Votes: 109 66.9%
  • No- the state of clients' hair is what determines ability

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Starr1

LOL at the bold....but I will say this while my dentist's breath may not be oh so fresh you best believe that he has all of his teeth. If he can't keep his teeth in his mouth there aint jack he can do for me. LOL

Some stylists are busy, lazy or whatever and don't always look done up. What I need her to have is healthy hair, and for her to look like she cares about her appearance a little bit. At the end of the day she/he is selling a service and I need them to look the part. So what you keep your hair in a phony pony I just need to make sure that you have some hair on your head and your edges aren't a mess.

My last stylist could do some hurr (only short tho) but she never looked the part. Her weave was always crooked, her own hair when she did let it out was long and healthy. LOL

ITA with the bolded. I don't expect my dentist to always have minty fresh breath (I mean who does, he's human for goodness sake and it's unprofessional to lean over your clients chewing on gum) but you better believe ole boy has some of the whitest, straightest, healthiest teeth I've ever seen. I wouldn't have it any other why.

You wouldn't hire an overweight personal trainer.

You wouldn't hire a marriage councelor who's been divorced umpteen times.

So why would you hire someone with chewed up hair?

Seraphina

Generally, yes. Any professional should always be on point related to their field-at least when working. A trainer should be in shape, a make-up artist should have a perfect face on, an esthetician should have near flawless skin. I'm a fashion stylist/personal shopper and wouldn't dream of going to work in anything less than a perfectly put-together outfit.

Having said that, I have yet to encounter a stylist with hair worth writing home about :ohwell:.

Lady Esquire

That is like going to an overweight fitness trainer. Perhaps she may have gone thru the proper schooling and certifications, but gets an F in practical application. I can not say that it 100% reflects ability, but their credibility immediately goes down the toilet, because you can not even apply whatever knowledge you are charging me for, to keep your own head looking healthy. :nono:

A lot of stylists are into changing hairstyles and colors on a regular basis, so maybe they cannot retain length as much because of it. But her health MUST be apparent, to get my dollars.

DivaD04

I'm a bit mad at stylists today after what I feel was total disregard of client wishes and seroious overlapping of relaxer. So needless to say, I have decided to go DIY from now on. Don't need to be giving my money to some unqualified stylist.:nono:

But any way, I started wondering something. If a stylist has chewed up, dry, mistreated hair, does it mean that she really doesn't know how to care for other's hair, or does it mean she doesn't care about her own? I mean, this lady I have been going to has like 2 inches of relaxed chewed up hair on her head and being a stylist, she should know better how to take care of it. The other thing, is that I noticed that all the clients at that salon also had 3-5 inches of chewed up hair on their heads. At least while I was there, only one girl had nice healthy hair and it was SL. Everyone else, would barely make it to chin length...

So what do you think, does the state of a stylist hair = ability?

Seriously...were the heads really chewed up like a billy goat in heat or did they just have short hair styles?
It's unprofessional to look tow back like ajax. The first thing a client does is look at the stylist and/or her clients. There is a dfference between a bad hair day and an everyday look, it's up to the prospective client to distinguish the 2 and go w/ their personal judgement if they don't want to rely on other clients' heads. If a stylist wear wigs, pieces, style'n scarves (b/c I know that is in these day)etc...make it look like something.:ohwell:
If a stylist can't take he or she's time to make themselves presentable I would run as fast as I can and not look back.

mahogany_horizons

I feel like stylists hair should be on point 24/7. I mean they LIVE at the poo bowl. That tyhey should be pooing conditioniing and treating their hair non stop!! They have all the time in the world between clients to make their hair healthy and presentable. It's likea living breathing model of the work that they do. Therefore I don't want a stylist with SEE through ends, SPLIT ends, or NO ends past the shoulders...and THAT my friends is the bottom line lol :yep:

HAHHAHAH I love it!! I wholeheartedly agree!

d-rock

I definitely judge them by their own hair. How can I trust a stylist with my hair when she can't even maintain hers? :nono:

ladylibra

I feel like stylists hair should be on point 24/7. I mean they LIVE at the poo bowl. That tyhey should be pooing conditioniing and treating their hair non stop!! They have all the time in the world between clients to make their hair healthy and presentable. It's likea living breathing model of the work that they do. Therefore I don't want a stylist with SEE through ends, SPLIT ends, or NO ends past the shoulders...and THAT my friends is the bottom line lol :yep:

funny you should mention this, when i went to get my hair shaped up they weren't very busy. one of the stylists washed her hair in the bowl and then was diffusing her hair afterwards. i was trying to see what all she was using even though she was white and had wavy hair (always interested in what people are doing to their hair, LOL :rolleyes: ). but yep makes sense. even when my auntie was my stylist back in the day, when they had in-between time they were doing their own hair or each other's.

you gots no excuse! :yawn:

scoobygirl

My stylist falls into the bad hair but decent skills category. Most of her clients have healthy, long, thick hair but she needs some help. She is an older lady and is still holding onto some of the older ideas about chemicals and such. She does really care about hair health and is open to suggestions about what you want for your hair so that's why I go to her, but her own hair is :nono:. She has naturally fine hair and is heavy handed with the chemicals. She took out a lot of her own hair by triple processing it. I keep trying to tell her super processed bone straight hair on fine-headed woman is not that healthy but when she was trained, the straighter the better. She is such a sweet woman, I hope she gets it together before it's too late.

tocktick

The way I see it, if a stylist has jacked up hair (not talking bed head-that may just be laziness), it's usually because they know nada about hair care health. They may know how to style out of this world but maintaining hair health is unknown to them.

i believe this to be true. i know braiders with damaged hair yet they can braid extremely well.

BillyJay

The way I see it, if a stylist has jacked up hair (not talking bed head-that may just be laziness), it's usually because they know nada about hair care health. They may know how to style out of this world but maintaining hair health is unknown to them.

PREACH!:yep:

caramelcutieinva

I look at the clients in the salon

Most of the stylists I know don't like doing their own hair ... they do hair all day and don't want to bother with their own

A stylists ability to do her own hair has nothing to do with her ability to do mine .... our hair texture is not one in teh same. I have had some women with beautiful hair ... screw mine up :lachen:

Neala21

I'm a bit mad at stylists today after what I feel was total disregard of client wishes and seroious overlapping of relaxer. So needless to say, I have decided to go DIY from now on. Don't need to be giving my money to some unqualified stylist.:nono:

But any way, I started wondering something. If a stylist has chewed up, dry, mistreated hair, does it mean that she really doesn't know how to care for other's hair, or does it mean she doesn't care about her own? I mean, this lady I have been going to has like 2 inches of relaxed chewed up hair on her head and being a stylist, she should know better how to take care of it. The other thing, is that I noticed that all the clients at that salon also had 3-5 inches of chewed up hair on their heads. At least while I was there, only one girl had nice healthy hair and it was SL. Everyone else, would barely make it to chin length...

I was taught this in cosmo school and by stylist mother...if the stylist hair isn't right why would you let them do your hair. appearance says a lot--it gives the first impression. Regardless of their ability. It shows if they care.

If they dont give a rats *** to how they come out and the health of their hair they're not gonna care about the health of your hair..they may do a good job on the overall appearance to your hair when you leave the shop but you could later wash your hair and find it damaged.

One of my personal quotes... They can't help you if they can't help themselves...doesn't matter what are of life we are talking I find it applies regardless

20Pearls_Girl

Absolutely NO.

I've been to some stylist who had decent/good/great hair and couldn't transfer that to their customers. I've had some stylist who had chewed up hair with weave plopped on top and did hair ok.

Skills are skills... some people have it and most don't.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I went into a new salon to ask some questions and the owner was all apologetic about the fact that she was wearing a hat that day. I didn't think that much of it, but a lot of what you all are saying is right. I would think the styling of the hair shouldn't matter as much as the overall health. However I have had a couple of pretty good stylists that wore their hair short (by choice) .

ladylibra

One of my personal quotes... They can't help you if they can't help themselves...doesn't matter what are of life we are talking I find it applies regardless

yep! if you work in retail/sales you know you're supposed to be representing the company and/or your product. best foot forward because people do go off of first impressions...

deltagyrl

Yes and no.

A lot of good stylists are tired after doing hair all week so they'll slap a pony or weave in for easy maintenance. I'm not dissuaded by their hair unless it's ridiculous looking (no edges, chewed up ends, bleach, bald spots, etc).

I gauge a stylist's skillz by her clients' headz.

You also have to get to know each other. I relaxed last week and she always does a fabulous job. She knows how I am about trimming all the darn time so she *gasps* asks if I want a trim before even attempting to pick up the scissors. I appreciate that. :yep:

I always say no, btw.

Kirei

I don't know...

If I am going to a stylist I expect them to style my hair. I never really thought about the health of a stylists hair. I had a friend who could do some mean micros, I mean they were so neat and off the chain, not to tight either, almost as great and neat as the African braiders. But, ol' girl hair was jacked up. But she could style my hair really well.

I guess, I would still go to a stylist for a style but not to tell me about how to care for my hair or how to maintain healthy hair. If I wanted a straw set or something, I would go get it done, using my own products though....even if their hair is jacked up. If I have seen their work and know they can put it down, that's all I need.

But, for hair health tips and washes, presses, blow outs and dc's and any other jazz, ummm nooo, if your hair is a HAM, you obviously don't know how to take care of hair. Why would I get a relaxer from someone whos own hair is double processed? I don't play with chemicals. But I would go to that stylist for a straw set or updo or something that required minimal heat and I could use my own products.

Hope all that made sense! LOL!

Curly CoCo

I think they should have healthy hair, it doesnt have to be long, but healthy like it's taken care of. I feel like it's a form of advertisement because as a client Im gonna want he to use whatever she uses to get her own hair that way.

*CherryPie*

The ONLY stylist that I would let touch my hair had a little pony tail pulled to the back.

I stopped going to stylists many years ago because she had a baby and stopped doing hair, and no other stylist has been allowed in my hair. My hair has always been long ( APL-MBL) and she kept it in great condition.

She wasn't scissor happy either. In fact, she pushed long hair on us, and she only cut enough to keep the hair healthy....which was very little, because she kept my relaxed hair so healthy.

So, no, I don't think the condition of her hair determines whether, or not she will take great care of my hair. I look at the condition of her/his client's hair.

BostonMaria

9 out of 10 stylists I've been to had long, beautiful, healthy hair... and my hair was dull, full of split ends, and dry as hell LOL

I think that they did their own hair and were gentle with it. I was just another person spending money at the salon that they needed to get in and out.

I think the state of their customers hair is what speaks volumes. I still say do your hair at home and keep your money.

.:Eden:.

I don't believe so. When I was relaxed I went to my mother's hairstylist. Her hair was never the bomb, but she did get the occasional updo with the pearls stuck in it.

All her clients including her daughter, my mother, and myself had fabulous hair. My mother's and her daughters hair reached waistlength while seeing her. I APL on my way to BSL hair, but then I stopped going to her because she started acting crazy.

I get the point of some not trusting stylist with terrible looking hair, but I would look at the clients before I make my last judgement.

Just my opinion...

BananaClipQueen

I worked for an awesome healthy hair stylist that wore half wigs. She neglected her hair because she was in such high demand and was constantly working. She also had small children. Most of her clients had long beautiful healthy hair. Those that had short hair also had thick full hair and edges. My answer is no.

afjhnsn

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it probably tells a story on the stylists knowledge of black hair hair... No in the sense that the stylist may be a GREAT stylist who goes for LOOKS and cares nothing about the client hair being there in the next 2weeks. I have a friend who doesn't have the BEST hair (healthwise) but is definately a great stylist.. so I just pretend I'm an obsessive-compulsive tenderheaded fool who MUST wash my kanekalon hair with vinegar for 15min then spray down each strand with braid spray before applying it to my hair. Her being my bff fully understands this =) :spinning:

What does the vinegar do? You spray the hair w vinegar and braid spray prior to installing it?

newnyer

I would think so but i'd have to agree with a couple of previous posts...i'd pay more attention to their clients hair instead. My last long time stylist always had the newest & cutest styles, colors and weaves, but sometimes the health of her hair wasn't anything to write home about-because she was always experimenting so much on her own hair. At the same time-she knew how my hair reacted to certain chemicals & colors, and wouldn't let my hair touch them until she thought my hair was healthy & ready to handle them. She was all about MY hair being healthy, not so much her own. I used to fuss & pout sometimes, but at the end of the day my hair was at its healthiest when I was with her.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Carisa

Well to me it depends on what you mean by "ability" Their ability to style hair or their ability to help it thrive and/or grow. I do think a stylist who's hair is in bad shape may be able to style the hair or do the latest fashion well but I would not trust them to actually care for it. These are the type of stylist that can do pretty hairdo's but at the same time they are slowly breaking off your hair bit by bit. I can honestly say that I've never seen a beautician with nice hair in real life- they usually keep it weaved up or have short hair.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
A stylists hair needs to be on point. Even if it's in a bun it needs to look healthy and neat. If they keep it short and sassy or the latest rage style I'm not too quick to take advice from them about growing long hair but I will assume they know how to style hair very well. If it's long I will assume they they know a lot about health but maybe not so much about styling. Depending on my needs I'l choose which stylist to go to.

FutureMD

Yeah, well then how do you judge male stylists? B/c I've been to excellent male hairstylists and they don't wear women's hairstyles.
There is a lot to be said for people in service industries who put serving you above/ahead of serving themselves.
I'd also say that I went to two natural haired women who did relaxers who clearly hated the fact that my hair was lightly relaxed and not pin straight. I wasn't expecting to hear people criticize my hair when they were wearing theirs short (and both had very kinky textured hair so I thought for sure they weren't worshippers of straight hair).
So what a stylist has on his/her head tells me nothing about values, methods, or abilities.

GaiasDaughter24

I'm going to say no. Maybe they just don't care what they do to their own. However, I understand not wanting to go to one that has messed up hair. IMO, if you're in the field of doing hair your own hair should be your advertisement. I wouldn't go to one either LOL