how do you oil your scalp?

RODI

I just finished oiling my scalp and thought I was using it sparingly until I felt it running down my neck. And that's the main reason I don't like oiling my scalp. I probably parted four sections and oiled but that was still too much. How do you ladies sparingly oil your scalp?

Marand13

I only use oil when using sulfur oil. I put it in an applicator bottle and dab it on the scalp between parts & masssage in with my fingers.

I prefer using castor oil on the scalp because i feel like it does not run as much as, say, olive oil would. :yep:

Or you could try a hard oil like coconut.

HTH

Leeda.the.Paladin

I've started oiling my scalp while I deep condition. I put a ton on and then rinse it when I rinse my DC.

OP are you using an liquid oil? Why not use an oil or butter that's in a solid state?

BEAUTYU2U

You might want to put it on your fingers first to see how much you're applying instead of directly from the bottle.

kupenda

You might want to put it on your fingers first to see how much you're applying instead of directly from the bottle.

Precisely. If you're using liquid oil you run the risk of having an oil slick down the back of your shirt. Instead, add a few dabs of oil to your fingers and use them to oil and massage your scalp. Err on the side of caution

NicoleSelah

I part my hair in sections and apply the oil and I put oil in my hand and oil the rest of my hair.

It runs down my neck sometimes but I still oil my hair and scalp. I just use a towel.

southerncitygirl

use an oil, butter, or pomade as stated above...no matter how i try if its oil it always runs down my neck and makes a huge mess. if you don't want to make your own. jane carter nourish & shine, claudies revitalizer iman butter or tiffany pomade and stuff haritage hydrations would be a starting point. our forum has an ongoing discount with claudies and haritage hydrations.

Solila

I usually don't have that issue unless its coconut oil. I dont even put it on my scalp and I already feel it coming down my neck. Its a characteristic of this particular oil. It also tells me its doing its job.

Flawlis1

I either part my hair straight back, from the hairline to the nape in 1/2 inch sections and add the oil.... Or if I'm feeling lazy, I just use the nozzle on the oil bottle to part and oil at the same time.

RODI

Thanks ladies. I'll try the finger tip. The oil I'm using is liquid gold. I'll also try putting the oil in the fridge to solidify it.

FrazzledFraggle

I don't use oil on my scalp at all. What's the oil for? Yes, I'm aware this sounds like a stupid question and I do put a serum on my actual hair to seal in moisture but I don't put anything on my scalp. Is that beneficial?

Jewell

I try to be quick with my nightly hair routine, so I just use a liquid oil in an applicator bottle and use the tip of it to reach the scalp. I dont always oil my scalp, but it is beneficial to me for scalp and hair health, as well as growth because I add sulfur and herbs to the oil. I then use my fingertips to massage it in really well, which prevents an oil slick on my neck.

SimJam

I pour out some oil into a small container (like the travel containers u get at walmart) holds about maybe 1 or 2oz.
Then I section my hair into 4 and use my finger to make small parts and apply the oil with the pad of my finger.

If im retwisting my hair for a twistout, ill wait till ive done that then just follow the parts whem applying my oil.

I always massage my scalp after to get any wayward oil slicks under control.
The only time I oil my scalp is if im adding a growth aid.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using LHCF