Natural Ladies...can you share your winter reggies PLEASE????

kooskoos

Okay so this will be my first real winter since adopting healthy hair practices almost a year ago, and during the summer my hair did really well. But I feel as though my glycerin- and EVCO-heavy routine won't work in the wintertime because the air is drier. My hair has started to feel kinda dry too, and it's been super frustrating :wallbash:

So...how do you naturals change your reggie for winter??? Are there any products you start/stop using once the weather changes? Can I still use EVCO, or is it true that it will freeze?:perplexed:ohwell::sad:

Thanks for all your help ladies!!!!

MsBoinglicious

Well this winter i will be flatironing the first week of each month (keep it straight for 2 weeks) and the other 2 weeks i will bun or wear 2 strands.

I will also only wash and deep condition once a week (no more mid week co-washes) and use my co-shea-pep butter oil mix (coconut oil, shea butter and peppermint oil) to shield my hair from the harsh Michigan weather and call it a winter!

Nouvelle

Since I'm in braids, my winter regimen will be a little different:

1. Clarify and DC as needed
2. Moisturize/Oil scalp at least once a week

naijamerican

Thank you for starting this thread, because I've been feeling similarly.

Since I still have a TWA (well, maybe not so tiny anymore; it's now 3" long as opposed to the half-inch or even shorter in May :yep:) I plan on deep conditioning two or three times a week. I co-wash every day and will continue that, but my leave-ins will no longer include glycerin. By the end of the month, I plan on twisting and braiding my hair with no extensions (except maybe kinky twists, because I've never tried it). I am strongly considering purchasing a steamer, too.

mscocoface

I am switching from using coconut oil on my ends to castor oil.

I am going to cowash less once a week and/or every other week but keep spritzing in the am and pm particularly the edges and nape area.

More deep conditionings.

This will be the first winter in years I am going to try to just wear my OWN hair, no weaves, extensions or girlfriends (ie wigs). I am talking some years at least 15 or more. Wish me the best ya'll.

Last edited:

tocktick

* Increasing deep-conditioning (from 1x p/w to 2-3x p/w)

* More baggying with oil. I baggy about 2x per week with nothing on my hair usually. I will probably now do a hot oil treatment and then baggy 2x a week. This cuts down on my need to co-wash in the morning.

* Less stretched puffs, more "band-outs".

This is the first winter I've ever had where my hair won't be in braid extensions at all, so it will be interesting to see how my hair holds up.

kooskoos

I am going to cowash less once a week and/or every other week but keep spritzing in the am and pm particularly the edges and nape area.

More deep conditionings.

This will be the first winter in years I am going to try to just wear my OWN hair, no weaves, extensions or girlfriends (ie wigs). I am talking some years at least 15 or more. Wish me the best ya'll.

I've never heard them called "girlfriends" :lachen:
Best of luck with wearing your hair out. Is there a reason why you're switching from coconut to castor oil? My hair is really fine, so I'm afraid of using something so heavy on my ends...
Also...will your spritz include glycerin??

Last edited:

kooskoos

* Increasing deep-conditioning (from 1x p/w to 2-3x p/w)

* More baggying with oil. I baggy about 2x per week with nothing on my hair usually. I will probably now do a hot oil treatment and then baggy 2x a week. This cuts down on my need to co-wash in the morning.

* Less stretched puffs, more "band-outs".

This is the first winter I've ever had where my hair won't be in braid extensions at all, so it will be interesting to see how my hair holds up.

Okay so I've seen that increasing DCs is a common theme here, so I'll have to step my game up in that area!!!!

kooskoos

Thank you for starting this thread, because I've been feeling similarly.

Since I still have a TWA (well, maybe not so tiny anymore; it's now 3" long as opposed to the half-inch or even shorter in May :yep:) I plan on deep conditioning two or three times a week. I co-wash every day and will continue that, but my leave-ins will no longer include glycerin. By the end of the month, I plan on twisting and braiding my hair with no extensions (except maybe kinky twists, because I've never tried it). I am strongly considering purchasing a steamer, too.

My glycerin/water spritz worked soooo well in the summer, but I guess I'll have to figure something else out :ohwell:

Nonie

Still in braids. Might wear my baggy with head wraps and hats more than I did in the summer. I will wash my hair in the evenings instead of in the mornings before going out in the cold. I don't plan to change anything else in my regimen. I'll still wash twice a week, DC on weekends, redo braids as needed dusting as I go along.

Lyoness

It's my first winter natural so it's an experiment for me.
I'm thinking buns an maybe halfwigs and cowashing in the evenings as and when.
If that fails I'll be stalking this thread and bumping it like nobodies business

naijamerican

My glycerin/water spritz worked soooo well in the summer, but I guess I'll have to figure something else out :ohwell:

Yeah, glycerin was my boo in the summer but I've had to call it quits. :ohwell: :nono: All my products that have glycerin in it - even further down the list - have contributed to my hair feeling dry and crunchy. No good. :nono:

kooskoos

Yeah, glycerin was my boo in the summer but I've had to call it quits. :ohwell: :nono: All my products that have glycerin in it - even further down the list - have contributed to my hair feeling dry and crunchy. No good. :nono:

Oh no!!!!! Thank you so much for the headsup! At least now I can start looking for other ways to moisturize. What are you using as your daily moisturizer in the winter???

KizzieNapps

I'm planning on purchasing a diffuser so I can continue to co-wash. I think I may try straightening every once in a while and see how that goes. Also, I want to try and see if I can get my twist-outs to last for more than a few days. If so, I will be rocking those all winter long. In regards to the evco; I stopped using this in August and have switched to jojoba oil until the summer. It causes too much build up for me in the colder months.

isabella09

I’m going to be in braids but :nono: guess I’m going to have to find alternatives to my beloved Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream and Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm as they both contain vegetable glycerin :wallbash:.
I :pray: someone will say they used these products during the winter with no problem.

Last edited:

Truth

I'll be braids this winter soooooo i'll clarify,DC and moisturize as I go ... when Feb comes around I plan to straighten my hair.. after that ..probably some Kinky Twist.... I'ma be a bum this winter.... :)

Rei

1. I'm still DCing once a week. I'd like to up it to two but I won't have the time. I do it on weekends with a mixture of AO's HSR and GBP for protein/moisture

2. I plugged in my humidifier, and run it whenever I'm home with filtered water. Seriously this is the truth! I'm notorious for just sleeping with my hair out and unbraided when I come home late, and in the past when I woke up my hair would be all dry shrunken and crunchy, but with the humidifier, when I wake up my hair is still a bit shrunken but still soft and moisturized feeling. :D its great for keeping moisture in the room to combat the drying heaters.

3. I use my Qhemet Amla and Olive more often now than I did in the summer

4. Co-washing is out, its too cold, lol.

5. Braid hair every night, PS exclusively during the day

Although since I'm in the PS challenge, I'm about to put a sew in in for the winter and BKT the perimeter so that it can blend easier when I straighten it. I'm gunning for APL by New Years!

Rei

I’m going to be in braids but :nono: guess I’m going to have to find alternatives to my beloved Qhemet Biologics’s Burdock Root Butter Cream and Qhemet Biologics’s Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm as they both contain vegetable glycerin :wallbash:.
I :pray: someone will say they used these products during the winter with no problem.

Well...I've used Amla and Olive in the winter with no issues, and my hair usually hates straight up glycerin. (like how some people use glycerin and water in their sprays...can't do that). Everyone's hair is diff, I think you should at least try it. If you find your hair feels more dry then usual, then you can cut it out of your regimen.:yep:

isabella09

Well...I've used Amla and Olive in the winter with no issues, and my hair usually hates straight up glycerin. (like how some people use glycerin and water in their sprays...can't do that). Everyone's hair is diff, I think you should at least try it. If you find your hair feels more dry then usual, then you can cut it out of your regimen.:yep:

Excellent! :yep: I agree and will at least try it first to see if I notice any difference with my hair. Thanks very much :kiss:

honeisos

Down to 1x a week with Organix shea butter shampoo.... deep condish 1 x week aussie or organix and I add more honey now (3 tablespoons) to the dc.
Rinse with a light con (SAMY smooth &sleek)
to style : Feels like silk leave in spray , cantu shea leave in and now that it's fall .. I don't use the (feel's like silk )gel (has glycerin) . it's only good when there is humidity in the air ... I use loreal's soft hold gel (has silicones) does not dry hard at all.
I part my hair in sections and do the shingle method. then I smooth out my hair coil by coil (teri's method )

to sleep: plait my hair in 4 big plaits and 2 strand twist the ends.

JustKiya

The main thing that I change when the weather starts to get cooler is that I start steaming my hair.

Otherwise, everything else stays the same - protective styling in twists, DC weekly, final rinse with an acid rinse, seal with castor oil.

BlackMasterPiece

I bring down the washing to 1x a week and try to DC on the weekends.

Press n Flat Irons hold up flawlessly in the New York winters so I'll be doing alot of them because their so quick to do and easy to maintain, right now I'm on the tail end of rocking a braid-out because I was straightened for 2 weeks so I'll probably be alternating between press n flat irons with braid outs or twists.

I want to put my hair away in some self-installed senegalese twist extensions within the next two weeks as well I find this to be an awesome no maintenence wintertime PS that really gives my hair the opportunity to rest and thrive.

I guess I'll have to put my beloved coconut oil on the shelf for this winter:ohwell:

Last edited:

Lita

Your right about glycerin.My hair does well in summer with it. But Winter no,no...

butterfly3582

More deep conditionings.

We are in the same boat. I know it is going to be HARD for me. But we can do it . Good luck

Spongie Bloom

This will be my first winter as a natural so Im feeling kinda helpless also cause my hair has grown since I cut it (yay) so what I did to it when I first cut it is no longer working for it now, so I'm trying to change things around now and find out what it wants.

naturaline

i live in a winter country lol...

i wash once a week(if we get a flash of summer). i usually mix my condish's with what ever i have to hand... honey... veg oil...

i first wash with water (for a while) or with a small amount of poo. then i drench with con and comb?twist in medium or plaits. sometimes i rinse (about 25%) or just leave it. then i drench in oil. this make my hair shine and keep lub for ages! once dry i undo and wear a updo for a couple days- giving my hair to get bouncy again lol so i can wear it out. i use a little water/ oil/ condish mix to prep in the mornings.

i like to keep it simple!

isabella09

Your right about glycerin.My hair does well in summer with it. But Winter no,no...

Thanks very much :kiss:, think I’m going to give it one try to see if my hair feels any different as it will be hard to say even a short goodbye to my beloved Qhemet Biologics’s products :cry: but if they don’t work, I shall have to find an alternative :sad:.