Curly Kid on YouTube

~~HoneyComb~~

^^^ I notice folks (usually the young ones) posting their phone numbers on FB like it's nothing. Some of them don't even have private pages :nono:

yods

I was just about to write something like this. I think parents not teaching their child how to safely navigate through the internet and instead saying "NO! Just don't use it! There are pedophiles!" is...not preparing them for online usage later in life (which is inevitable). I think that's why some of these pseudo-adults don't understand internet safety and need to actually be told not to give out uber personal information (to where someone can contact you/come to your house/job etc....like wtf would you do that?). I mean we teach children what to do if they find themselves in threatening pedo-situations IRL...why not online?

See I get your point I really do but at that age they just don't understand nuiances of how deceitful and predatory people can be. I guess I would rather my kids were kids and enjoyed a little bit of an innocent childhood whilst obviously having information that they can digest at their own level.

I specilize in technology security so I know a lot about what is really out there and man some stuff that is going on involving kids and the internet is :nono:.

Solitude

That's what sucks to me about FB. Full name, current city, home town, current job, School, even phone number are all considered basic info on there
I know how my daughter put the info out there , it was innocent enough-how it transpired.

1 her status says something like 'I'm glad I moved finally' friend she knows comes along that knows our area and says 'Where did you move to? She named the condos. Granted they are huge and cover blocks and blocks -but still I did not feel comfortable with it

2 old friend finds her, posts 'OMG (my daugher's name) I am so glad I FOUND you , I missed you I've been looking for you call me (111)555-1212. My daughter responds, I'm glad I found you too, here is my number (222)555-1212 (for her no biggie) for me :eek2:

3 her status , heading to work or can't wait till I get off' or something like that. Old friend comes along. says 'I'm at work too, I work such and such, where do you work? She answers, not that that is private info anymore since her coworkers are on there as well and they put the info out there themselves.

most importantly she listened to me when I requested her to delete it although it's seen as no big deal on FB , some things we can't control, but the things we can we should be mindful of.

But yeah all of it is considered basic information for FB and many adults are doing it-as well as her friends and coworkers. I don't agree with that ish.

Actually, you don't have to put any of that information on there. You don't have to post any statuses, and you can turn your wall off.

^^^ I notice folks (usually the young ones) posting their phone numbers on FB like it's nothing. Some of them don't even have private pages :nono:

Hmm...for me, facebook started going downhill when so many older people joined :ohwell:. They actually seem to be the least internet-savvy, IMO.

They are the ones who have their pages wide open, put up a million private pictures, and post stuff like, "Tell your mama to call me!! xyz phone number" on my wall.

Not to mention the number of older, married men, private messaging women like me in my 20's trying to cheat on their wives. (BTW, those men - usually co-workers, etc., get deleted or blocked) Facebook was great when it was for college and grad students.

I don't have any issues with Youtube because I'm not deep on there like that, even though I would like to possibly have a channel one day.

~~HoneyComb~~

Hmm...for me, facebook started going downhill when so many older people joined :ohwell:. They actually seem to be the least internet-savvy, IMO.

They are the ones who have their pages wide open, put up a million private pictures, and post stuff like, "Tell your mama to call me!! xyz phone number" on my wall.

Not to mention the number of older, married men, private messaging women like me in my 20's trying to cheat on their wives. (BTW, those men - usually co-workers, etc., get deleted or blocked) Facebook was great when it was for college and grad students.

I don't have any issues with Youtube because I'm not deep on there like that, even though I would like to possibly have a channel one day.

We can agree with mature folk can be just as messy as young folk :lol: --I get that. But I've always thought of FB as being for more a mature crowd--from what I heard, I could be wrong.

A few years ago, I thought that MySpace was all the rave with the younger crowd, some of them wouldn't be caught dead on FB, because they thought it was for "old people" :lol:

In my comment I posted, I said that when I saw phone numbers posted, it was USUALLY with younger people. All that messy stuff that happens on FB happens because people, young or old, are just messy period.

Mad Scientist

I know several years ago posting your home # on he internet wasn't a good idea because with your home number, people can find your name, address, basically they can just find you.

But now with everyone having cell phones, it's not that big of a deal I don't think. I mean I don't post my number anywhere because I don't want people having it. But it's not dangerous, is it?

~~HoneyComb~~

I know several years ago posting your home # on he internet wasn't a good idea because with your home number, people can find your name, address, basically they can just find you.

But now with everyone having cell phones, it's not that big of a deal I don't think. I mean I don't post my number anywhere because I don't want people having it. But it's not dangerous, is it?

I think for minors it could be, right?

Last edited:

NaturalBeauty<3

OT:
I didn't have a cell phone til my first day of college.

Revel in it, ladies, lmbo!

But she's a cutie. I thought the norm was wearing makeup at 16? *shrug*
Who puts on makeup to play outside? I definitely played outside until I was...
well into highschool. LMBO
Perhaps I'm not the best example. Country girl.
But if she's monitored...touche' little Mariah. Touche'.

Mrs. Verde

It is absolutely dangerous. There are databases online that house cellphone information including name and address. It can cost as little as $15. A former coworker used an online company to reverse cell phone check a number on her husband's cell phone. Guess how surprised he AND his mistress were when the wife popped up at her house. Now just think how much tenacity and determination a pedophile could have.

Demi27

It is absolutely dangerous. There are databases online that house cellphone information including name and address. It can cost as little as $15. A former coworker used an online company to reverse cell phone check a number on her husband's cell phone. Guess how surprised he AND his mistress were when the wife popped up at her house. Now just think how much tenacity and determination a pedophile could have.

Well dayum.

~~HoneyComb~~

Yes, and think of a minor posting their cell phone on FB for the whole world to see, esp. if their wall isn't private. It doesn't take much to get an address from a cell phone #. IMO, cell phones can be worse than a home phone for a minor.

I wouldn't want my minor child, IF she was allowed to have a FB page to post her cell phone # on the nets. That would be crazy.

Mrs. Verde

I was just about to write something like this. I think parents not teaching their child how to safely navigate through the internet and instead saying "NO! Just don't use it! There are pedophiles!" is...not preparing them for online usage later in life (which is inevitable). I think that's why some of these pseudo-adults don't understand internet safety and need to actually be told not to give out uber personal information (to where someone can contact you/come to your house/job etc....like wtf would you do that?). I mean we teach children what to do if they find themselves in threatening pedo-situations IRL...why not online?

Well I guess some of the women on this very site are some of the pseudo-adults that you speak of. Didn't we just have an issue on LHCF just a few months ago with people sharing personal information with someone THEY THOUGHT was trusted friend only to have it used against them. Now if this could happen to grown arse women over YEARS (because this person had kept personal information for that long) a 13 yr old is not going to be more internet savvy.

I also think it's presumptuous to assume that parents wouldn't teach their children about online safety. My 16 month old uses youtube to watch elmo videos. So I am well aware how the age children access the internet. Again, I don't understand not allowing a child to make youtube videos with equating it to mean people will lock their kids in the closet to keep them off the internet.

Mad Scientist

Wow, I didn't know you could reverse look up cell phone numbers since there isn't a directory and the numbers are recycled a lot more often than landlines. That's scary though.

Nonie

Wow, I didn't know you could reverse look up cell phone numbers since there isn't a directory and the numbers are recycled a lot more often than landlines. That's scary though.

Yes, you can. Girl, I don't like strangers calling me so I've reverse looked up strange numbers to find out the caller.

BTW, as I watched the video, I thought it was so well made that I immediately got the impression that her folks are involved. She might make the videos but perhaps she doesn't get to upload them till her parents view them.

I watched her Lady Gaga video Christmas Tree and she does have a disclaimer about knowing that song is about sex but she just likes the music and whatnot. I'm not saying that's right, but I know parents who would be OK with that and whose kids haven't turned out to be bad kids but are actually wiser than their years and the pride of their parents. So it seems to me that she isn't necessarily doing this by herself, hence the reason the disclaimer came up first before someone made a comment about it and she then retorted with some cuss words or whatever.

I've seen kids online who seem like they have no guidance but I don't get that sense from her. There are makeup kits for kids so that she wears makeup seems like something fun she probably does with her mom. I actually found myself admiring her mastery of these things and hoped she's just as good in school--an all rounder.

I'm no mom, so I can't say what I would do if it were my child but she seems like she's a good kid and I hope I'm right that her folks are very involved.

Mrs. Verde

Now that you can take your cell phone with you, most people I know keep their number when they move to a different carrier.