Dry scalp

angaliquew

Is a dry/flaky scalp a sign of unhealthy hair :confused:

I only wash my hair once a week and I use a ph-balanced shampoo.
My hair is not showing any other signs of damage, such as dryness, breakage, shedding, etc...it's just my scalp that's giving problems :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Queenie

Try adding flax seed oil to your diet. It will cause your scalp to start producing more oil. I use 2 teaspoons of ground flax seed/day.

Victorian

old head
angaliquew said:

My hair is not showing any other signs of damage, such as dryness, breakage, shedding, etc...it's just my scalp that's giving problems :mad:

It could still be something you're using. Your hair might be fine with it, but your scalp is skin, and can have all kinds of sensitivities and allergies. What else do you use in your hair?

Oh, and do you drink lots of water? Water fixes everything :lol:

angaliquew

BlackCardinal said:
It could still be something you're using. Your hair might be fine with it, but your scalp is skin, and can have all kinds of sensitivities and allergies. What else do you use in your hair?

Oh, and do you drink lots of water? Water fixes everything :lol:

The only other thing I put in my hair is leave-in conditioner (Elasta QP leave-in)
I guess it must be something I'm putting in my hair, cause I drink water all day :ohwell:

MeechUK

MeechUK
You could try massaging your scalp with Ginger Oil or Sea Breeze, before washing. Flaky scalp can be caused by a variety of reasons, but a healthy diet, good regime and vitamins should help. Perhaps, alternating your products on a regular basis and using natural hair products without mineral oil or sls in shampoo should also help.

Even the type of water you have can cause problems. The flakiness is telling you that your scalp and the sebum is doing overtime and that further problems will occur if it not contained. Try cutting back on oils and misting regularly with distilled water and cw. All of these helped me and keeps my scalp clean and healthy.

MeechUK

PinkAngel

I may be a little late with my advice, but I just joined a couple days ago.

Try the Kera care dry & itchy scalp line or the design essentials itchy scalp line.

I've been using it for over a year. I once used a prescription strength Nizoral but after about 3 years it stopped working. That's when I switched to Design Essentials/Kera Care Itchy Scalp line...:p

Let me know if it works for you.

BAILEYSCREAM

angaliquew said:

Not really....it may be a sign of dry skin or of build-up on your scalp.....Try using the pads of your fingers in a massaging action on your scalp when you're washing your hair, this helps to loosen up any dead skin and get rid of any build-up on your scalp.

Also, you might like to use a light oil on your scalp afterwards......Olive oil is very good for dry skin in general.

Also, it may be your diet too, don't forget the weather is getting colder so your skin can and will get dry.

Jewell

No, I don't think so. I have had dry scalp in the winter months particularly for the past couple of years...except this year because I am more careful about buildup. I'm also concious about using WGHO on my scalp after washing to keep it from being itchy...in that way I think it seals in moisture and keeps my scalp pliable. Also, what BaileysCream pointed out about massaging-that's a great idea.

Plus WGHO is predominantly olive oil and jojoba oil. It has done my scalp and hair a lot of good. I use EQP Scalp Stimulating shampoo on my scalp only then follow with a moisturizing shampoo. It has nioxin, biotin, vasodilators (enlarge blood vessels to increase blood flow to the follicles), and salicylic acid which acts as an exfoliant. That helps with my dry scalp.

Last edited:

foxybrownsugar

angaliquew said:

I use to have dry scalp and flakes galore that were unsightly but my hair was thick & healthy relaxed. I was self-conscience about having flakes on my hair and clothes and tried every product and medicine known to man with no relief. Btw, looking for dry skin/flakes relief is how I found this site. I finally figured out I was having an allergic reaction so, I stopped putting relaxers and grease on my scalp. Four months after my last relaxer(Jan 05) my dry scalp/flakes disappeared. I recently started using cremes on my scalp again with no irritation, dryness, or flakes so I now know it had to be the relaxer giving me the allergic reaction. So, maybe something your using is giving you an allergic reaction? hth, P.S. Let us know when you find out what is causing your flakes/dry scalp.