting to try forever. :blush: So I bought me some Frenchee and a conditioner.

I bought Sulfur 8 a few weeks ago and I like how it makes my scalp tingle but I can't stand the smell. I have a lil bit of Glover's left too and that smell is even worse! :barf: From the posts I've read on this forum, I thought Frenchee was gonna smell worse but I love the smell of Frenchee! :love:

I applied Frenchee to my hair after washing and conditioning yesterday. I can't wait to see results. :weird:

Dolapo

i went to the BSS yesterday and stuck my nose in the jar. i think the smell is okay if it works. but the problem is what people's reaction will be when they smell it in your hair. Er.....i havent learned anything so far. I think..........im just trying different things and cant seem to stick to one

OneInAMillion

Last summer I experimented with the Doo Grow product line, from the Thickening Shampoo to their leave-ins, deep conditioners, and the growth oil. I didn't have any luck at all with these products. The shampoo made my hair oily after washing, and the conditioners didn't have enough slip for me. I don't really remember the oil doing much, but the other day I did notice that sulfur was an ingredient in their products. Please keep us posted, I'm curious if the oil prevents shedding...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Aerie17 said:
I'll go stick my nose in the Frenchee's since I've heard so much about it...
To me, it smells like barbeque sauce or hickory smoke bacon. I like those smells! :weird:

Dolapo said:
i went to the BSS yesterday and stuck my nose in the jar. i think the smell is okay if it works. but the problem is what people's reaction will be when they smell it in your hair. Er.....i havent learned anything so far. I think..........im just trying different things and cant seem to stick to one
I didn't think about that. Oh well. I'm not gonna be close enough to people for them to smell it. :D

Topazz

Mrs Christopher Tracy
I actually just recently bought the doo gro after I noticed it contained sulfur and I'm going to try it out and see how it works.

I also picked BB Lite Super Gro which contains sulfur and Isoplus Sulfer III whick stinks. The ingredient list on the Isoplus says active ingredient:sulfer and other ingredients:... So I'm thinking that sulfur is the main ingredient maybe?? I'm trying to figure out which one to use first...

Dolapo

ohhh....the BB super gro dried out my hair. i got both the regular and lite formulas. the lite was the worst

asubeauty

I've used doo gro products and experienced tremendous growth. I guess it just depends on what works for you.

diamoness

Doo gro grease (the purple kind) increased my hair growth rate too. Didnt measure anything back then, but it worked for me and just recently started using it again.

deedabug

diamoness said:
Doo gro grease (the purple kind) increased my hair growth rate too. Didnt measure anything back then, but it worked for me and just recently started using it again.

yep i've used that purple...and i think i was using it weekly back then...while pregnant...but after i had the baby my hair broke off and i juss never bought doo groo again cuz it was too coslty (in my area) for the size...i would use it up too fast...but it is somethin to consider if i can find the purple one again for less than 5 bucks for a few ounces....

ETA: i have used wgo before which is costly for a few ounces but i never used it up as fast as doo gro grease

Last edited:

Aerie17

OneInAMillion said:
Last summer I experimented with the Doo Grow product line, from the Thickening Shampoo to their leave-ins, deep conditioners, and the growth oil. I didn't have any luck at all with these products. The shampoo made my hair oily after washing, and the conditioners didn't have enough slip for me. I don't really remember the oil doing much, but the other day I did notice that sulfur was an ingredient in their products. Please keep us posted, I'm curious if the oil prevents shedding...

I'll try it on a regular basis (at least twice a week) and will report back.

Aerie17

Topazz said:
I actually just recently bought the doo gro after I noticed it contained sulfur and I'm going to try it out and see how it works.

I also picked BB Lite Super Gro which contains sulfur and Isoplus Sulfer III whick stinks. The ingredient list on the Isoplus says active ingredient:sulfer and other ingredients:... So I'm thinking that sulfur is the main ingredient maybe?? I'm trying to figure out which one to use first...

Does the Isoplus have any "tar" type ingredients in it? I think that contributes to the strong odor. The sulfur without the tar stuff, doesn't seem to smell as badly. Let us know your progress!

Aerie17

Dolapo said:
ohhh....the BB super gro dried out my hair. i got both the regular and lite formulas. the lite was the worst

It seems like "lite" anything is always worse than the original with all the "stuff."

Yippee! Looks like there are finally a few positive experiences. Ya know, I don't remember how much the purple one cost, but I don't remember it being too bad, and I believe I bought it in WalMart. This was the Triple Strength Hair Vitalizer formula. When I get a chance, I will look at the other formulas and see if the sulfur is further down on the ingredient list.

By the way, after giving birth, it is common for one to shed hair. A shame, really, because often that pregnancy growth is thick and lush...darn!!
I think it's due to the hormones going way up during gestation and then plummeting after birth.

Last edited:

Topazz

Mrs Christopher Tracy
Aerie17 said:
Does the Isoplus have any "tar" type ingredients in it? I think that contributes to the strong odor. The sulfur without the tar stuff, doesn't seem to smell as badly. Let us know your progress!

I checked the ingredients and tar isn't listed. So either it's there and they didn't list it, under some other name or some other ingredient is contributing to the odor.

The other ingredients are:
Petrolatum,Parrafin Wax,Tea Tree Oil,Mineral Oil,Fragrance,Cod Liver Oil,Castor Oil,Isopropyl Myristate,Propylparaben,Chloroxylenol(??),Sage,Hyssop,Horsetail,Dulse and Rosemary.

I greased my scalp last night w/the doo gro and my scalp was tingling for a little while...perhaps from the menthol content.

Has anyone ever thought of mixing sulfur powder into their favorite creme or moisturizer? I have some msm sulfur powder and I might do try this. Everything else I found in the store w/sulfur had petrolatum and mineral oil and some sort of wax and I really don't think that will work for my hair in the long run.

Aerie17

Topazz said:
I checked the ingredients and tar isn't listed. So either it's there and they didn't list it, under some other name or some other ingredient is contributing to the odor.

The other ingredients are:
Petrolatum,Parrafin Wax,Tea Tree Oil,Mineral Oil,Fragrance,Cod Liver Oil,Castor Oil,Isopropyl Myristate,Propylparaben,Chloroxylenol(??),Sage,Hyssop,Horsetail,Dulse and Rosemary.

I greased my scalp last night w/the doo gro and my scalp was tingling for a little while...perhaps from the menthol content.

Has anyone ever thought of mixing sulfur powder into their favorite creme or moisturizer? I have some msm sulfur powder and I might do try this. Everything else I found in the store w/sulfur had petrolatum and mineral oil and some sort of wax and I really don't think that will work for my hair in the long run.

Hmmm,
Cod Liver oil smells fishy, so perhaps that is part of the odor. I can't remember what dulse is. Appears it might be an herb. I am thinking about putting some MSM powder in to see what it might do; I can't find the sulfur powder locally and I have asked at several pharmacies. Can't hurt, I'm thinking.