Experiencing dry scalp from braids? (pic)

Victoria44

I've been braiding up my hair with medium size box braids for the winter months, and i don't know how to combat the dryness!!!

first i thought i had to just oil my scalp, but that only caused build up, AND blocked out the moisutre and made it MORE dry.

then i tried putting moisturizer on my scalp but it didnt make much of a difference after a few hours.

the only time i get any relief from dryness is when i wash my hair, but while its in braids i like to minimize the washing to once every 2 weeks. (i wash with a sulfate-free shampoo, and deep condition, alternating between HE hello hydration, and ORS replenishing)

would it be wise to just spray the scalp with water?? or a water/conditioner mix ?

i need suggestions!! please and thank you ladies

here's a picture of the medium sized, waist-length, synthetic braids.

Attachments

• braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ilah

I had micros durring my transition and sufferd the almost the same thing the first go round. I used a spray I made that included vitamin E oil (cvs), tea tree oil, and a leave in (used the leave-ins that came with my relaxers). It cooled the scalp, gave it a nice tingle from the tea tree oil and the vitamin E oil would get in there as well.

On those occations when I was really dry I would apply oils (argon, vitamin E, tea tree and olive oil) to the scalp and sleep on it. To combat the build up I would use the ORS dry shampoo. Work in in with fingers for a few minutes and then towel up the exess. I have an extra unopened bottle if you'd like to try the dry shampoo. PM me if you want it.

I'm sure there are other ladies with better suggestions though. Hope you get the matter handled.

Ms Lala

I 2nd the dry shampoo idea or a diluted tea tree oil mix. I have also cleansed my scalp w/witch hazel then oiled it when wearing braids and twists. I hope you are not allergic to the braid hair, this happened to me before and my scalp was super itchy and red.

bklynbornNbred

Did you wash the hair before you braided? If not all the scalp washing is not going to get rid of the chemicals on the synthetic hair & as others mentioned that may be what's causing the irritation. Once you do a solid wash the itching should stop if not you may have to make the investment to use human hair (or the yarnish type for twists - those didn't irritate me like synthetic hair used to).