Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

chayil0427

Ladies

I went over a male friends last night and he gave me a massage with some extra virgin coconut oil (yea...freaky I know, but hey it comes back to hair :lol: )...anyway this oil was amaizing...it instantly just melted into my skin and had a wonderful scent. I so wanted to ask him for some to take home and put in my hair :lachen: . Anyway, has anyone tried this in their hair...I'm dying to order some and give it a whirl...it's the softest, lightest oil I've ever come in contact with even though it's semi-solid in the container.

Chayil

I just googled extra virgine coconut oil and found several websites ...here's one...

http://www.primaldefense.net/coconutoil.htm?ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=Coconut+Oil&ovcrn="virgin+coconut+oil"&ovtac=PPC

camellia

I love virgin coconut oil. Sometimes I add it to deep conditioners (with honey of course!;) ) and sometimes I just rub a little bit on my hair for shine and softness.

cmw45

If I'm not mistaken, the "Extra Virgin" in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is derived from the "first pressing" of the olives which takes place within 24-72 hours of harvesting and that the acidity of the oil oil produces is less than 1%. What does it mean for Coconut Oil to be "Extra Virgin?":confused:

Thanks.

Can

Mahalialee4

I get mine in the Islands and it smells just like coconut and is thick creamy and can go from fluid like state to solid depending on the temp. Great on the Hair too. HTH

lisajames96

cmw45 said:
If I'm not mistaken, the "Extra Virgin" in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is derived from the "first pressing" of the olives which takes place within 24-72 hours of harvesting and that the acidity of the oil oil produces is less than 1%. What does it mean for Coconut Oil to be "Extra Virgin?":confused:

Thanks.

Can

the "extra" is just a marketing term. I get mine from PP, and they use that word. A little false advertising, but they sell good stuff.
-lisa

Royal Glory

I just bought some yesterday. I used a little on my hair for added shine and mosture. Plus I like the smell. I can't wait to try it as a hot-oil treatment.

MzOptimistic

Royal Glory said:
I just bought some yesterday. I used a little on my hair for added shine and mosture. Plus I like the smell. I can't wait to try it as a hot-oil treatment.

Royal Glory, are you using the one from PP? and Do you have to melt it? or Do you just rub it in your hands and let it melt and then apply it to your hair? I would like to know how to use it better because the Coconut Oil that I have is solid form and I used it or my ends but I want to find other ways to use it:)

preciousjewel76

I got a tub of extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil from GNC (Emerald Laboratories brand), and while it's great on my hair and skin, I don't care for the smell. It doesn't smell like coconut at all. It actually smells faintly like bacon grease, LOL. The smell fades very quickly, though. It's labeled as "unrefined, undeodorized, unprocessed". What type of coconut oil are you all buying that actually smells like coconut?

P

patient1

I've tried almost every brand. ``````````
My fave brand comes from From Nature With Love. Their extra virgin coconut cream is wonderful. BUT recently, I purchased the coconut oil from Walmart Louan. It has the same texture and properties as the more expensive brands for only 2.99 for 31.5 oz. I'd suggest you buy that first to play around with it and see if you like it and what it does for your hair and THEN, if you like it, purchase a higher priced product.

Just as a side note, the coconut oil used by many Indian women is very inexpensive so don't attach price to it's ability to perform. I'd use the more expensive brands for consumption.

p1

Royal Glory

tsmith said:
Royal Glory, are you using the one from PP? and Do you have to melt it? or Do you just rub it in your hands and let it melt and then apply it to your hair? I would like to know how to use it better because the Coconut Oil that I have is solid form and I used it or my ends but I want to find other ways to use it:)

I bought mine from the Vitamin Shoppe yesterday. I forgot the brand, but it is pure organic extra virgin coconut oil and it is solid. I just rubbed a little in my hands and it melted right away.

I might use it tonight as a pre-poo.

mermaid

I got mine from Vitamin World.
Good stuff!
My dingaling BF tossed the tub on the bed in the guest room one night (umm, some of my stuff has been overtaking our bathroom so I now have the guest rrom for my overflow products and clothes and shoes:look: ) and at night it was solid but this was during the summer so of course it liquified during the day and I smelled it and found a big ol' cocnutty patch on the mattress because the tub was sideways and it leaked!!!!

ak46

I'm actually at this moment deep conditioning my hair with coconut oil added in the conditioner. This is my first time deep conditioning with it so I don't know exactly how it'll come out but I have hot oiled with it and I like it. It's very light ( I don't like heavy oils in my hair).

chayil0427

lisajames96 said:
the "extra" is just a marketing term. I get mine from PP, and they use that word. A little false advertising, but they sell good stuff.
-lisa

Actually I believe it's called extra virgin because it's not processed...its just pure coconut oil.

luvlonghair

Yup, this is the one I use on my hair, and wouldn't give it up for nothing, along with Asante Oil, this is the only other oil I'll use on my hair:grin:

LocksOfLuV

preciousjewel76 said:
I got a tub of extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil from GNC (Emerald Laboratories brand), and while it's great on my hair and skin, I don't care for the smell. It doesn't smell like coconut at all. It actually smells faintly like bacon grease, LOL. The smell fades very quickly, though. It's labeled as "unrefined, undeodorized, unprocessed". What type of coconut oil are you all buying that actually smells like coconut?

I just bought some coconut oil from the health food storee, it is extra virgin unrefined pure coconut oil (in the solid form). It smells so delish!! I just had to taste it:lol: .

The correct name of mines is "Organic Coconut Oil Unrefined" made by Spectrum naturals!

Ingredients: 100% mechanically (expeller) pressed naturally unrefined organic coconut oil

Last edited:

shocol

I got this from www.fromnaturewithlove.com: Virgin coconut oil, as it has come to be known, differs from regular refined, bleached and deodorized coconut oil as it is extracted from freshly cut coconuts, not the dried copra. It has not been subjected to high temperatures, solvents or refinement procedures. The exact method of extraction may differ among the various virgin coconut oils available on the market, however, only an oil that starts with freshly harvested, healthy coconuts, and ends with the least amount of moisture possible, will result in a high quality Virgin Coconut Oil. Unfortunately, there is no set standard yet for producing Virgin Coconut Oil and therefore, locating a supplier for a superior quality virgin coconut oil can prove difficult. Beware of oils that look cloudy when completely liquid or oils that smell of burnt rubber or rancid coconuts. Our 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is obtained from freshly harvested coconut meat that has been grated and then expeller pressed to produce the coconut milk. This milk is then centrifuged to separate the milk into coconut solids, water and oil. This separation is so thorough that the oil has no moisture left in it to promote rancidity, and the oil does not need to undergo any further heating to remove moisture. This method yields the finest, creamiest, most flavorful coconut oil possible. This unique cold process extraction takes place within hours of opening the coconuts, and it conserves all of the nutritive, functional components of coconuts such as squalene, tocopherols and sterol. Virgin coconut oil is a light, penetrating oil with excellent shelf life and stability. It smells of fresh coconut milk. Virgin Coconut Oil performs similarly to Kukui, Jojoba, Illipe and Shea butter. In countries where it is produced, it is a food source and has been found to be the best source of monolaurin, a well known antiseptic substance found in breast milk.

chayil0427

I think it's worth noting that there's a huge difference in regular coconut oils and extra virgin...extra virgin is just on a whole nother level.

Chayil

LocksOfLuV

chayil0427 said:
I think it's worth noting that there's a huge difference in regular coconut oils and extra virgin...extra virgin is just on a whole nother level.

Chayil

YES YES YES!!!! I was gonna make a thread about that. I actually use to use the parachute one and it IS NOTHING LIKE THE UNREFINED ONE. Nothing.

InJesusName

I picked some coconut oil up tonight but did not buy it. I am trying to recover from PJism. It looks like I have to go buy it now. :lol:

angellazette

I used to always use coconut oil. I don't use it as much now but I loved it. Great shine, softness, all that. I may use it again when/if I flat iron.

StrawberryQueen

LocksOfLuV said:
YES YES YES!!!! I was gonna make a thread about that. I actually use to use the parachute one and it IS NOTHING LIKE THE UNREFINED ONE. Nothing.
Wait! What's the difference b/t extra virgin, and unrefined?