Itchy Oil Scalp

H

HoneyRockette

I don't think I made a formal "announcement", but I got braids last week. I started out oiling my scalp with coconut oil but it made my scalp itch so I switched to emu oil. I discovered that Emu oil makes it itch too. I washed my hair today and sprayed ORS Olive oil sheen spray on my scalp and went to work. I have been scratching all day. My coworkers think I have fleas! Everything makes my scalp itch! I thought it could be the synthetic braids but I have had this particular type of braiding hair before with no problems. I am not allergic to anything. My scalp is normally very oily and I don't put anything on it normally. However, I didn't oil my scalp the last time I had braids and my hair was very dry when I removed them. What else can I do?

sweetcocoa

Hve you tried tree tea oil? Also when I had braids I used this...

It worked pretty good....

Madison

i just got my braids done last week too. i've been rinsing my hair everyday in the shower ,spraying it with the s curl moisturizer and oiling my scalp with castor oil.

sweetcocoa how much does that spray cost. it looks interesting.

sweetcocoa

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Madison said:
i just got my braids done last week too. i've been rinsing my hair everyday in the shower ,spraying it with the s curl moisturizer and oiling my scalp with castor oil.

sweetcocoa how much does that spray cost. it looks interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was a couple years ago. On Havanna Beauty Supply's webiste it's listed for 4.99. I got my at a local Korean hair shop.

Drea84

Could the itchies possibly be from growth?!?
If not maybe it is the synthetic hair? Good luck with the braid spray they usually help hold down those itchies

Drea84

Ginn1

I use shea butter on my scalp and have a lot less itching than when I was using oils. my scalp never seems dry anymore either.

H

HoneyRockette

Thank you Sweets. I have seen that spray too. I will try it. Madison, can you really rinse braids everyday? Won't they unravel? I would love to rinse my scalp everyday. That is the only time I get relief from this unbearable itching.

Drea84

Hi HR,

About the unraveling, some braiding places tie a knot at the end of the braid a small not so obvious one or they add glue to the end of the braided part which is usually a little after your hair stops.

When I rinse every other day I do find that I have to rebraid some braids every now and then but its worth the long term benefits of moisture!

Drea84