Do you stop using glycerin during the winter months?

BC2/4/06

If so when do you know when to stop using glycerine?

I am trying to tweak my moisturizing regimen for winter. I am a making a homemade spritz and shea butter mixture for the winter.

The spritz consists of half BRX Braid spray, aloe vera gel, castor oil and rose water. The reason why I use the braid spray is for the glycerin content. Maybe it is not neccessary though.

I could replace the braid spray with Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier which does not contain glycerin.

Also should I add glycerin to my shea butter mix?

To summarize, Does anyone intentinally stop using glycerin for the winter months? I live in TN, it will probably start feeling cold by Nov 1st. Thanks!

fyb87

Glycerin is a humectant. Which means humidity and dew points will play a part in when you should add it to your routine.

For instance if the humidity and dew points are about mid-range (40-60) in most instances it would be a good time to use it. However, as we all now not everything is a fact and each individuals hair is different. Which is usually in the summer. But, depending on wear you live it may differ. I grew up in Louisiana and the humidity there is atrocious. So I never used any humectants.

When the humidity and dew points are high (maybe above 60) in most instances you would stay away from all humectants (glycerin, honey, b5, panthenol and propylene glycol) are at least try to use anti-humectants.

When the humidity and dew points are low (below 40), it really depends on your hair and how moisturized your hair is at the time. Some people can't tolerate it and some can. It would be more of a trial and error.

When it is very dry outside say maybe the humidity and dews are below 29 then definitely stay away from all humectants (this includes glycerin) and add as much mosture as you can without overconditioning. This in a lot of places would be in the Winter or Colder months!!

I have a blackberry and I have weatherbug downloaded to my phone so I can know what the humidity and dews are at all times. Especially since I wear my hair curly and down 95% of the time. Don't need to walking around looking like Diana Ross or Chaka Khan!! At least no unless I want to that day!

HTH

ETA: Most of the time I stay away from Glycerin and all other humectants most of the year except for when I am doing deep conditioning treatments. I do weekly deep conditioning and I moisturize my hair twice a week at night. So my hair is pretty moisturized and I rarely need to use humectants. I can tell when I do though because my hair will all dry and frizzy. I will say if you really don't want to watch the dew and humidity levels you can for sure leave out Glycerin all all other humectants when it is foggy outside, raining/drizzling or when it feels like your skin is moist when you go outside!

Last edited:

BC2/4/06

Thanks fyb87! That was so informative! I use glycerin to draw moisture to my hair, it doesnt really frizz it just gets really dry. So if I WANT to draw moisture to my hair would the dewpoint rule still apply? What about if I dont want the glycerin to dry my hair out?

I'm natural 4b, Thanks!

pmichael52172

I definately stop using glycerine when warm months are over. In fact, it's still a little warm but I'm cutting it out now so that I can perfect my moisturizing game for the colder months.

I'll start back with glycerine when spring starts.

fyb87

@ BC2/4/06: If you want to draw moisture into your hair. Yes, the glycerin would do that. However, if you are still experiencing dry hair then you need to add more moisture and emoillients. Emollients will add gloss and shine and protect it from water loss as well as help with breakage and detangling. Emolients would be vegetable oils and nut butters/oils. Examples would be: jojoba, avocado, olive, coconut and macademia oils as well as shea butter and fatty alcolhols (cetearyl, lauryl, cetyl, myristly). Also, some say aloe vera is another emollient. I tend to think this is true because since I have been using products with Aloe Vera in them my hair has been so much better. I barely ever have frizz or if I do it's just a little and that's okay to have a little when you have curly hair (to me anyway). Doing oil rinses, hot oil rinses or doing deep conditioning treatments with any of the above oils should aide in recovering your hair from the dryness. Again, it's trial and error. For instance, olive and coconut oils dry my hair out as does shea butter. But, they work great for other people. You just have to find what your particular hair likes. HTH

Last edited:

Chameleonchick

I am defintely trying to stay away form high amounts of glycerin now, I woke up this morning and it was 40 degrees outside! Cold and dry.

Soliel185

I read somewhere that as long as you have more water in your mix than glycerine you shouldn't have problems with it attempting to draw moisture out of your hair.

I've been using it with rosewater & aloe vera recently, and I'm going to continue into winter and keep an eye on how it does.

MonPetite

For reasons already mentioned, when it's cold and dry out, I avoid glycerin and up my conditioning using products that don't rely upon glycerin to be effective.