Do you oil your scalp? Why or why not?

sparkle25

Hello

Before I knew the information I have learned from you ladies in the past, I use to oil my scalp all the time (with crappy hair grease with mineral oil in it :barf:). Then I started on a healthier hare care regime and stopped oiling my scalp. I read somewhere that you should treat your scalp like the skin on your face, and that oiling your scalp actually clogs it and can slow down hair growth. So I stopped oiling my scalp, even with good oils.

What is your opinion on this matter? I use to think it was good for your hair & scalp, but I can't say for sure now as I haven't oiled my scalp in forever....

lovely_locks

I have a dry scalp, and the winters here are harsh. I have to oil my scalp. I have not noticed a difference between my hair growth and oiling and not oiling my hair. I do not use thick oils on my scalp. My hair I use thicker oils and on my scalp I use very light oils. IDK if that makes a difference or not.

JaneBond007

Hello

Before I knew the information I have learned from you ladies in the past, I use to oil my scalp all the time (with crappy hair grease with mineral oil in it :barf:). Then I started on a healthier hare care regime and stopped oiling my scalp. I read somewhere that you should treat your scalp like the skin on your face, and that oiling your scalp actually clogs it and can slow down hair growth. So I stopped oiling my scalp, even with good oils.

What is your opinion on this matter? I use to think it was good for your hair & scalp, but I can't say for sure now as I haven't oiled my scalp in forever....

It's not generally true. Petroleum jelly cannot seep into pores and is a medicinal ingredient. Mineral oil can seep into pores and cause breakouts and scalp sensitivity. I think any true problems were with people who didn't clean their hair regularly and packed on the product. Just do what works for you. Try them out. As for me, no, I do not oil my scalp.

Misseyl

I did a henna mixed with lemon juice a few weeks ago and it left my scalp dry, so I use Sulfur 8 on my scalp once per week. I'll do this until it clears up.

faithVA

Hello

Well if I were to treat it like the skin on my face then I would put oil on it :lol: I oil my scalp a few times a week and I mist it with a liquid. It has help improve the condition of my scalp and my hair.

My scalp feels better when I do. It doesn't itch and burn like it does when I don't use oils.

LiftedUp

My opinion is that it is unnecessary once you have your daily recommended serving of fats and oils.

With that said, I've restarted oiling my scalp because my stylist does it and my scalp is itching me like crazy, hence the reason why I stopped in the first place. I use Elasta QP growth oil. I do not expect and don't believe that I've experience increased growth from it.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Because I have an oily scalp already. I cannot fathom not washing my hair at least twice a week. My hair and I feel gross. Ironically, that is when people tell me my hair looks great, LOL!

TraciChanel

Lucie, yep, my scalp is oily on its own as well. Plus, oiling my scalp makes it itch like crazy! And I get build-up so quickly.

Mskraizy

Yup, I oil my scalp. I used to wash my face with oil....it was actually really good to. But if I don't oil my scalp at least twice a week, my scalp gets really itchy and gets dirty alot faster ironically. I get dandruff easily so oiling my scalp has helped combat that alot.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I don't oil my scalp because I don't and have never had scalp problems. I use oils and butters on my hair. Inevitably, some gets on my scalp, but I make an effort to avoid my roots. I massage my scalp daily because it's purported to aid in growth, thickness, increasing follicle lifespan and strength. I can't say whether any of that works but daily massage feels REALLY good and it makes me more mindful of my hair.

I've seen too many scalps that have buildup from whatever folks put on it to want to risk doing something to put mine out of balance.

Sent using LHCF app

Holla

Never. My scalp is really oily (produces a lot of sebum) so I can't put anything on my scalp. If I do, I will itch for days. I used to think all Black people had dry scalp (esp. since it was historically our custom to oil our scalps) but as I got older, I realized my scalp wasn't having it.

biznesswmn

I used hair grease (dax, always, etc) when i was younger but not as an adult. It seems to make my scalp very itchy. I may try oils on my scalp instead, now that im on this hair journey...tryg new thgs
Now that i thnk of it i hav used oils on my scalp and it didnt itch. I didnt notice anythg special abt my hair when using oils though. Gotta start payg closer attn

LongCurlyLocks

I think oil and grease are two different things but maybe that's just me. Yes, back in the day my granny/I did the grease with the petroleum or mineral oil crap. Now I oil my scalp with the natural stuff; JBCO, Argan oil, Carrot oil, etc. I have very dry scalp so I have to use something. Plus I co-wash anyway so no build up. But my hair sucks most of it up during the day and it's natural so I should be good.

sparkle25

I haven't oiled my scalp (with grease or oil or anything) in several years. My hair grows very well without oiling it, but my scalp is dry and irritated. Would oiling it with natural products containing sulfur help with that? I have ordered a few things from the pomade shop on etsy but I bought that for my edges and the nape of my neck. I am thinking of using it lightly on my whole scalp.

ilong

God's Own
Yes - I oil and massage my scalp daily with a (hopeful) hair growth oil blend or liquid gold (current sulfur oil) to promote growth and a separate oil blend on my hair loss areas to fight/reverse alopecia.