White hair stylist on African American Hair! *Video*

MsBoinglicious

I just found this video on youtube. This is a video of a white woman putting a "Thermal Reconditioning" treatment in a lil biracial or African American 9 year old girls hair. She talks about the lil girls mothers choice NOT to put a relaxed in her hair. That all hair is bad hair (even her straight poker hair) until you learn to take care of it then its good hair. That curly coarse thick hair has potential to grow long.

Discus!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTf-JB5ECqg

whitedaisez

The girl's hair is neither curly nor coarse, it looks almost straight when wet. She should try doing that method on an African American hair that is naturally extremely tightly curly with 90% shrinkage. Anyways, the little girl's hair is thick and lush.

MsBoinglicious

^^^ well she did say that she has been doing her hair and she had her first treatment at 6 years old. So maybe over the past 3 years thats just the result of the treatment and its not as curly/shrinkage as it was before the treatments.

but yes it is very pretty!

MoniintheMiddle

The stylist sounds as if she knows what she's talking about. That child's hair is beautiful and very healthy so she must be doing something right

AshCash

I'm not sure I agree with everything she said or that the process should be done on someone so young (starting at 6?) However I wanted to add a little background.

Gina posts on a lot of TR message boards. She is very passionate that TR can be done on AA hair. A lot of people have been skeptical of her claims so I'm guessing that is why she made this video. (I obviously agree with her since I've had probably 7 or 8 by 5 different stylists. Each turned out very well.)

From my personal experience my hair was healthier TR'ed than relaxed. Again only my personal experience.

I can't believe she didn't show the end result though! The flat ironing she was showing is part of the process. After the flat ironing, a neutralizer is put on the hair. That is washed out and then the hair can be blow (or air) dried completely straight without any round brushing.

Overall, I feel from reading her many posts in the past that Gina's heart is in the right place, but she could have tried working with the girl's natural hair more (just because of her age.)

Dani.Nicole

I know we are supposed to seriously discuss the video...but er um...I want me some of this thermal reconditioning stuff! Is anyone not amazed at how straight her hair got WITHOUT a flat iron? That literally blew me away

MsBoinglicious

i thought someone posted about it like 2 weeks ago. it looks like it goes through the same process as the BKT with the wash/blow dry/apply treatment/rinse/blow dry/flatiron. I know nothing about it. anyone got some links!

AshCash

i thought someone posted about it like 2 weeks ago. it looks like it goes through the same process as the BKT with the wash/blow dry/apply treatment/rinse/blow dry/flatiron. I know nothing about it. anyone got some links!

www.lovelyloons.com

Close to BKT except you don't flatiron with the chemical in and after the flatiron, a neutralizer is put on, rinsed and then another blow dry.

whitedaisez

Is thermal hair reconditioning a chemical? Ive never heard of it

Yes it is. It PERMANENTLY loosens the hair texture, like a relaxer. Its supposedly not as damaging but still, I wouldnt do it to my hair.

Remember the stylist said it has to be done "properly". So there is no guarantee your hair is not going to come out without damage.

Also, the stylist to me doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on African American hair like she claims she does. She needs to know that there are many African American hair types and this method is not supposed to be used on the extremely curly hair types.

But this child looks biracial and the stylist is doing the treatment on hair that is naturally NOT extremely curly. If she thinks that little girl's hair is the definition of extremely curly kinky hair, am afraid she needs to go back to beauty school. A majority of African Americans, Caribbeans and Africans have a 4a hair type. This treatment will not be as effective on them.

BostonMaria

I saw it a few days ago and was going to comment, but refrained
I dunno.. I just think that 6 years old is just so young to be going to a salon. Its not even about the money. I mean, you seriously don't know how to manage a 6 year old kid's hair?
BTW I know its not a relaxer.

BlackMasterPiece

I think her heart is in the right place but I disagree with many parts of this video and a few of the points she made.

1) First off, I think little girls should grow up being completely content and happy with their hair texture the way it is, I think we should be doing styles for little girls that can be done with their natural born texture. There are SO many choices, Braids, Twists, flat twists, pixie braids/twists and straightening should be a temporary sometimes thing done here and there and it should be done gently.

I don't believe in putting little girls through permanent chemical processes before puberty. The very process of putting their hair through a straightening chemical process tells them that their natural texture is a "problem" that needs to be resolved. You don't have to tell kids something, they'll get it from your actions.

2) At one point she said "Little girls shouldn't be put in large braids because they'll sleep and it'll rub up against the pillow and their hair wont grow"

:huh: When she said that I was like uuuh NAH homie, not even, medium to large neat plaits are one of the healthiest growth retention promoting styles imaginable for highly textured hair, she REALLY came off uninformed when she said that. Plus almost EVERY black girl sleeps with a scarf so that whole rubbing against the pillow thing is a cultural nuance that just flew right on over her head lmao.

3) Then she said: "We all have bad hair until we learn to manage it"

Again, I think her hearts in the right place but there are better ways of getting the point across. She can say we all have good hair, we just have to learn to manage it, and the right techniques for our type of hair.

Finally, I totally agree with whitedaisez, that girl was bi-racial and barely had a wave to her hair, to do it on her hair and claim that that process is completely safe for all African-American hair is a joke. Most of us have hair in the 4 tightly coily range which is the furthest thing from what that little girls hair was like. She's a lovely little girl though and it did come out beautiful.

Last edited:

LongCurlz

Yes it is. It PERMANENTLY loosens the hair texture, like a relaxer. Its supposedly not as damaging but still, I wouldnt do it to my hair.

Remember the stylist said it has to be done "properly". So there is no guarantee your hair is not going to come out without damage.

Also, the stylist to me doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on African American hair like she claims she does. She needs to know that there are many African American hair types and this method is not supposed to be used on the extremely curly hair types.

But this child looks biracial and the stylist is doing the treatment on hair that is naturally NOT extremely curly. If she thinks that little girl's hair is the definition of extremely curly kinky hair, am afraid she needs to go back to beauty school. A majority of African Americans, Caribbeans and Africans have a 4a hair type. This treatment will not be as effective on them.

Naw I will pass on this, a chemical is a chemical to me:nono:

chebaby

i think all hair is good until you mess it up. but in my opinion you are not born with bad hair and then something makes it good. but i guess i get that she was saying the childs hair was in bad health until she did the TR.....i guess.
anyway it looked good but seems like it takes so long to be done.
also why was one stylist not gettinf the childs ends but the lady talking got the whole section of hair from root to ends?

ETA: i wouldnt do it to my hair. something that changes your texture permantly is the same as a relaxer to me no matter what you call it.

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

i dunno, i didnt like the video. dont get me wrong, the babys hair looked healthy and thick and what not. but i didnt like the fact that she said that doing a chemical process is "the best choice her mother could make". now i'm not a natural nazi, but wouldnt taking care of that child natural hair texture properly be the best choice? i also disagreed with her when she started talking about bad hair... i dunno, i gave the video the side eye personally... but the hair, again, does look very nice.

sumertyme08

One thing she said that I found disturbing was this statement... "this is the greatest choice her mother could make for her hair"....wow really??? it's a chemical process that permanently strips the childs hair of it's texture at SIX. So even though it's not a "relaxer" you're sending the same message to the child...that her natural hair is an issue, that it's not acceptable and should be permanently straightened.

I haven't seen, read or heard any other statements regarding highly textured hair by this stylist other than those in this video but judging by this video if she thinks that child's hair is "very very coarse", I'm confident that she has absolutely no knowledge about AA hair.

When they first showed the girl in the chair the touch up hadn't yet been applied and for 8.5 months of new growth, I don't know if it's just me, but it looked like the little girl had more waves than curls. It saddens me that her mother, who obviously has no experience with textured hair feels as though her childs gorgeous wavy hair is so unmanageable that it needed to be permanently straightened at age 6.

SmartyPants

When she said that about the best choice, I think she was specifically comparing TR to doing a traditional relaxer.

nysister

Interesting. I would not do this for myself or little girl if I had one, as my whole goal is to not have straight hair, but a head full of lovely God given deep dark brown coils.

sharifeh

I was trying to look at her new growth and it didn't look that curly.
I guess she was trying to prove that TR is better than a relaxer. It definitely has to be done less often.
But i don't like the way she was talking...as if AAs only have the relaxer or TR option. I'm not natural and that even rubbed me the wrong way.
I hate that "taking care" of African american hair is relaxing or some other straightening treatment. :perplexed
I was still impressed by the knowledge she does have though and maybe I'm misinterpreting her because the video's purpose was to talk about TR.

Luscious Locks

i'm not going to comment on the stylist. she's slightly more educated than most non black people about black hair--and i do mean slightly. the result was lovely though.

her application of the chemical did give me an idea for apply base when doing relaxer or even just applying a protein deep conditioner. she was VERY precise with her application. i think her technique is great, and i will try to adopt it when doing my own hair.

jamaraa

If it's Japanese strsightening, it works it's best on straight(ish) hair in it's natural state. IOW, pass on by...LOL.

Mz.MoMo5235

i went back to the vid and was pleased by the other commenter's. i was wondering if maybe my comments were "too harsh" as some people might be sensitive

jamaraa

The girl's hair is neither curly nor coarse, it looks almost straight when wet. She should try doing that method on an African American hair that is naturally extremely tightly curly with 90% shrinkage. Anyways, the little girl's hair is thick and lush.

Blacks w/ more typical textures thank this kid's have already been warned off this process. This one's a major "no go"...unless you want NO hair. :giggle:

LOL..who do you know that has 90% shrinkage? That's a whole lotta shinkin' goin' on! :grin:

whitedaisez

Blacks w/ more typical textures thank this kid's have already been warned off this process. This one's a major "no go"...unless you want NO hair. :giggle:

LOL..who do you know that has 90% shrinkage? That's a whole lotta shinkin' goin' on! :grin:

Well, I dunno about you but all black pple with strong african descent that I know have A LOT of shrinkage. check this out:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=408370

For someone with hair that long, that looks like 99% shrinkage to me :grin:

Taina

Not all bi-racial ppl have wavy hair. I am one, and i don't have waves i have very very tight curls and baby growing rocking afro

This was the 3 time she was performing this process on Victoria's hair, and as it is permanent, of course her hair wont look like the first time she did it.

i'm not going to comment on the stylist. she's slightly more educated than most non black people about black hair--and i do mean slightly. the result was lovely though.
She have more education in AA hair than a lot of AA women. I didn't know anything about taking REALLY good care of my hair untill i found this website. I mean i had a very simple rutine. Once per week shampoo-conditioner-rinse, mositurizing with citre shine and stuff like that ...and i do believe i was not the only one out there.

If it's Japanese strsightening, it works it's best on straight(ish) hair in it's natural state. IOW, pass on by...LOL.
No, actually they called it "Japanese Straightening" because they want ppl to believe their hair results will looks like the japanese hair, but i was reading the other day (in an spanish site) that Japanese ppl don't even know about this procedure.