Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters

kbfluff

for some reason I get pissed off if someone thinks my hair is/looks fake! :perplexed

This is the ultimate compliment to me. I had a nice wrap one time and the lady whose hair that I do asked me why I had a wig on.
I said " oohh thank you, but it's not a wig" We both laughed.

Extremus

This is the ultimate compliment to me. I had a nice wrap one time and the lady whose hair that I do asked me why I had a wig on.
I said " oohh thank you, but it's not a wig" We both laughed.

What's wrong with me then? Everybody takes it as a compliment but me :ohwell:

2themax

Never again! Because of the following:

Had 2 & each time the colors never matched.

Had a horrible experience when I was a teen; My (then) BF said that my hair looked pretty & wanted to touch it. Since I wouldn't let him, I think he became suspicious. When I wasn't looking, he touched my head & felt the weave. I was so, so embarrased. He looked at me and said, "Ah don't worry about it. Everybody can't grow long hair." Although he was sweet about it, I was still embarrased.

Overall, I would rather have my own hair and grow it long. Although a weave may be long, it is still not my hair & that would constantly bother me. And I would always be worried if someone would find out.

karezone

I had a weave one time in high school it was done by a professional. I liked it right up until someone pulled it on the school bus (trying to be funny).

I have been researching weaves all week. I want to give my hair a break (tired of bun). Between Black Hair media forum and youtube, I have really been schooled on the art of the weave.

If you are seriously considering a weave, read the threads at BHMF.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Seriously, it's too friggin expensive.

BSS's selling hair by the ounce like it's crack. That is CRAZY.

Yes, it's taking years, but it's cheaper and healthier in the long run for me to try and coax some length out of my own head.

glam-

Seriously, it's too friggin expensive.

BSS's selling hair by the ounce like it's crack. That is CRAZY.

Yes, it's taking years, but it's cheaper and healthier in the long run for me to try and coax some length out of my own head.

I agree with you on that. I got my first weave after a terrible haircut. That hair got me through that time and I was hooked. I've worn half wigs, weaves, phony ponys, braids, and of course my own hair. A few weeks ago I was considering getting weave for a little while to give my hair a rest- I went to the BSS and saw those prices and was like WHOA. Right now I can;t see paying that kind of money just for the hair (not even the install) when I have more than that on my own head. But I do miss weave :sad:

Ganjababy

Unless it is braids I have never worn fake hair myself. Before coming on this site I thought that only people who could not grow their hair long wore weaves/wigs. I would hate the idea of people asking me if my hair was a weave/wig and it was- that is the main reason I think I never bothered to wear them. Hence the reason I could tolerate braids as they are obvious. However since I have become 'enlightened' I have realised that quite a few people I know wear weaves and have lots of hair up under there. This one girl I work with shocked everyone when she came to work in her natural 4a/b bra strap glory recently. She told me she grew her hair out wearing weaves/braids and dont intend to relax. She also said that wearing a weave gives her the straight look when she feels for a change without her damaging her hair. I say go for it- as long as it is done properly and looks good.

I used to wear fake hair but I totally hated it! :nono::nono::nono: Everytime I take those fake hair out, I see amount of hair on my hand when i comb it out, it scared me....

Aussie

fake hair (weave) helps me to keep tension off my hair and to lower heat usage. right now i am wearing my hair out and have used heat like 3 times and its been only a week. i kno better than that but this heat is crazy.

i have reached BSL... but i will be trimming my edges soon so i will be 1 inch away.:grin:

ppl never believe my hair is my own until they touch it (which i hate... why cant a black woman have long hair.. plus i dont kno where there hands been)

**Glamourlicious**

I do and I love it. Let's me be GLAM while protecting my hair and letting it grow. This like everything else isn't for everyone...but as for me...I LOVE it.:yep:

jamiss

I work fake braided extensions for years. I grew my hair out natural that way, but I didn't retain nearly as much growth as I should have, because I did not treat my own hair well when it was down. I became so dependant on that fake hair, I didn't want to be seen without it.

I think the pulling the braids did, especially when I pulled them back, made my crown thin. Luckily it has grown back. I never had a problem with my edges.

The only time I had a weave style was when my aunt used bonding glue in my hair when I was a teen. That is the most f*cking stupid thing a person could do to their hair, and I remember how much it hurt trying to get it out.

Right now I never want to see another strand of fake hair, or hair that is not mine, ever again. The only exception I MIGHT make is some nice cornrows as a protective style. Other than that I am so happy to be nappy. I just feel like if I wore hair that wasn't mine I would be perpetrating a fraud, it's just not true to me anymore.

I_shure_do_wish

I wouldn't say im against the whole idea cause I would be lying if I said i've never worn fake hair. I really dislike the full head weave thing people walk around with. The texture of the hair just makes me sick. I had a weave once and only for a weak that bad boy was itching! I prefer braids such as twists or corn rows. Call me ignorant but I think that trying to sport something that really doesn't look the least bit natural is showing how low you fell about your own natural beauty. I wouldn't be caught dead with a weave on.... not again...

Extremus

I wouldn't say im against the whole idea cause I would be lying if I said i've never worn fake hair. I really dislike the full head weave thing people walk around with. The texture of the hair just makes me sick. I had a weave once and only for a weak that bad boy was itching! I prefer braids such as twists or corn rows. Call me ignorant but I think that trying to sport something that really doesn't look the least bit natural is showing how low you fell about your own natural beauty. I wouldn't be caught dead with a weave on.... not again...

YES IT DOES! I stay rolling my eyes up :)rolleyes:) at people who have that wiggy-lookin hair. ugh! :barf:

CurlyMoo

I'm considering maybe getting a weave to give my hair a break . . . or maybe even some braides . . . but I've never worn fake hair before . . . and being the unadventurous person that I am, it makes me a bit nervous . . . I'm wondering if anyone here has never worn fake hair either and, if not, why not? Also, was anyone like me and then took the plunge and has been weavin' it up ever since?

Thanks!

GG

I have a total disdane for weaves. I think too many Black women have a weave addiction and should be thrown into weave rehab. STAT! You said you wanted to give your hair a break have you ever just worn it natural and up in a bun or just wear it out and free of pins? As long as you keep it moisturized daily it should do wonders for your hair.

Extremus

I have a total disdane for weaves. I think too many Black women have a weave addiction and should be thrown into weave rehab. STAT! You said you wanted to give your hair a break have you ever just worn it natural and up in a bun or just wear it out and free of pins? As long as you keep it moisturized daily it should do wonders for your hair.

:grin::grin::grin:

kriolagirl

To each their own, but I love them! And by "them" I mean, extensions, clip-ins, wigs, falls, you name it lol. I've worn them off and on for the last 7 years and haven't had a bad experience yet. I agree that there are some ppl walking around not looking their best, but thanks to great stylists and high quality hair I've been very happy. For me it's like getting a new bag or pair of shoes...I don't wear the same shirt and pants every day so why would I wear my hair exactly the same for years on end. However I've always taken care of my hair underneath my extensions and I always give my hair time to rest in between. As I continue to transition they've been a great help as I work toward my goal of being fully natural. I have pics in my fotki of my relaxed hair w/ and w/out extensions as well as my transitioning styles.

producjunki

:rolleyes::yawn: I don't see what's the problem with wearing fake hair (not that you said it was one, I'm just saying). I just think personally if you are going to wear extensions or braids, please, please take of your hair underneath the weave, braids, or wigs. A lot of people make the mistake of treating the weave as if it were they're scalp-grown hair, and not taking care of their own natural hair, hence the breakage and scalp problems afterwards.

But I personally like weaves, braids, and wigs. They give you a different look while giving your real hair a rest. My hair itself is about BSL, I don't know what number and letter texture it is.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I personally don't wear them but I don't think it's a problem if a woman
wears it for style and likes switching it up just to make herself feel better. of course some people have medical conditions and wear them for
that purpose, but in general to each is own.....as long as it looks right on them.

TCatt86

I wear half wigs alot. Not recently because it's too hot, but when the fall hits, I'll be wearing them again. I think extension allow women to change there hair without having to cut it or do something that will take a long time to grow out. I'm not quite comfortable with wearing a full wig, but I can understand people that wear them.

freshlikemoi

I wear em. I love them. They are what I am counting on to get me to APL. They have gotten me from neck length to past shoulder length.

--I wear them for about 6 to 8 weeks at a time. But I usually rest for about 2 weeks in between.

chebaby

i dont do fake hair. i used to get braids (fake hair) when i was younger because i thought they were cute and i would turn around and take them out in two weeks. tracks scare me. i think if i get them my hair will fall out and wigs seem like they itch.

Soliel185

I never even considered extensions as an option until I came to LHCF. It had never occured to me that someone might wear weave as a protective style. I used braid extensions this past year - but it was partially b/c I felt I had to. I'd never gotten braids on relaxed hair and I was afraid the ends wouldn't hold/look right.

I finally took the plunge with the weave when I saw that they don't always have to look ridiculous. IMO they look best on people with healthy hair, b/c they can leave out a generous amount which makes blending easier. I wanted to try it as a protective style, I have an event to go to in a week and I thought it would add a touch of "glamour" and it wasn't expensive. When I saw how good mine came out I was shocked, really. I never try to pass it off as my own hair, but I know there are people who see it, assume it's weave b/c of the length, and then assume that I'm bald-headed and think I'm the ish now swanging my weave. :rolleyes::lachen:

I called my mom and told her and she was like "But you HAVE hair!!" She doesn't understand that whole protective styling thing. :drunk:

likewtr4chklit

I rock my phony ponies to add flair to my boring everyday bun, I throw on a half wig if I want glamour and protection at the same time. I haven't ventured into sew in yet b/c I'm afraid I won't be able to wash my hair, but I am considering getting a lace front and cornrowing underneath until summer.

glamazon386

I rock my phony ponies to add flair to my boring everyday bun, I throw on a half wig if I want glamour and protection at the same time. I haven't ventured into sew in yet b/c I'm afraid I won't be able to wash my hair, but I am considering getting a lace front and cornrowing underneath until summer.

You can wash your hair with a sew in.

gorgeous86

I think that to each his own. At the moment I do not wear fake hair period. I stopped dealing with extensions about 2 years ago because I couldn't find anyone who could do a BELIEVABLE, NATURAL LOOKING sew in with some hair left out. (I need to see some kind of scalp or hairline or something :grin:) If I could find a good weave stylist I would probably get them once a year (during winter). I think that they do make great protective styles, but for me, it has to look believable.

missdemi

I currently have a weave, and I started it as protective styling. I haven't had a relaxer since dec.07 so I am about 1 year natural and I refused to do the big chop. Honestly I can say that I miss my hair. I feel cheated. Im not learning to take care of my hair, and I sort of feel like I'm cheating. If your hair is damaged don't get a sew in, get professional help. Sew in's may grow your hair out, but you should LEARN how to take care of your own hair. Protective styling is great, but don't neglect the hair underneath, and it's really hard to truly care for your hair with sew ins.