Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters

Glib Gurl

I'm considering maybe getting a weave to give my hair a break . . . or maybe even some braides . . . but I've never worn fake hair before . . . and being the unadventurous person that I am, it makes me a bit nervous . . . I'm wondering if anyone here has never worn fake hair either and, if not, why not? Also, was anyone like me and then took the plunge and has been weavin' it up ever since?

Thanks!

GG

pistachio

I wear weaves the majority of the time. Especially this time of year. I usually wear my real hair from May-September. other than that, it's usually weaved up. When i get to WL I may stop wearing the weaves...

mscocoface

Matter of preference and convenience. I wear it all particularly for my protective styles and the time I have to deal with my hair during the winter season and when I have to travel for my job.

I imagine everyone has to make a determination for themselves and go with it. Just be confident in whatever decision you make and the hairstyle you create.

Extremus

I've only wore braid extensions, but for some reason I can't wear it as a weave, like I will never do it.

sylver2

i have never worn fake hair. I was tempted when i was growing my halle berry cut out and was looking like a shaggy mess. couldn't do a ponytail and couldn't do the cute look anymore. I just don't want anything hindering my growth. I rather deal with my own hair and getting it healthy.

Evazhair

I have never been able to bring myself do the fake hair thing. I need to tend to all of my hair and scalp, so I 've always rather just deal with what I have. I can count on one hand how many people I know of who have worn braids/weaves and retained length for a significant period of time. My hair has "special needs" and must be thoroughly tended to or its a wrap. Not knocking what may work for some, it's just not worth it for me.

aloof one

I do it when I wear braids. I have always pondered getting one at least once.

"She say she never done it, she say she never tried, she lookin at you tellin you a mothaf^ckin lie"--- some rap song I thought fit with the topic lol... I just think some folks are so against weave but deep down they wish they had the courage to put one on. I know I used to feel that way. my sister hair is my length and she had a sew in for my moms wedding and now I want to try it. Its not lying if everyone knows its fake. If you pretend its yours, thats where you have issues.

Bublin

IMO i rarely see a weave look good. On a natural head - how does that work? Weaves were the front ISN'T left out looks really awful if there is no fringe.

On relaxed hair you can tell where the real hair is and where the fake is hanging underneath. The wearer has to comb the real hair over the line.

It all looks desperately sad to me that we are trying to blend something that looks nothing like what is growing out of our scalp.

IMO quality wigs look ok on some people if they have a full fringe.

I have tried braid extensions 3 times and each time i took them out as they irritated my scalp and made my hair weak. I have also tried half wigs but they look like i'm trying to have a weave with a big ole head band at the front.

I'll stick to what i was born with.

Misseyl

I've never worn a wig, phony pony, weave but I've been wearing box braids for about 7 months now and don't think it's any big deal. At first I didn't want to but now I'm feeling better about them so now I treat them as dreads.. I too really hate false hair and such but I was so fed up w/my hair that I wanted a change and the only way to get this right now is to wear braids. I'm glad I've been able to wear them that long because I had made a promise to myself to keep them in until June of 2008..

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I have worn fake hair but I got to the point where I hated it so I'll never wear it again. My hair is doing much better now than it did when I wore weaves and braids. You really need to know how to care for your hair while wearing them or you'll just end up hurting it.

scorpian

I've worn braid extensions,wigs and weave. They give instant style change and versatility when I've been bored with my own hair or just wanted a change. They've also helped when my hair was tore up and trying to recover from something that I've done wrong.

It's a matter of what you feel comfortable with...The good thing is that it's not permanent so if you don't like it you can choose to change it back..the bad thing is that depending on where you get it done it can be expensive and a big waste of time and money if you hate it

Connie

I never wore fake hair, but I have no problem with people who do and wear it well, not just slap it on their heads (do sisters even care that we can tell it's fake anymore?). I'm a bit of a klutz, so my own hair would have to fall out completely before I did fake hair. I can see myself walking down the street with a nice wig piece or wig on my head and a gust of wind sends my hair flying off into a tree.

No, I think I'll stick to the hair that's attached to my scalp.

miracle

I've never cared too much for fake hair, so I've never had weave, braids, etc. I did experiment w/a wig for about 5 minutes, but found it to be hot as h#ll, and more trouble than it was worth. :ohwell:

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I wore a wig one time in my life, but it was part of a Halloween costume. I couldn't even keep the dang thing all night (it was too itchy and bothered my scalp). How people wear wigs comfortably is beyond me.

I've never worn any kind of weave, but I don't see anything wrong with those who rock them well.

fluffylocks

I have....I think its a matter of how much hair you have, the conditon of your hair, and possibly age.
Someone with healthy shoulderlength hair or longer has something to work with and style versus someone with damaged eye length hair.
Someone who is 35 in a professional job thats been coming to work everday with her real hair may not feel comftorbale enough to show up to work with some micros like a 20 year old to school or work.

When i first started i was 17 with damaged ear/eye length hair, i couldnt put it in buns/ponys, it didnt look good in airdryed styles, and i really didnt want to use heat.....so braids at the time were a great option because my hair looked much better on my head, and i was able to just take care of my hair with no interuptions--Plus i was 16/17 in highschool were different styles of cornrows and micros was cute to just about everybody :lachen:

Now that im 19 in college, in a better job, i cant see coming to work and school with different style cornrows every week or nothing like that.---
Now if i wear anything, it would be a weave the length of about my own hair to protect my hair and try to get to my goals quicker.
So thats why i think it depends on how much hair you have and the condition, and how old you are because of your job, how long people have been seeing your hair ect.

Its different IMO when you have hair to work with and that you can manage versus virtually nothing at all.

thefineprint

I have worn fake hair a few times and hated it. It feels so...well, fake!
I think braids w/ extensions are the worse. It's always obvoiusly fake - everyone can tell and I don't particularly care for the half braided, half flowing hair look. I did it before and felt like an idiot. Although, I will acknowledge that I am at a happy place w/ my hair these days and not everyone else is. So, if fake hair helps or makes them feel better than that is their choice. But for me it is a no-no

HoneyDew

I’ve worn fake hair before, but it seems to be too much trouble and awkward.

I also think I look prettier and my look is softer with my own hair. Plus it just feels better.

asubeauty

I've never worn a weave (I had braids once when I was 12 and hated it).

I don't have anything against weaves or wigs, though, some ppl make them look good. Others have no business (the weave doesn't match the color or texture of the hair that's hanging out, they keep it in too long, they go from bald to booty-length in 24 hours and try to act like they grew that dead Korean ladies hair...)

My scalp would itch and flake too much under a weave.

HoneyDew

I have....I think its a matter of how much hair you have, the conditon of your hair, and possibly age.
Someone with healthy shoulderlength hair or longer has something to work with and style versus someone with damaged eye length hair.

dang! eye length? LOL never heard of that. I guess I have seen it, though. :look:

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I have pretty much worn every weave known to man except a full wig! I used sew-in weaves and braids to help w/ my hair growth. I feel that if installed properly and taken care of, weaves are a decent protective...this is IMO:perplexed. Also, weaves give me options. For instance, when my hair was shorter, I would wear them for length and thickness. I won't color my actual hair, but I would wear a weave w/ highlights and when I tired of the color, I took them bishes out!:lachen:
It helped me slowly wean off of heat everyday. I would only use heat once a week and I use it even less now. Even though my hair is longer, I still occasionally wear weaves. I love weave ponytails, especially the high one w/ the straight hair...very cute! I also wear short weaves when I get the itch to cut my hair, after 2 weeks I become sane again and take dem bishes out:lachen:

locabouthair

IMO i rarely see a weave look good. On a natural head - how does that work? Weaves were the front ISN'T left out looks really awful if there is no fringe.

On relaxed hair you can tell where the real hair is and where the fake is hanging underneath. The wearer has to comb the real hair over the line.

It all looks desperately sad to me that we are trying to blend something that looks nothing like what is growing out of our scalp.

IMO quality wigs look ok on some people if they have a full fringe.

I have tried braid extensions 3 times and each time i took them out as they irritated my scalp and made my hair weak. I have also tried half wigs but they look like i'm trying to have a weave with a big ole head band at the front.

I'll stick to what i was born with.

agree with the bolded. I think they are too expensive to not look believable. I never liked weaves but one time decided to give it a shot. don't ask why. wore them 3 times and after getting frustrated on spending lots of money and hair that didn't even look real I said no more.

Now as a protective style they can be great if you take care of the hair underneath. I have heard lots of people say the low manipulation from weaves gives them growth but I really dont like how they look so i'll pass.

cinnamin316

I wore cornrows every once and i while in high school, A fake pony once and i had invisible braids once while i was in college. I've never worn a weave or a wig but its not because i have anything against them. I think my fear of having my tracks show frightens me. I'd be worried about that way too much for me to even enjoy the style.

But i've seen some weaves that are just gorgeous. I just wish i had the courage to try it.

atlien11

Actually i never thought i would try it but i did and here is what i learned (this pertains to my own situation):

1. I could not do a full sew in because i need to be able get to my scalp. I need to be able to get my fingers up in there to get a good scrub. I did try and blend (just a few tracks added) and that was cool but i think my hair thinned out from it so never again :nono:

2. Lacefronts and Falls...well. They are GREAT protective styles so i have really l learned to make them work for me. i dont think mine look fake and i go out of my way to make them that way so i didnt feel self conscience :locks:

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Actually i never thought i would try it but i did and here is what i learned (this pertains to my own situation):

1. I could not do a full sew in because i need to be able get to my scalp. I need to be able to get my fingers up in there to get a good scrub. I did try and blend (just a few tracks added) and that was cool but i think my hair thinned out from it so never again :nono:

2. Lacefronts and Falls...well. They are GREAT protective styles so i have really l learned to make them work for me. i dont think mine look fake and i go out of my way to make them that way so i didnt feel self conscience :locks:

I always love to see your falls and lace-fronts, too. They always look good on you!!