Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters

Digital Tempest

I didn't vote because I used to wear weaves, but I'm over it now. I think they do my hair more harm than good. I haven't worn any weaves since becoming natural (and I hadn't worn it in quite a while before going natural). It just seemed to make my thin/fine hair weaker and more fragile. I've thought about getting braid extensions, but then, I talk myself out of it. I rather deal with my hair, and my hair is healthy now. I don't want to possibly jeopardize that.

Bliss806

I'm considering maybe getting a weave to give my hair a break . . . or maybe even some braides . . . but I've never worn fake hair before . . . and being the unadventurous person that I am, it makes me a bit nervous . . . I'm wondering if anyone here has never worn fake hair either and, if not, why not? Also, was anyone like me and then took the plunge and has been weavin' it up ever since?

Thanks!

GG

Girl! I used to be against wearing weaves! :nono: I was the one who never did anything different to my hair besides the usual wash and set, no highlights, no funky styles. Until.... My hair broke off because I decided to die it. Now, I wear a weave and I love it!:grin: I mean I get the weave the same way my hair was before it broke off because I only like it to look natural. I find that wearing a weave I don't have to do that much to my hair. I can go longer without washing my hair, I just wrap it a night and unwrap it in the morning.

I only get tracks sewn in between my hair so that it looks natural because I don't like when you see the center of the hair and it's all sewn together.

Vanity1

I was never into weaves until recently. Now that I am trying to retain hair and am relaxed, with my busy schedule, I need something convenient and quick that won't manipulate my hair so much. So I started with phony ponys and I love them. I don't like wiggy looks, but I am looking into a half wig too.

that_1_grrrl

I guess my answer should technically be I will never wear fake hair again. My only reason is I don't know how to put fake hair in myself, and there isn't anyone I trust putting fake hair in my head.

Whimsy

I voted I don't think I'd ever wear fake hair. I would just feel stupid and self conscious about it.

LaidBak

If by fake hair we mean the whole spectrum of it - sew ins, quick weaves, clip-in tracks, lace front's, braid extensions, and bulk hair for styling-- then yes I will always keep some form of fake hair in my arsenal of styling tools.

doll-baby

Well I have been wearing some form of a weave ever since sophomore year of high school. I have experienced both the bad side of wearing fake hair and the good side. When I was younger and new to doing my own weaves I experienced breakage and damage because I was gluing the hair in. Then I started doing my own micros. My hair grew a lot from braids , So I thought I would combine the "best of both worlds" by doing my own sew - in weaves. This allowed my hair to really take off growth wise plus I began deep conditioning my hair. I am still wearing my sew - in weaves and it has brought me from shoulder length to 2 inches from bra strap length. I will be weaving it up until I reach my goal of full BSL.

onelove08

I would vote probably never. I used to wear extensions all the time. Now I am natural I feel strange and plus I am cheap!

Pooks

Fake hair? Never have, doubt I ever will. Just not me.

Others have had great results because of diminished manipulation, but I've also heard some negative stories about damage because of poor care whilst using braids/weaves as a protective style.... On another level, who wants their wig snatched off/being embarassed when people check for tracks and then find them??? :nono: :blush: :ohwell:

2themax

N-O-P-E!!! Been there/Done that! I've had a total of 3 weaves and I used to wear wigs and hair pieces. The reasons I don't wear fake hair anymore is because I was quite embarassed a couple of times when people were asking me if it was my real hair while touching my hair & scalp. They could feel where the weaves were sewed in :wallbash:There was no way I could say that it was my own - I was so embarassed. Also, I dated someone whose mother and all of his sisters had really long hair. He was always comparing me to them and said that it was a shamed that I couldn't grow my hair like theirs and needed to wear fake hair. He was my first love, therefore it had a major impact on me and my insecurity. As a result, I've been trying to grow my own hair long. Oh, just one day it will be GREAT to see him and let him see my own (long) hair.:yep: Also, I'd wear wigs with my own hair braided underneath. When I'd take out the braids, I'd lose a lot of hair (or maybe it was just shedding). Anyway, all of the fake hair experiences for me was just awful. Sorry to take up so much time - just had to vent a little. Also, I'm trying to grow it long and it's not growing fast enough. But enough of (some of) my problems. :lachen:

darlingdiva

I wear wigs as my protective style & I've worn braids in the summer for several years.

It's quick (well, the wigs anyway), and it's convenient. Plus, my hair doesn't like to be manipulated, so that's an added bonus. I also have no qualms about letting people know that it's a wig. I do not operate under the "I-bought-it-it's-mine" mantra, though. I can't wait for the day when my hair is long enough for me to say, "I grew it; it's mine."