the worst way to moisturize

Lilmama1011

1. Using oils & butters to moisturize your hair( you need water based products)

2. Using glycerin in the winter (glycerine pulls moisture away from the hair in colder months)

3.Using wash out conditioners to moisturize (they are wash out for a reason, use appropriate leave in products)

4. Not sealing in moisture (if you haven't sealed you simply haven't moisturized)

5. Using appropriate sealing oils (if you have coarse hair than use heavy oils like Shea butter instead of light oils like coconut oil)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130109_223437.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130109_223437.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Ogoma

All these rules should have an 'it depends' after them.

1) But coconut/olive/avocado penetrate so do they moisturize?

2) There seems to anecdoctal evidence for this, but nothing based in science. Plus, it is humid during the winter in some cold places so as worded it is not always applicable.

3) Some rinse out conditioners can be used as leave-ins depending the hair's properties as well some of rinse out conditioners do not contain the scalp-irritating ingredients that would make them bad to leave-in.

4) Depending on hair's porosity, there might be no need to seal. Also, it seems badly written given point #1. A 'properly' at the end of the second section would have put it in better context.

5) Again porosity was left out of the equation.

RazberryDazzle

For some reason my hair seems to love shea butter. I flat twisted my hair with it today after trying coconut oil and olive oil. I like the olive oil for oil rinsing but that's about it. My hair just laughs at coconut oil for some reason.:nono: Sad too because I really wanted it to work. I

nubiennze

I couldn't figure out why none of these natural hair "rules" and raves would work for me until I discovered porosity. My hair loves glycerin any time of year, requires heavy creams as leave-ins (the styling "milks" and their ilk are gone by the time my hair dries), and detests pure coconut oil and shea butter unless they are contained within a product that is to be rinsed out. The moisturize and seal method just left me with stiff, brittle, grease-coated hair.

As with most things in life, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

lamaria211

I use EVOCO to moisturize all the time
A lot of conditioners on the market state on them that they can be used as a leave in.
Never had a problem with glycerine year round

EnExitStageLeft

I think its a matter of what works for your hair. If you hair loves pure lanolin as a moisturizer and pure mineral oil as a sealant, its your hair, go for what you kno

SimJam

1. Using oils & butters to moisturize your hair( you need water based products)

2. Using glycerin in the winter (glycerine pulls moisture away from the hair in colder months)

3.Using wash out conditioners to moisturize (they are wash out for a reason, use appropriate leave in products)
when I was relaxed, the best LI for me was HEHH what is a wash out conditioner. Now as a natural one of my favourite LIs is HV moist 24/7 which is a wash out, but can be used as a LI

4. Not sealing in moisture (if you haven't sealed you simply haven't moisturized)
not entirely true for me, once I use a good LI I dont have to use an oil over it, though I still do :look:. But then again my Lis are usually water based but have some oils in it, so I guess I am sealing sorta.

5. Using appropriate sealing oils (if you have coarse hair than use heavy oils like Shea butter instead of light oils like coconut oil)
My hair is coarse and some of my fave sealers are light oils like jojoba, walnut, apricot and sunflower. the only heavy oil that works for me is JBCO and my hair hates pure shea butter

as many previous posters said, its all up to what your hair likes, dont be a slave to the "rules"

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
5) Again porosity was left out of the equation.[/QUOTE]

This ^^^^ right hear us the TRUTH! I think I just saved my ends by correcting my porosity issue.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ScorpioRising

Professional Lurker
glycerin is bad in the winter???!!!

is this the reason for all my breakage ? *sigh*

It all depends on the humidity in your area, if your area is low in dew points and humidity there are still ways to try to work around glycerin such as using a product with glycerin low in the ingredients, sealing, or using a rinse out product with glycerin in it.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
glycerin is bad in the winter???!!!

is this the reason for all my breakage ? *sigh*

It pulls moisture out of your hair in winter which could cause dryness and breakage. I wouldn't even risk using it now that I know this. You'd probably be ok with something that has glycerin low in the ingredients list.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
My hair loves glycerin year round and rinse out conditioners as leave ins. I've learned if I took glycerin out of the equation, my hair will quickly revolt.

I've lurked on this board long enough to learn that one woman's trash is another woman's treasure and what works for one head may not work for another.

I've learned to listen to my hair and follow her directions (low manipulation, co-washing weekly, dcs weekly, moisturize and seal with grease daily, adding glycerin to everything, incorporating protein for my fine, porous hair). As a result of this, I've surpassed my goal of APL and will most likely, if I continue to listen to my hair, hit BSL by the end of 2013.

ProductJunkie

I think the glycerin things is also relative to where you live... I use glycerin in the winter with zero issues but the humidity where I am is usually about 70% even though its cold. Cold does not necessarily = dry.

And if you mix glycerin with water isn't it already saturated so it wouldn't need to draw moisture... And wouldn't sealing help??

I'm no expert on this just asking questions...