Natural Ladies...can you share your winter reggies PLEASE????

Fine 4s

I’m going to be in braids but :nono: guess I’m going to have to find alternatives to my beloved Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream and Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm as they both contain vegetable glycerin :wallbash:.
I :pray: someone will say they used these products during the winter with no problem.

How do these spread on natural hair? Does the 'balm' have a grease-like consitency? Assuming their 'creams' are creamy like pudding (I'm thinking amla) I'd like to try the QB products. The way I'm thinking I can apply it is by sectioning off my freshly washed hair and apply to each section....

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I haven't even thought about a winter reggie yet.
I'm thinking i might really consider just staying in full sew-ins or cornrows with extensions. boring. :perplexed
but easy as heck-wash and condition 1x a week, oil my scalp with castor oil every night, flat-iron the weave hair. :yep:
IF (and that's a big ole maybe) I do decide to wear my own hair, i'll probably wash and condition like once every two weeks, do some twists, and then protective style them.

isabella09

How do these spread on natural hair? Does the 'balm' have a grease-like consitency? Assuming their 'creams' are creamy like pudding (I'm thinking amla) I'd like to try the QB products. The way I'm thinking I can apply it is by sectioning off my freshly washed hair and apply to each section....

These products spread beautifully on natural hair, the consistency of the balm is a little greasy and on initial glance it appears very sticky but once rubbed between your palm’s it transforms into a beautiful balm. The Burdock Root Butter is light and creamy in consistency due to it being a water based moisturizer (Sorry, I’m not familiar with amla in order to make a comparison). I use these products simultaneously (on damp and dry hair) and find the moisturising combination to work amazingly well on my hair; it feel’s soo soft and hydrated all day :lick:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think the only thing that I'm going to change is upping the deep conditioning and sealing more. Otherwise, stay in protective styles, moisturize when needed.

I have been going to the dominicans every two to three weeks for wash/cond. and blow dry,flat iron straight. I will take a break in november and bun again. I will proably do my aphogee protein treatments 2min and 6wks then and i will moisturizer with olive oil deep conditioner and the ao conditioner i have. I may get avocado butter again. I use jojoba oil right now to keep my hair moisturized and dust on a regular basis.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

I plan to moisturize more frequently and wear my hair up. Last winter I wore alot of twistouts and ended up w/dryness and breakage. I also plan to hide my hair w/half wigs in between wash days instead of rocking a puff like I usually do.

naijamerican

Oh no!!!!! Thank you so much for the headsup! At least now I can start looking for other ways to moisturize. What are you using as your daily moisturizer in the winter???

Koos, I'm sorry I missed this. This winter I'm going to be relying on QB products primarily and have been contemplating trying a couple of new things: getting a steamer (I might have already said that; Charzboss, JustKiya, and Lucky's Mom are a few naturals who come to mind that have stated how much steamers have impacted their hair :yep:) and doing some henna treatments. The QB products I'll be using are Amla and Olive Cream and the Detangling Ghee, which is an excellent moisturizer. I purchased some AfroVeda products, too, which I'm eager to try. Finally, I really like Jane Carter's Solutions products for sealing (namely, Nourish and Shine - it's pricey but I really think it's worth it. If the AfroVeda products are a success, I might replace it). I hope this helps you. Good luck!

jamaraa

No diff major dif except two things...I'm less willing to do a last rinse in cold water (obvious reasons :) ) and I tend to go for heavier oils (read old fashioned grease) tho I still use lighter stuff. Depends on my hair and the weather.

kooskoos

1. I'm still DCing once a week. I'd like to up it to two but I won't have the time. I do it on weekends with a mixture of AO's HSR and GBP for protein/moisture

2. I plugged in my humidifier, and run it whenever I'm home with filtered water. Seriously this is the truth! I'm notorious for just sleeping with my hair out and unbraided when I come home late, and in the past when I woke up my hair would be all dry shrunken and crunchy, but with the humidifier, when I wake up my hair is still a bit shrunken but still soft and moisturized feeling. :D its great for keeping moisture in the room to combat the drying heaters.

3. I use my Qhemet Amla and Olive more often now than I did in the summer

4. Co-washing is out, its too cold, lol.

5. Braid hair every night, PS exclusively during the day

Although since I'm in the PS challenge, I'm about to put a sew in in for the winter and BKT the perimeter so that it can blend easier when I straighten it. I'm gunning for APL by New Years!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES LADIES!!!!

The humidifier sounds like a GREAT idea! What's the brand/model you use? Was it expensive? I haven't even seen a humidifier since my brother was a baby!

kooskoos

I bring down the washing to 1x a week and try to DC on the weekends.

Press n Flat Irons hold up flawlessly in the New York winters so I'll be doing alot of them because their so quick to do and easy to maintain, right now I'm on the tail end of rocking a braid-out because I was straightened for 2 weeks so I'll probably be alternating between press n flat irons with braid outs or twists.

I want to put my hair away in some self-installed senegalese twist extensions within the next two weeks as well I find this to be an awesome no maintenence wintertime PS that really gives my hair the opportunity to rest and thrive.

I guess I'll have to put my beloved coconut oil on the shelf for this winter:ohwell:

I'm sure I can rock my straightened hair here in MD. With keeping your hair straightened in dry weather, do you ever have any problems with dryness or breakage?

kooskoos

I plan to moisturize more frequently and wear my hair up. Last winter I wore alot of twistouts and ended up w/dryness and breakage. I also plan to hide my hair w/half wigs in between wash days instead of rocking a puff like I usually do.

Thanks for this reminder Ms Lala! I definitely need to start wearing my hair up more often :yep:

kooskoos

Koos, I'm sorry I missed this. This winter I'm going to be relying on QB products primarily and have been contemplating trying a couple of new things: getting a steamer (I might have already said that; Charzboss, JustKiya, and Lucky's Mom are a few naturals who come to mind that have stated how much steamers have impacted their hair :yep:) and doing some henna treatments. The QB products I'll be using are Amla and Olive Cream and the Detangling Ghee, which is an excellent moisturizer. I purchased some AfroVeda products, too, which I'm eager to try. Finally, I really like Jane Carter's Solutions products for sealing (namely, Nourish and Shine - it's pricey but I really think it's worth it. If the AfroVeda products are a success, I might replace it). I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Naijamerican, your info has been soooo helpful! I appreciate it. I'm looking into using either a steamer or a humidifier (as another lady on here suggested). I purchased Giovanni Direct conditioner and I've been using that as a moisturizer this wknd just to see how my hair likes it (it doesn't have any glycerin). So far so good, but if it starts acting out, I'll be trying some of your suggestions.

sheba1

My winter reggie is still forming, but mostly I'm baggying and wigging it with pixie braids (no hair added) beneath. I cowash every other evening with a shikakai/amla/brahmi tea and conditioner mix. I add cholesterol conditioner and amla/castor oil and leave in french braids until my next cowash. The baggy keeps my head warm and my hair moist. When I remember I oil my scalp with sulfur oil. I shampoo once a month when I redo my braids.

I've been thinking about trying a sew in. If I do, it'll still be pretty much the same except I'll only tea cowash 2x a week.

Victorian

old head
I already use AO GPB every week, so for an extra boost of moisture I'm going to start mixing in Kim Vo Moisturizing Masque to it for deep conditioning.
I'm thinking I might also do something especially for my ends, but I'm not sure what yet :scratchch

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm just going to do flat twists and put them in a bun. No more wet buns and heat if I can help it.:rolleyes: I'm transitioning, so my post doesn't really count.

Last edited:

my1goodnerve

How do you bun natural hair?!

My hair has grown quite a bit since I've been in the Hide Your Hair challenge, so I have a few more options for bunning than I've had before. On shoulder length hair, I would co-wash and then pull my hair back into a single braid at the base of my neck or in the middle of my head and tuck it under using a small claw clip. Now that it's longer, I've been wearing a Southern Tease bun. I do this when my hair is twisted or when I've blown it dry. I could also probably do a wet Southern Tease bun after co-washing, but for now the twists are working fine.
I think I'm going to do extension braids with the hopes of reaching BSB or BSL this summer. I also think I'm going to invest in a steamer for DC's twice a week.

lilsparkle825

OT: ladies (especially those who are discussing pressing/flat irons) what moisturizer do you use in the winter? my coconut oil, which is excellent for both curly and straightened hair, is almost out and i will not be repurchasing it until the spring. i was thinking nourish and shine but it is more expensive.

back on topic: i am formulating a weave regimen right now. right now my hair is straight from a dominican blowout, but i had two back to back and miss my curls. i will wash this out next weekend and wear twistouts and buns for a while.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
OT: ladies (especially those who are discussing pressing/flat irons) what moisturizer do you use in the winter? my coconut oil, which is excellent for both curly and straightened hair, is almost out and i will not be repurchasing it until the spring. i was thinking nourish and shine but it is more expensive.

back on topic: i am formulating a weave regimen right now. right now my hair is straight from a dominican blowout, but i had two back to back and miss my curls. i will wash this out next weekend and wear twistouts and buns for a while.
i use the same moisturizers (Herbal Essences LTR or Cantu Leave-In-both are excellent), but I start sealing with castor oil, or even a bit of vaseline. This keeps my ends in check. :yep:

La Colocha

Ive upped my dc's to 2x a week and im introducing natural butters into my reggie. Also keep my hair in protective styles, twists or plaits and keep my moisture up.

melodies815

I didn't even know I needed to change my regimen for the winter!! Wow, I thought I had learned all the basics, but this is one I didn't even consider.

It's cooler here, and my hair doesn't seem to be retaining moisture like I want it to for the past 2 wks....wonder if the cooler temp has something to do with that.

Great thread! Great information!

cj

Mandy4610

My regimen will stay pretty much the same. I will do a change in products maybe. For sure I will replace Qhemet Burdock root butter with Qhemet Amla and Olive heavy cream. I might now more cornrows..We will see.
I will make sure I moisturize nightly also.
I would like to DC more often, but I don't have the time, detangling take way too long for me to be wetting my hair more than once a week.
i live in a winter country lol...

i wash once a week(if we get a flash of summer). i usually mix my condish's with what ever i have to hand... honey... veg oil...

i first wash with water (for a while) or with a small amount of poo. then i drench with con and comb?twist in medium or plaits. sometimes i rinse (about 25%) or just leave it. then i drench in oil. this make my hair shine and keep lub for ages! once dry i undo and wear a updo for a couple days- giving my hair to get bouncy again lol so i can wear it out. i use a little water/ oil/ condish mix to prep in the mornings.

i like to keep it simple!
Vegeatble oil?Are you talking about vegetable oil used for cooking? Please excuse me if I sound ignorant. Maybe I am just tired and not putting 2+2 together, but I don't think I have ever heard of vegetable oil being used on hair.

QB products have made my natural hair journey so good. These products are no joke, seriously, they are a heaven sent for me and they spread like a dream, especially the Amla and Olive, wow, I cannot praise it enough. I was not using it over the summer and I just went back to it today and will be using it for the winter again.:lick:

isabella09

Sorry if this is a silly question, I was wondering if anyone has added Honeyquat to their moisturizers during the winter? Was this addition effective in keeping your hair moisturized? :)

Last edited:

Creatividual

Not too much has changed in my regime. I just plan to keep my hair mainly in up-dos loose and when it's in twists. I use castor oil a lot more in the colder months as well.