Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

sunshinebeautiful

locabouthair said:
doesn't the virgin one make your hair hard when your outside?

I have a tub of organic unrefined coconut oil (Spectrum Brand) that I bought from Whole Foods. The first time I used it, I just slathered it on and rollerset my hair. Like a dummy, I went out in the cold cold cold winter air without any kind of head covering :eek: and I remember touching my hair and commenting that it felt hard. As soon as I was inside, my hair softened up to normal. It did do its job of sealing in moisture in my hair though. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know anything about the types/brands of coconut oil. :confused:

LocksOfLuV

sunshinebeautiful said:
I have a tub of organic unrefined coconut oil (Spectrum Brand) that I bought from Whole Foods. The first time I used it, I just slathered it on and rollerset my hair. Like a dummy, I went out in the cold cold cold winter air without any kind of head covering :eek: and I remember touching my hair and commenting that it felt hard. As soon as I was inside, my hair softened up to normal. It did do its job of sealing in moisture in my hair though. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know anything about the types/brands of coconut oil. :confused:

yeah coconut oil does that. it solidifies at colder temperatures. it serves as a good purpose to me (and this damn ohio weather) since it actually seems to help block out the cold air from my strands.

anyways, i think if you only used a tad you shouldn't have that problem. i don't know though.

sunshinebeautiful

LocksOfLuV said:
yeah coconut oil does that. it solidifies at colder temperatures. it serves as a good purpose to me (and this damn ohio weather) since it actually seems to help block out the cold air from my strands.

anyways, i think if you only used a tad you shouldn't have that problem. i don't know though.

Yeah, I liked that about the coconut oil too. I'm in MI and it gets really cold here too. It did seem to provide an extra barrier between my hair and the cold/wind.

melodee

I brought it to seal moisture for winter---but dern it---so far this "winter" has been LAME!!! ( 63 degrees:( )

Babygurl

I LOVE coconut oil, I add it to most of my conditioners and I always apply it to my ends when I bun, the moisture is CRAZY and its EXCELLENT for shine! I also like it because its so light that I can even use it when my hair is down and still get my swing on!

sexyaqr

After reading this I think I am going to buy some coconut oil. I remember my mom using this in our hair back in the days. As a kid I did not really like the smell. But I may just try this