Fake hair - why or why not?

Have you ever worn fake hair? Any reservations about doing so?

• Yes - I wear fake hair all the time. I love it!

Votes: 125 27.3%
  • Yes - I was nervous at first, but now it's not a big deal at all.

Votes: 133 29.0%
  • No - But I plan on doing so in the future.

Votes: 23 5.0%
  • No - Never thought about it, but not opposed to it.

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • No - I don't ever think I'll wear fake hair.

Votes: 138 30.1%

• Total voters
Yes. I have worn weaves B4 and am currently in braids. Love the options. People say they cant tell my weaves--especially when I wear my high ponytails. Depends on how you get the "fake hair" done IMO.

I braid and weave a lot - mostly as a protective style, sometimes, just to get a different look - longer or shorter than my real hair, different color or texture.

I don't see it as a problem so long as the hair is properly installed, and you maintain your own hair underneath.

I would love nothing more then not to have to wear fake hair. I only wear it because my real hair is not presentable.

When I have worn my real hair out in a what I thought was a neat cute fro or natural blow out, managment on my job thought I was going through some things and pulled me a side to ask if I was having a bad day, or they will make some snide remark passing my desk, if I am not in my wig. Everytime I wear my natural hair out someone has something to say.

I really hate MY hair texture and would give anything to change it.

Why is the world against false hair anyways?

I would love nothing more then not to have to wear fake hair. I only wear it because my real hair is not presentable.

When I have worn my real hair out in a what I thought was a neat cute fro or natural blow out, managment on my job thought I was going through some things and pulled me a side to ask if I was having a bad day, or they will make some snide remark passing my desk, if I am not in my wig. Everytime I wear my natural hair out someone has something to say.

:BIGHUG:

Im sorry that happened to you....I am from Cincy so I know exactly how simple minded people are in regard to natural hair....

I used to wear wigs and cover up when I went back home, but I finally got to where I didnt care what people were saying. If they see it enough they will get over it.

I hope that you get the strength to love every part of yourself. Life is too short.

I've never worn fake hair but this winter am contemplating getting a phony pony for variety. The bun is getting tired looking and boring.

I've never worn a weave and I can't wear braids either. However, I wear phony ponies and half-wigs all the time. :yep: Styling my hair in the morning literally takes my about 30 seconds! I just keep most of my hair in plaits (leaving the front off), put on my half-wig, and put a pretty scarf or headband on (so I don't have to do any blending or combing.)

I'm truly lazy when it comes to styling my hair. :eek: It's enough that I keep it healthy and in good shape without styling stress. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed... I do the same.. its great!!:lachen:I put all the moisturizer and oil on that I want and keep it moving.

Now see that's partially my issue. I dont' have a texture problem, other people have problems with it. The day I come to work and one of these mofos same something slick to me about my natural hair would be the day I become a SAHM. Because I would be so pissed that something would go down and I wouldn't be employed anymore!!!

So to prevent that... I wear my half wigs or extensions. It pacifies them and prevents an episode of BWGW-(black woman gone wild).:lachen:

I tried wearing a sew-in weave once. It lasted less than a week because my scalp was itching horrendously and it didn't blend AT ALL.

I looove braids, and I like braid extensions. I'd get them more often than I do, but it's hard finding people who treat my hair like I do, and folks charge way more than I'm willing to pay for them. So whenever I get free time, I'll be doing my own braid extensions.

Braids, weaves whatever I'm down, they're great style options and I really don't see the great hoo hah about it; if you're bored or want a change they're good and quick without drastic measures to your own hair, I colour my hair but sometimes like/ want other shades/ lengths, so I rock a weave plus I'm hiding my hair till I get the length I want!:yep:

I never use to have a problem with weave but I do now and have since I decided to start taking care of my hair. I want a weave but then I would miss washing my hair. I am not down with washing my hair with the weave in there. No thank you. Been there, done that. I am afraid of the thread in the weave I heard it breaks your hair off. So many concerns that I never had before, Don't want to braid, lost more hair then I thought I would the last time I got it braided. so, the next thing I am thinking of is a ponytail. I already use UPA clip and thats great but I want a really cute ponytail created for me that I can wear for about three weeks. I can't think of a concrete reason that it would damage my hair, the heat and the gel will be a small problem but the stylist doesn't smoothered your hair with the gel she just uses enough to get it in a ponytail so I am considering that. I think fake hair is great for a quick style and a chance to give your own hair a break from the daily grind whatever that entails.

I wear it all the time. I haven't worn a weave in about a year though. My thing now is instatnt weaves, wigs, and ponies. Underneath I always have my hair in a baggie. It has helped me tremendously in my hair growth journey...I prefer to stay away from sew-ins because I want access to my scalp and I co-wash frequently.

OMG! Please don't let these people stop you from wearing your hair natural! How long have you been natural? Trust me, over time you will grow to love it. And when you learn more about you texture trust me, you will get lots of compliments!

I didnt' vote, couldn't really find what I fit into either. I've worn partial weaves in the past, I'll personally never do it again because I don't like what blending it with my own hair did to it. I've worn box braids in the past, I'll personally never do it again because I don't like the stress on my edges, nor really the look for myself anymore.

As far as wigs, I just bought my first one last week, it's a full wig with BEAUTIFUL color, probably 3 inches longer all around than my own hair, it's very feathery Farrah Fawcetty and not even my own mother would believe it was a wig, EVERY person I saw whether it was people I knew or strangers that commented on my hair was soo shocked when I told them it was a wig, most of the strangers I didn't even tell them, I just said thanks. I just got it to wear it for 1 day, I fell in love with the colors and the style, but after the compliments and hearing "OMG it looks so natural!" from everybody, I thought to myself, perfect time to cornrow my hair up and use up the rest of my BT for the next month or two or three and just throw on this wig. I know I have a beautiful head of hair under it and so does everybody that knows me so, ain't no shame in my game.

People always say they are giving their hair "a break" when they use fake hair, but actually fake hair can be more stressful and damaging IMHO. I have been known to wear a wig or fony pony on a bad hair day, but that's isolated. Like once every few months... on a day to day basis I think you'd be doing your head a disservice. :nono:

I have done cornrows 3x. I have a wig and a couple of phony ponys. (I love my wig and ponies) I never wore braids or anything like fake until 5 years ago that I started growing out my natural hair. I wasn't trying to cover up my texture I just felt free from always only wearing my hair in a doobie. I was the Doobie Queen. When I went natural for the first time I felt free and I loved it. I no longer flet that I I had limited options. I loved my hair and others did to but I know that my beautiful HUGE soft curly afro made some people uncomfortable. Too bad. :nono:
Anyway my point is that the reason I dont wear braids anymore is b/c when I removed them I had significant hair thinning. Maybe it was my methodolgy in taking down my braids but I also felt a little constrained, like I couldn't give my hair and scalp a proper washing.

For me, weaves seem to be such an irritant. I feel trapped....I need to be able to wash all my hairs and feel my scalp. Thus, I have worn falls (like the one inmy siggy) when I am feeling lazy and don't feel like all the extras. Ultimately, I don't think a weave hurts anyone. It's your preference. If you can stand the braids and not being able to reach your scalp and such, then go for it! Just be careful not to do anything that would cause harm to you or your hair.

People always say they are giving their hair "a break" when they use fake hair, but actually fake hair can be more stressful and damaging IMHO. I have been known to wear a wig or fony pony on a bad hair day, but that's isolated. Like once every few months... on a day to day basis I think you'd be doing your head a disservice. :nono:

That is how I feel. everytime I tried one, there was some drama! Weaves just are not for me. I spend way too much time trying to make it look real!

Fake hair was just too much money and stress. I would rather devote my time and money to taking care of the hair on my head rather than a weave that might tangle or stress my hair underneath.

I've never worn fake hair. I don't think I could maintain it and I would be scared of ruining my real hair. Plus, there is the potential embarassment factor. I was recently at a funeral where a woman's braid fell out and a small child behind her yelled, "Your braid fell out!"

I've worn weaves before and I have nothing against them. They are great! and with the right install can look realistic and not damage your own hair. However the last weave I had installed was by Reniece 2 years ago and I haven't worn one since .
When I chopped all my hair off on the quest to go natural, I wore wigs for a while, which wasn't bad at all.....
and recently I have gone back to wearing falls with the intention to do so till I reach SL again.
HOWEVER I miss my real locs and the falls have started thinning out the area where the combs attach(front middle) and my edges are horrible :( (they've always been thin but the falls seem to be making matters worst)
PLUS I would like to enjoy my hair at all stages in my hair journey again and not hide my hair because I feel it its too "short" and I look "better" with long hair...

I've faked the funk for too long now(7 years counting)....so I am officially retiring from the game! but I see no problem with others rocking it!

I was nervous at first because my mom and my SO don't really like fake hair, but I do wear my bun all the time now. I only like braids or buns because I can't find straight hair that looks natural unless I spend an arm and a leg!

I got a weave once and hated it so much that i took it off 3 weeks later. I really don't like fake hair. so no i'll never wear fake hair in the future if i can help it.

I'm not opposed to fake hair, but I am opposed to weaves. Glue-in weaves, sewn-in weaves, micros, and really tight braids are all damaging to the hair. I prefer half wigs because you can take them off and moisturize and let your hair breathe. Half wigs wigs have allowed me to grow my hair out and keep it healthy.

I have been wearing a half wig and have been doing for a year. I plan on doing it thru the winter.... it has helped me transition to natural .... fake hair, especially a wig is not for everyone thou

Once upon a time I was anti-fake hair. The only thing I found acceptable was braid extensions. Anything else, I viewed as excessive and only for people who didn't have any hair. I've always loved my hair and thought wearing fake hair was somehow dishonoring it.:rolleyes:

But oh how things have changed.:lol: I've worn everything from glued in tracks, to ponytails, to sew-ins, to wigs. One of the things I love about wearing fake hair is that you can experiment with different styles, cuts, lengths, textures, and colors without unnecessarily damaging or permanently changing your own hair.

My hair has always looked good regardless of what kind of hairstyle I wore. But over the years, my extension preferences and ability to take care of my own hair have definitely evolved. Everything ain't for everybody. But for me, wearing fake hair has been a stylish way for me to protect my hair while it grows.

Last edited:
Back