Everyone's saying how many weeks they stretch, but how many INCHES of new growth?

HoneyDew

I mean, with everyone's hair growing at different rates, how can the number of weeks be the definitive way to determine when you should relax?

About how much new growth so you actually have at 6, 8, 10, etc. weeks?

If you are growing at a faster than normal rate, are you relaxing more often?

Hey HoneyDew,
I've always stretched, but not with my hair exposed w/o braids or weave.

Right now I have been stretching for 11 weeks this coming saturday and i have just about 1 centimeter of new growth. The front of my hair grows the slowest, and that's what I am looking at, also I have really soft curly roots, so that I can only really tell when I wash my hair.

HoneyDew said:
I mean, with everyone's hair growing at different rates, how can the number of weeks be the definitive way to determine when you should relax?

About how much new growth so you actually have at 6, 8, 10, etc. weeks?

If you are growing at a faster than normal rate, are you relaxing more often?

My last 16 week stretch, I had 2.5 inches of new growth unstretched. For me, it's not an issue of basing when I should relax on how much new growth I have. It's more an issue of timing and making sure I expose my hair to the harsh relaxer chemicals as little as possible. So, doing it every 16 weeks means I can insure that I only expose my hair to harsh relaxing 4 times a year versus the 8-9 times a year that I used to do. For some of us, it's not about growth as much as it is about health and lessening exposure to harsh chemicals and other bad hair practices.

I last stretched to 12 weeks. It's not alot, say, compared to Sylver2, but I'm working out every other day, so that's about as much as I can go. I usually get around 1" or so a month (but had a big jump when I first started my biotin & MSM). So around three inches.

I'm shooting for 16 weeks next time around. I plan on wearing a wash n go bun, or airdrying in bantu knots at night this spring & summer (haven't figured out how the heck I'm going to sleep with those suckers in, though). Hopefully my hair will be at brastrap by then.

A

CantBeCopied said:
For some of us, it's not about growth as much as it is about health and lessening exposure to harsh chemicals and other bad hair practices.

I have read comments like this before and this is the main reason why I envy those that can stretch.

I want to stay away from harsh chemicals, as well, but when I start getting 1inch or more of new growth, I hate the way my hair looks and feels most times.

I hope that as my hair gets longer and I am able to do more styles where my hair is up or bunned or something, so that I can avoid using relaxers as often, as well. :ohwell:

HoneyDew said:
I have read comments like this before and this is the main reason why I envy those that can stretch.

I want to stay away from harsh chemicals, as well, but when I start getting 1inch or more of new growth, I hate the way my hair looks and feels most times.
I hope that as my hair gets longer and I am able to do more styles where my hair is up or bunned or something, so that I can avoid using relaxers as often, as well. :ohwell:

HoneyDew, it's definitely a work in progress. It was very hard to stretch beyond 9 weeks when I first started because I didn't know what to do with it either. It's a matter of learning how to work with the different textures and discovering ways to still look cute without using heat.

I found for me, that frequent co-washing (almost daily) and wearing my hair in buns was the way to go until it grew out long enough to also do twist/braid-outs and bantu knot outs. Also, when it was shorter, I'd do a twist/braid-out and then pin that into a frenchroll to protect the ends and that was cute. It's just a matter of experimenting. I feel your pain though.

But, once you find new ways to look cute and keep that new growth manageable, you'll find it easy to stretch.

I usually do a touch up every 8 to 10 weeks. I get about 1 to 1.5 inches a month so that's good enough for me. My hair usually doens't look like it needs a touch up. But it's touch when I wash it and it starts to shed so I don't stretch longer than that.

My last stretch was 14 weeks and I got anywhere from 1-2 inches. The longer I stretch, the less inclined I feel to relax at the slightest kink in my hair. In my case thats a good thing because I used to be one of those that would relax as soon as I thought I saw some new growth ( which no doubt accounted for nearly all of my breakage!) S

Learning to stretch has helped me retain quite a lot of inches. Its also attributed to the health of my hair and scalp in a very good way.

I have to decide each time I stretch if I'm going to just go natural or not. SO far, I haven't done it, but stretching helps to reaquaint me to my natural texture. (which is pretty darn neat!) Eventually I may just go for the gusto.

From all appareances my hair strand is thickening up a lot, which is frustrating AND exciting, and I'm learning to do a few things here and there with my hair. I may even venture into pin curling once i figure out exactly what that is. :D

-A

I stretch from 12-16 weeks and I usually get an inch of newgrowth unstretced at that time. My hair grows slowly.

FlyyGyrl said:
I stretch from 12-16 weeks and I usually get an inch of newgrowth unstretced at that time. My hair grows slowly.

That's me! It just depends on what section of my head I'm dealing with.

This is a hard one for a 4b/a hair type like mine which doesn't grow that fast.

This last time I went 18 weeks and I got about 2" BUT I also experienced breakage. So I gained in some aspects but lost in others. What I will try this time is to go 15-16 weeks instead. 18 is not for me...lol. I can get to 13 weeks no problem (and get about 1" or so by then). If I can keep going I will but I will not allow breakage again in the hopes of stretching longer..it's foolish.

ETA: My back grows faster than my front and it's softer so it can go longer...I'm usually waiting for my front to get some growth.

Last edited:
Plenty706 said:
Could it be that it is easier to stretch with longer hair?

I think so. When its longer its less noticable, whereas on a really short cut the slightest bit of newgrowth is very apparent. Once your hair is long enough to bun then its a bit easier I think. If you love the bone straight look then it will hard at any length. Every length has its styling options. I think shoulder to armpit is the most versatile though as far as styles to hide/blend newgrowth.

Thank for asking, I wanted to know also.

I stretch 8 weeks and normally get 1-1.5" in that time.:ohwell:

sweetcashew, 1-1.5" a month, girl you are blessed.:look:

When I stretched for 6 months I got about 4 in of new growth.
When I stretch every 12-16 weeks now i get about 2-3 inches of new growth. Thats because I do not comb hair or touch my new growth.

Plenty706 said:
Could it be that it is easier to stretch with longer hair?

to me, it depends more on how you wear your hair... when i started texturizing, i had maybe an inch to an inch and a half all over... but because i was wearing a wash and go and co-washing daily, it was really easy for me to stretch 12 wks... before i bc'd, i could only stretch when i was wearing wash and go's and that was with fully relaxed hair...

When I stretched for 9 months I had about 4-5 inches of new growth. I was disappointed that it wasn't more, but it is about the average of 1/2 inch per month.

Ok, for me I stretched from December 12 (2005) to March 1. I got like 2.5 inches of new growth. PLUS... My hair is noticably THICKER and Fuller all the way down. My hair has always fine and thin, now my strands seem fatter and I am really excited and happy with the results. :yep:

I have been stretching for 6.5 months now, which I thought was impossible since I usually relax every 2-3 months. I have about 3 inches of new growth - thought I would have have way more. Blow drying once per week helps alot to maintain the new growth. I use maxiglide occasionally as well.

Stretching doesn't necessarily mean more growth although it can mean increased thickness of our hair.

The number of weeks of stretching is how often we are putting chemicals on our hair/scalp and the less times we do this, the healthier our hair and bodies are. I've been relaxing 4 times each year which is a lot less stress on my hair than every 6 - 8 weeks.

I am currently in week 18 of a 20 week stretch. I don't measure my hair, I just assume I get the normal growth rate of 1/2 inch per month.

I'm a super stretcher this is my 9th month and counting, I have about 6 inches of NG. When I don't super stretch & do 'regular' stretches I usually get touch ups every 3 months and I have about 2.5 inches.

After 1 1/2 inches of new growth I have a difficult time managing my hair. This is usually around ten weeks post, so that's when I normally relax.

I am 8 weeks post relaxer and I'm dying for another one now. I may leave work and do that right now. I have almost 2 inches of new growth. I went to the hairdresser March 18th for a flat iron and she said that my hair was thick and needed a relaxer. My hair still turned out nice but my roots were nappy (to me). I have stretched to 12 and 16 weeks but the damage to my hair was unbearable....speaking of which, ya'll may see me use that term about my hair for a while because that's how I'm feeling about it lately.:ohwell:

Back