Curly Kid on YouTube

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Compared to the countless girls her age booty dancing to suggestive songs, I think she's being quite age appropriate. She's fully clothed and proud of her hair, plus... at the age of 13 I was in high school. Perspective matters.
This is very true when looked at it this way.

I want her eyelashes, lol.

I'm gonna check out more of her videos when I have the time but I'm so glad that at age 13 she loves her curls. I remember hating mine and I had no knowledge of how to care for my hair.

Lita

Cute little girl/a little grown for my liking (eyeliner & all)...Shes on YT by herself..Not good PARENTS to many sickos out there..... Glad she likes her hair!

Happy Hair Growing!

Solitude

My daughter is 21 and didn't get a facebook page or online access without me till this age and I still Monitor to what degree I can :sekret:

see this is kind of a generation gap type of thing. When I got on facebook as an adult (back in 2005), my mother made a huge deal out of it....um, luckily for me I was grown and paying my own bills and raising a child at the age of 17. I'm finishing my my law degree now, so I think my mother (and father) did just fine on the parenting tip....it's a new day and age. Youtube/facebook are forms of self expression that aren't so foreign and "dangerous" to the younger generation.

My son is 8 and, of course, I monitor all of his activities carefully. He's allowed to play games online whereas when I was his age, we didn't even own a computer. He's been playing games online since he was like 2. My baby cousins ages 9, 12, and 13 also have Facebook pages to share pics and communicate with family. I definitely think it's important to be careful when it comes to online access and kids, but to make broad assumptions about this girl's parents is a little presumptuous.

Back on topic - I didn't get a chance to really look through her videos, but if she is savvy enough to make YT partner, then kudos to the young businesswoman.

Irresistible

I don't think anyone is making any broad assumptions about her parents. Just the Mothers that wouldnt let their daughter be on youtube like that are saying they wouldn't do it.

and I still don't think young kids should be on facebook without just their family on there and monitoring. It AINT that safe. A form of expression or not. My nieces are on facebook closely monitored and only family and close friends. They are 15 and 16. So I guess it's the parents judgment call

I just can't see a 13 year old out there like this- And if it's a generation gap thing ,all I gotta say is I am dang sure glad I was on the other side of this gap for my daughter. :yep:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I don't think anyone is making any broad assumptions about her parents. Just the Mothers that wouldnt let their daughter be on youtube like that are saying they wouldn't do it.

and I still don't think young kids should be on facebook without just their family on there and monitoring. It AINT that safe. A form of expression or not. My nieces are on facebook closely monitored and only family and close friends. They are 15 and 16. So I guess it's the parents judgment call

I just can't see a 13 year old out there like this- And if it's a generation gap thing ,all I gotta say is I am dang sure glad I was on the other side of this gap for my daughter. :yep:

AMEN!!! I am an older mom (40s) with little ones. I am NOT looking forward to the teen years!

ChristmasCarol

ITA with Irresistible and wavezncurlz - our DD who is in college has a fb page, but our 13 yr old and 7 yr old - no way. Severely limiting a child's use of the innanetz will not scar them for life.

As for Curly Girl, she may have aspirations in entertainment, but I'm not convinced that making YT videos about hair will take her any further than acting in a local production of Annie. Seeing little girls wearing makeup turns my stomach - that's not cute to me, just "fass", lol.

I'm of the over 40 generation, too - and I wouldn't allow it.

~~HoneyComb~~

That's right. Thats exactly what I did. no online access without my knowledge, she certainly was not online at 13 or any of her teenage years for that matter without my knowledge, with a bunch of crazies, I have no regrets. not one.

This is how it is in my household. My oldest is now 21, but she didn't have access to our home computer without our knowledge and at 18 we got her her own computer to do as she pleases. She also didn't get a cell phone until her jr. or sr. year in HS when she was able to pay for it herself.

My youngest is 14 and she doesn't have FB, myspace, a cell phone, etc. I fill like she's got plenty of time to have all that stuff once she reaches 18. I don't want her to be distracted by these things because I don't think they provide any benefit to most young kids. She's responsible, but even the most responsible children can sometimes be sidetracked by their peers. She can't miss what she don't have.

I agree with everyone that said that they at least hope that her parents are monitoring her YT account.

Mad Scientist

Wow, she looks so young! Her videos are just as good as anyone older's videos that I've seen though.

I was looking through her vids and she said she made partner but she chose not to get money. So mama probably doesn't know she's on there.

BostonMaria

OMG she's so freakin adorable. I am looking at the comments on her page SMH people are talking to her like she's a grown woman or something.

My DD has long curly hair and could give 2 sh*** especially since I comb it for her every day. I should make her watch these videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JerriBlank

Sooo...she'll be starting high school in a year or two so it's okay for her to wear mu now??? I don't even think its okay for a high school freshman to wear make up,other than the very basics and only on special occasions at that. Young faces dont even need all of that mu! What exactly is the purpose of anyone under 16 wearing makeup on a daily basis anyway? I seriously want to know??? I think its inappropriate for her to do mu vids.

Last edited:

PearlyCurly

Compared to the countless girls her age booty dancing to suggestive songs, I think she's being quite age appropriate. She's fully clothed and proud of her hair, plus... at the age of 13 I was in high school. Perspective matters.

i agree completely.
IMHO, what this little girl is doing on YT is not too grown or inappropriate. There are far much worse things that 13 yr olds are doing and most parents do not know. You can tell your kid not to do certain things but they can always do it when you are not around them. But of course that is my opinion.

BTW she made an Carving Pumpkins video, and her father was in it so i am sure her parents know about her videos:drunk:
Oh and i wanted to say her eyelashes & curls are just beautiful, im jealuzzz:nono:

Last edited:

Spiffy

A lot of the makeup gurus who are now making thousand's of dollars thanks to YT started as teens. I've heard many of them switched to homeschooling due to backlash from peers at school. That would be my main concern for this kid, otherwise, why not?

yods

Yeah she is cute but no it wouldn't be my daughter. There are two issues at 13 she shouldn't be into her appearance enough to do all these videos. The amount of time and effort it takes to make one video, this girl must be working on these videos all the time.

I really don't understand how she could deal with the types of comments normal YTs get. I am 30 and I couldn't handle it. Also facebook have a policy of 14 and overs only so really she shouldn't even have a facebook account.

About ppl saying about young entertainers, etc. The thing is that record companys should and would protect their young stars and provide the necessary security. These ppl are just putting themselves out there without any of the fall back since she isn't making any money.

For those of you who have responsibility for a young person please please please remember that everything on the internet is indexed and out there forever, it cannot be deleted.

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Yeah she is cute but no it wouldn't be my daughter. There are two issues at 13 she shouldn't be into her appearance enough to do all these videos. The amount of time and effort it takes to make one video, this girl must be working on these videos all the time.

I really don't understand how she could deal with the types of comments normal YTs get. I am 30 and I couldn't handle it. Also facebook have a policy of 14 and overs only so really she shouldn't even have a facebook account.

About ppl saying about young entertainers, etc. The thing is that record companys should and would protect their young stars and provide the necessary security. These ppl are just putting themselves out there without any of the fall back since she isn't making any money.

For those of you who have responsibility for a young person please please please remember that everything on the internet is indexed and out there forever, it cannot be deleted.

This whole post is the truth!!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
She has parents, you all don't need to parent her from across the inna nets. If her parent's approve, that's all that matters.

She's a cutie. I giggled when she said that she had an "owee" on her face. Lashes are insane.

Ms. Martina

I'm pretty sure I was in high school when I was 13, so I was def wearing makeup by then. I don't see anything wrong with her having YT access as long as the parents are actively monitoring it. I don't think she needs to be on there doing full body shots for her OOTD though...but the makeup and stuff is fine. She's only 13 and already partner...which is cool!

On a side note, she doesn't look like Mariah to me. Mariah resembles a monkey mixed with the lion from the wizard of oz. I've never understood the hoopla over Mariah's looks. Now vocally...she's the best.

qchelle

I'm pretty sure I was in high school when I was 13, so I was def wearing makeup by then. I don't see anything wrong with her having YT access as long as the parents are actively monitoring it. I don't think she needs to be on there doing full body shots for her OOTD though...but the makeup and stuff is fine. She's only 13 and already partner...which is cool!

On a side note, she doesn't look like Mariah to me. Mariah resembles a monkey mixed with the lion from the wizard of oz. I've never understood the hoopla over Mariah's looks. Now vocally...she's the best.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Daaaaaang! :lachen:

smwrigh3

I would have no problem with my child doing this if she wanted to. yea there are prevs out there but they dont always hide behind computer screens they could the bus driver, teacher, shoot even the school photographers. As a parent I would view every video before being loaded and I would so read all the yoututbe emails with her. Mascara at 13 yea I can understand it.

As a parent I would to rather teach my child how to safely use the internet and social networking sites rather than keep them from it.

qchelle

I would have no problem with my child doing this if she wanted to. yea there are prevs out there but they dont always hide behind computer screens they could the bus driver, teacher, shoot even the school photographers. As a parent I would view every video before being loaded and I would so read all the yoututbe emails with her. Mascara at 13 yea I can understand it.

As a parent I would to rather teach my child how to safely use the internet and social networking sites rather than keep them from it.

I was just about to write something like this. I think parents not teaching their child how to safely navigate through the internet and instead saying "NO! Just don't use it! There are pedophiles!" is...not preparing them for online usage later in life (which is inevitable). I think that's why some of these pseudo-adults don't understand internet safety and need to actually be told not to give out uber personal information (to where someone can contact you/come to your house/job etc....like wtf would you do that?). I mean we teach children what to do if they find themselves in threatening pedo-situations IRL...why not online?

Geminigirl

No it wasn't that serious to me, but your response seemed irked when I don't think people, myself included, were trying to be negative towards her in any way. So if you are irritated and want to debate/argue about it...I don't have anything to debate about, that's all.
yea me either. like i said i was irritated last night and didn't mean to come off as being harsh. i just didn't see why their was such a big outcry for to look out for pervs when there are pervs literally everywhere. And I def wasn't trying to debate about this topic just contributing my opinion.

iri9109

I was just about to write something like this. I think parents not teaching their child how to safely navigate through the internet and instead saying "NO! Just don't use it! There are pedophiles!" is...not preparing them for online usage later in life (which is inevitable). I think that's why some of these pseudo-adults don't understand internet safety and need to actually be told not to give out uber personal information (to where someone can contact you/come to your house/job etc....like wtf would you do that?). I mean we teach children what to do if they find themselves in threatening pedo-situations IRL...why not online?

i dont think parents should necessarily totally keep their kids off the net... and they should properly educate them on how to use it, and monitor their usage...but i also dont think its the best idea to have them uploading videos by themselves on youtube at 13...and its not like she's justin bieber and she's singing or playing an instrument or something...she's putting on makeup and brushing her hair...

Irresistible

In my situation, my daughter had no interest in social networking sites, until she asked me about it. Thankfully after helping her get set up she saw what she was missing, and found out she wasnt missing that much at all-she really only interacts with our family and her friends-it's not some great interest in her life whatsoever. She never came at me like I kept her from something that was a need or of great importance in her life :yawn:

I saw a vid of this lil girl last night, about 3 times I think she said her hair was ugly and that she looked ugly or horrible, she also has a full on make up routine-not just some mascara-I just ain't gonna get it :wallbash:

Last edited:

qchelle

i dont think parents should necessarily totally keep their kids off the net... and they should properly educate them on how to use it, and monitor their usage...but i also dont think its the best idea to have them uploading videos by themselves on youtube at 13...and its not like she's justin bieber and she's singing or playing an instrument or something...she's putting on makeup and brushing her hair...

ITA. I hope her parents know what she's doing an are monitoring/helping her. I don't really understand how they could be oblivious about the whole thing if she's always in the bathroom for long periods of time talking to herself. And if she were singing/playing an instrument I would hope so too. I'm of the belief that a pedophile will still exhibit pedo-like tendencies regardless of what the child is doing.

As for facebook, I am a strong advocate for it going back to 'for college people only'. The children and the old people on there annoy me and they don't know what they are doing :lol:

Irresistible

That's what sucks to me about FB. Full name, current city, home town, current job, School, even phone number are all considered basic info on there
I know how my daughter put the info out there , it was innocent enough-how it transpired.

1 her status says something like 'I'm glad I moved finally' friend she knows comes along that knows our area and says 'Where did you move to? She named the condos. Granted they are huge and cover blocks and blocks -but still I did not feel comfortable with it

2 old friend finds her, posts 'OMG (my daugher's name) I am so glad I FOUND you , I missed you I've been looking for you call me (111)555-1212. My daughter responds, I'm glad I found you too, here is my number (222)555-1212 (for her no biggie) for me :eek2:

3 her status , heading to work or can't wait till I get off' or something like that. Old friend comes along. says 'I'm at work too, I work such and such, where do you work? She answers, not that that is private info anymore since her coworkers are on there as well and they put the info out there themselves.

most importantly she listened to me when I requested her to delete it although it's seen as no big deal on FB , some things we can't control, but the things we can we should be mindful of.

But yeah all of it is considered basic information for FB and many adults are doing it-as well as her friends and coworkers. I don't agree with that ish.

Last edited: