Does the type of Coconut oil used, matter?

whitedaisez

Is there a difference in effectiveness with using regular and virgin (or extra virgin) coconut oil? I want to start pre-pooing and doing hot oil treatments with coconut oil, but extra virgin coconut oil is quite expensive to be using large amounts of it this way. So can you use regular kitchen coconut oil with equal results?

constance

I think there are two differences (quality of the coconuts & the extraction process) but I have only been interested in the latter. I only buy "cold pressed" oils. Chances are, however, that "cold pressed" coconut oil/olive oil will also be "extra virgin." PS. I always find better prices online.

Last edited:

Whimsy

I don't think there's such a thing as extra virgin coconut oil, i may be wrong though.
Gotta be honest, I've gotten great results with every brand and type I've tried.

whitedaisez

I don't think there's such a thing as extra virgin coconut oil, i may be wrong though.
Gotta be honest, I've gotten great results with every brand and type I've tried.

Ya there is. But I found it a bit expensive and was wondering if it was the same type that others here in the forum use.

Whimsy

Ya there is. But I found it a bit expensive and was wondering if it was the same type that others here in the forum use.

I read somewhere that what's marketed to us as extra virgin isn't actually that. So we may as well buy the non extra virgin. Save some $$

charmtreese

The only type of coconut oil that has worked well for my hair is the liquid coconut oil from Natures Way.

venusfly

I think you will get results whatever kind of coconut oil you use, but I usually get Nutiva Brand Coconut Oil which says Extra Virgin and Organic. The general idea is that it hasn't been too refined and had all the good stuff taken out, which is what the refining process does.

Some oils I also look for it to say Cold Pressed or First Cold Pressed (Avocado, olive, grape seed), which just means they didn't use a lot of heat to extract the oil because again, heat is the refining process is supposed to affect the good stuff in the oils.

And finally (if you really want to get anal :lol:) First Cold Pressed meaning the first batch of oil extracted, rather than the second or third batch, the idea being that the first batch of oil pressed has more good stuff in it than the second or third batches pressed from the same batch of fruits (more diluted).

I guess they all probably work fine, but I think the less processed or refined the better, especially if it's just a few dollars more.

Last edited:

Misseyl

I make my own cocoanut oil from coconuts, any Jamaican on here knows how to do it. I love cocoanut oil, no matter how much I use, it does not leave my hair greasy.