Coconut Oil

marie

I discovered a huge jar of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil under my husbands cabinet. It is solid & softens when I rub my hands together. I've heard so many rave reviews about coconut oil. My question....How do I use it?! Do I condition with it, use it as a daily conditioner, apply only to ends....etc.. Thanks!!!

TexturedTresses

I use it for everything. I use it to pre-poo by itself or added to something. I use it to deep condition. I use it to seal in moisture (the unscented kind). I use it on my skin (the unscented kind). It really is great.

DaRealist

YES! :lachen:

You can do all of those things with coconut oil. There was a thread recently related to this as well. In my siggy I have a link to a challenge about using coconut oil as a pre-poo and I believe it has information on other uses too. (It's the link in that thread where the information is)

I use coconut oil in my daily moisturizer and I also mixed some in my conditioner bottles so that when I CW my hair will be softer.

Simply_Kelz

I use it in my DC's, as a sealant after cowashing, on my face at night .. it's the best thing that ever happened to me.

cutiebe2

I use it in my hair and as lotion. I used to have the unscented (refined) kind but now I can't find it anywhere!. The scent in the unrefined oil fades after a few mins so its not that bad

Ivonnovi

My hair is fine and thin. I've found that this is one of the few oils that does not weigh my hair down.

marie

Thanks guys for all the great advise. I'm really excited!!! I've been wearing my hair up in a bun just about all summer!!! It needs lots of moisture and strength!

Classic

I've been using it as a sealant, especially on my ends. Whatever leftover I have on my hands I use on my face at night. My skin feels so soft afterwards - I love the way it smells and the fact that its not greasy.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I use it for everything. I use it to pre-poo by itself or added to something. I use it to deep condition. I use it to seal in moisture (the unscented kind). I use it on my skin (the unscented kind). It really is great.
Me too..I use it for everything... hair & skin

natieya

Yeah, coconut oil is the best! I did my first henna treatment recently and coconut oil was the only thing that got my hair feeling soft and silky again. :grin:

SoSweet08

I just started using this as a pre-poo. I'm loving it so far. I cook with it also. Feel free to rub some on your body as well.

praisedancer

I use Coconut Oil for almost everything. You can use it for hair, skin, and food. Just make sure it's organic and unrefined. I use it to seal my ends, mixed my pre-poo, I use it as a part of my deep conditions (I add about a teaspoon). It makes your skin feel divine, and it doesn't leave that greasy feeling (for me it doesn't). It's a healthier choice than butter and a lot of other greases we cook in IMO. HTH

The Princess

I use it as a sealeant, no problems. Im going to use it as a pre-poo tomorrow. See how that works. I love coconut oil. Since purtian pride had a buy 1 get 2 free, im go be luving long time....

Platinum

Where do you ladies find this?

I found some unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil at Walmart near the pharmacy. It's a 16oz jar in the vitamin aisle, I think it's about $9.00. They also have the refined version in the grocery area near the cooking oil for about $5.00.

EOAA

I found some unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil at Walmart near the pharmacy. It's a 16oz jar in the vitamin aisle, I think it's about $9.00. They also have the refined version in the grocery area near the cooking oil for about $5.00.

ooooh thanks Platinum, Im going there today to pic up some.

dcprdiva

You can get a BIG jar from your local farmer's market too.... Well, at least for the Atlanta ladies the International Farmers Market in Dekalb off 285 (I think exit 40?) I got like a 16 oz for about $5.00.

~*Tigget*~

Is there really a big benefit difference between refined and unrefined?

My thought on that is NO as for applying it to hair, I haven't heard any different. Maybe if you take it internally it makes a difference but for hair it really doesn't matter....IMO

jry2lnghair

I Love, Love , Love coconut oil. I use it every day & night. Coconut oil & shea butter are about the only things I use in my hair right now. I love how the Shea butter make my ends feel..soooo soft. I also use them both on my skin. One thing I notice since using the coconut oil, it make hair appears darker, which I love. I get my coconut oil directly from home (Belize). If I know of someone who is going or coming to the state, I usually asked for her/him to bring me back a gallon, which last for a very long time. I also cook with it.

I'm going home in September, so i will be stocking up on my coconut oil.

Menina Preta

My thought on that is NO as for applying it to hair, I haven't heard any different. Maybe if you take it internally it makes a difference but for hair it really doesn't matter....IMO

I thought that there was a difference. The refining process takes out some of the nutrients and other good stuff in the coconut oil. In general, it's usually best to use unrefined oils from what I've read. This is what I learned on here.

NigerianGirl

I am using spectrum unrefined coconut oil. and I have been using it religously for my pin curls for the past week. I am very pleased with the results that I am getting. It also softens that massive amount of new growth I have coming in.....

marie

Wow!!! I didn't know coconut oil was so popular!! I put some on my hair this morning before bunning my hair. It isn't oily at all & it gave me shine.

danigurl18

I am using spectrum unrefined coconut oil. and I have been using it religously for my pin curls for the past week. I am very pleased with the results that I am getting. It also softens that massive amount of new growth I have coming in.....

where do you get this from?

PeggyFair

I get mine from Nutiva.com and I buy mine by the gallon. I use it for both my skin and hair. It's too unhealthy too cook with. My skin is never ashy and my hair is so strong and shiny.

Classic

The gallon sounds like a good idea. I got mine at a health store but they only had the regular size jars. I tried it as a prepoo yesterday. I used a shower cap and rinsed after my workout. I'm on my 8th month stretch and my ng is feeling so soft. A definte keeper!

infojunkie

I get mine from Nutiva.com and I buy mine by the gallon. I use it for both my skin and hair. It's too unhealthy too cook with. My skin is never ashy and my hair is so strong and shiny.

Quick question Peggy, where on Earth did you hear it was unhealthy to cook with? From what I understand it's one of the healthiest oils to cook with, even better than EVOO.